Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

2903 Baystar Ignition Battery

I have my 2014 Baystar in my shop and go out to play around with it since it is new to me. I turn the battery disconnect on when I am in it and off when I am not. After about a month all the batteries were dead. I could not use the disconnect for lights and the motor would not start. I jumped the generator and let it charge and then backed it out and charged all the batteries. The battery to start the motor seems to be going dead again. Is there a reason for that? Do I have to charge it all the time so that it will start? Appreciate any advice to help me keep the batteries at a full charge. Thanks
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With your coach in the shop is it ever plugged in to a 120 outlet?
If it is the battery cut off has to be left on for your
BIRD System to keep all your batteries fully charged both house and chassis.
Only turning on BCO when in coach will slowly discharge the batteries.
The Bird System needs power to do its job.
My coach is plugged in 24/7 all the times and I still have original starter battery 10 years old.
In my signature below are three links you need to read to find out more about your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Our little Baystar is going on two years old. I have never turned off the salesman switch. Or the icebox. We keep it plugged In 24-7 when it is at home. If not plugged in your batteries will go down. So if you can plug it in, and leave the salesman switch on. There is always a draw on all the batteries, even with the switch off. Not much, but a draw. If outside the little solar panel that Newmar puts on the roof, might keep the batteries charged. But it only being 5 amps it isn't going to do a whole lot. And it only charges in sunlight.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

First you keep in shelter so the solar charger on the roof can't work to charge your batteries. Next you need to turn off everything when you leave including the Carbon Monoxide alarm the refrigerator and all water pump switches. Double check the Bay Light switch on the left side of the entry stairs. That is the one with the red light when they are on. Then turn off the BIRD switch. That is the one that says Use or Store. I have never replaced my chassis battery in the 5 years I have had my Baystar but I did kill my house batteries after 2 years by not turning off the refrig and the CO1 alarm.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

I have a 50 amp cord that I can use 2 adapters with to make it go to a cord to a 15 or 20 amp outlet? I have plugged it in before and hear a thump kind of a noise. I guess that is normal? I have not kept it plugged in but will plug in in and leave it plugged in. Had no idea that I should do that. Leave the battery disconnect & refer on? My refer is off when I press the battery disconnect. I know if I open the door the step light comes on but thought everything else was off. Do I need to run breakers off if not plugged in?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The thump is your transfer switch operating from the power switch from Gen to shore, no problem.
Do not need fridge on unless you want to and the adapters will work to supply the 110 or 120.
Solar panel is only for the chassis battery drains from radio, ECM,TCM, when coach maybe parked no hook up's.
Information here on solar panel.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtraveler View Post
I have a 50 amp cord that I can use 2 adapters with to make it go to a cord to a 15 or 20 amp outlet? I have plugged it in before and hear a thump kind of a noise. I guess that is normal? I have not kept it plugged in but will plug in in and leave it plugged in. Had no idea that I should do that. Leave the battery disconnect & refer on? My refer is off when I press the battery disconnect. I know if I open the door the step light comes on but thought everything else was off. Do I need to run breakers off if not plugged in?
And be sure to shut the hot water tank off, both electric and gas. We just leave our fridge on as we always have stuff in there and don't want to unload. Then were always ready to go I run the step switch in the other mode, where it does not retract with the motor off. In that mode the light underneath never comes on. The switch is above the door with all the others.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as your plugged in no need to worry about currant drains.
Meant to mention if your house batteries are drained a better charge would be a stand alone 12V battery charger to bring them up faster.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #9

Ok I have plugged it in, left the refer, water heater and battery disconnect off. The inverter side top light that says ac in is on which I guess means all is well. Thanks for your help!! Oops I guess I am suppose to leave the battery disconnect on?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi roadtraveler,
When the coach is connected to shore power the battery disconnect switches should be in the position they are in when you use the coach. I say this because I get confused when the words off or on are used with regard to these switches.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Thanks Gary. When the disconnect is on my lights, radio etc. will work. If the disconnect is off then when I am in the MH nothing will work. I think that means it should be on?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #12

Thanks you all for your advice. I feel much better now that I am plugged in.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
YES this switch should be on" in use" all times your coach is plugged in or using it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi roadtraveler,
Based on the definition you provided, the disconnect switch should be in the on position for the chassis battery and in the "use" position for the coach battery(s). Like 007 posted the picture of the coach battery(s)switch. Some coaches have a separate switch for the chassis and coach batteries. Some coaches have one switch for the coach batteries only and no switch for the chassis battery(s). I do not know how your coach is wired. Use the 007 post #13 picture as a guide.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery