Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

$3,500 to replace shower valve in 2018 DS

My shower has stopped delivering cold water to the shower (both the shower head or the hand held wand) - but still has good pressure and flow from the hot. Of course that doesn’t work because it is far too hot to use.
I took it in and just got a call from the dealer and he said they couldn’t figure out how to access the the plumbing for the shower so they called Newmar. They told them that I have an early model of a new shower design. The design is such that to gain access you have to break the mirror in the bedroom wall! Replacement of the mirror cost $800 to $1,000 from Newmar. The dealer says the labor and parts could easily add another $2,500. Newmar has refused any responsibility.
Anyone else had this problem? I don’t have any use for a RV that doesn’t have a operating shower.
Any ideas?
Duane Frederiksen
2018 Dutch Star
duanetf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanetf1234 View Post
My shower has stopped delivering cold water to the shower (both the shower head or the hand held wand) - but still has good pressure and flow from the hot. Of course that doesn’t work because it is far too hot to use.
I took it in and just got a call from the dealer and he said they couldn’t figure out how to access the the plumbing for the shower so they called Newmar. They told them that I have an early model of a new shower design. The design is such that to gain access you have to break the mirror in the bedroom wall! Replacement of the mirror cost $800 to $1,000 from Newmar. The dealer says the labor and parts could easily add another $2,500. Newmar has refused any responsibility.
Anyone else had this problem? I don’t have any use for a RV that doesn’t have a operating shower.
Any ideas?
Duane Frederiksen
2018 Dutch Star
Wow! That’s is ridiculous, have you tried removing the cover for valve, and playing with the adjustment it should have a valve screw one for cold and for hot, also have you been using a lot hard water? That sometimes clogs things up

Zzotte
Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #3

Any plumber can replace a shower valve body. It’s easy, you could do it yourself.

My class a is 20 years old. To replace my valve body I would also have to tear apart a wall and break/remove a mirror. These things weren’t designed to be replaced.

Thankfully though, almost every shower body should be serviceable from the front, that’s how normal home units function. You need access to replace seals/washers/etc when they fail.

Call Newmar , find out what shower valve is installed and Google how to service it...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Take a picture of the shower valve and post it. If possible determine manufacturer and possibly model number. It may be the type that you can work on it from the front.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #5

So it's only the shower? All other sinks you can select cold or hot or mix?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanetf1234 View Post
Any ideas?
Duane Frederiksen
2018 Dutch Star
What's so special about the mirror? If what they told you is accurate and that's your only choice, you order a mirror from a glass shop and you and a friend install it. Piece of cake.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Duane - I had a similar situation so I may be some help. This was in a 4369, I don't know your floor plan. Our Aqua Miser blew out it's light early on and I was amazed to see what had to be done to replace it. Take down the mirror, go through the wall. That device is right next to your shower valve.

The point is that the mirror can be removed by someone who is competent. It can be done but it takes care. The mirror is held on the wall by a couple of external clips but more importantly by double sided tape behind the mirror. A thin blade can be used to slowly work across the back of the mirror. It then needs to be cleaned and remounted with new tape. Figure that you will be charged a couple of hours labor but you should not need a new mirror. If the dealer say otherwise find a different talented dealer who knows how to do it.

I assume that the shower valve manufacturer will warranty the valve so your cost there should be covered.

Before you follow up on this try blowing air in a reverse direction through the water line in case there is construction debris stuck in the valve. You might get lucky.

Tom
Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Duane, I would call Newmar directly, and tell them that you supported them when you bought your coach, and now you would appreciate a little support from THEM. On the mirror, heat up gently with a heat gun, or small portable heater set on high heat on the vanity, blowing toward the mirror for an hour or so, remove the clips, and slip a thin piece of wire, maybe .020" safety wire behind the mirror, slowly work it around the mirror, "sawing" it back and forth to cut through the tape, and remove the mirror. If it DOES break, aside from the 7 years of bad luck which just started you should be able to have a glass shop cut a custom mirror for less than $100.00. Don't buy from the dealer or Newmar. Access the valves, and go from there. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Note: as stated above, air blown backwards in the line may solve your problem, I would try that first!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Duane - I had a similar situation so I may be some help. This was in a 4369, I don't know your floor plan. Our Aqua Miser blew out it's light early on and I was amazed to see what had to be done to replace it. Take down the mirror, go through the wall. That device is right next to your shower valve.

The point is that the mirror can be removed by someone who is competent. It can be done but it takes care. The mirror is held on the wall by a couple of external clips but more importantly by double sided tape behind the mirror. A thin blade can be used to slowly work across the back of the mirror. It then needs to be cleaned and remounted with new tape. Figure that you will be charged a couple of hours labor but you should not need a new mirror. If the dealer say otherwise find a different talented dealer who knows how to do it.

I assume that the shower valve manufacturer will warranty the valve so your cost there should be covered.

Before you follow up on this try blowing air in a reverse direction through the water line in case there is construction debris stuck in the valve. You might get lucky.

Tom
Mine is a 4369. also, all other sinks work fine.
thanks for the ideas!
duanetf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #10

I'd like to see a picture just so I know what a $1,000 mirror looks like. Probably tempered glass so it might be difficult to break but I can't imagine a mirror that cost that much.

I replaced the shower faucet in my 2019 CS for about $40. The faucet was mounted to a metal plate. Removing the 4 screws in the plate allowed enough space to reach the connection on the back of the faucet. Installed a new one, smeared on a little sealant and remounted the plate with faucet attached.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #11

The dealer that you went to has already told you that they are NOT competent to solve your problem. Why not talk to a local plumber and see what they say. Can't be worse than what you have already been told.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #12

Likely just a Newmar tax. Try another shop that can get a little more creative. I just put a large mirror in a rental house for $100
Old 02-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The mirror can be removed with a G-String.

That is.. a thin guitar string, slip it behind a corner and in a sawing motion slit the tape.
Hold on to the mirror.

Some times the tempering slug in shower valves get stuck from sitting. Try gently banging on it with a block of wood. Place the wood on the valve and strike with a hammer.
Good Luck
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #14

Does the water heater have a bypass valve that you could open slightly to mix the hot water with cold coming from the tank? Might be a cheap solve to reduce the water temp.
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, shower, valve