Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #1

My dealer just called to tell me that Newmar's scheduled one week July shutdown is now going to be a 3 week shutdown.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #2

My dealer just called to tell me that Newmar's scheduled one week July shutdown is now going to be a 3 week shutdown.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

guess there is no reason for me to hurry up and order that coach we have been working with them on. They had told us 8-9 weeks from the date we ordered, if you factor in the additional 3 weeks it won't be here in time for the trip we have planned with the kids this fall. I will start working on a plan B, thanks for the heads up!!
utarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

I have a coach on order that is supposed to be factory delivered on August 4th. If there is an additional two week delay on top of that I will be looking at a Plan B as well. It has already been pushed once before as they shut down a week earlier this month. Hopefully my August date already has some room built in....hopefully.

Has anyone confirmed this with Newmar? I have an email into the factory rep I am working with for verification.
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If there is an additional two week delay on top of that I will be looking at a Plan B as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure just what a "plan B" would entail and whether or not you're actually thinking of losing your deposit and buying another coach, but with the industry the way it is, I think Newmar is making a fiscally sound decision to shut down a few weeks in order to cut costs.

I'd certainly be discouraged as well if I were waiting for my coach as you folks are, but is it really worth considering plan B?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have an email into the factory rep I am working with for verification. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Contacting the factory for details is the proper thing to do.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #7

After I heard about the shutdown, I contacted the factory, and it was verified. My coach, which was ordered April 24 will be built "mid September".
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

I'm not sure just what a "plan B" would entail and whether or not you're actually thinking of losing your deposit and buying another coach, but with the industry the way it is, I think Newmar is making a fiscally sound decision to shut down a few weeks in order to cut costs.

I'd certainly be discouraged as well if I were waiting for my coach as you folks are, but is it really worth considering plan B? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plan B would be looking for an alternative coach. Luckily I never signed a purchase contract with the dealer so I will be able to get my deposit back. My situation is a bit different than others in the fact taht I have sold my home and I am taking my family on the road for a year. I can not go homeless for another three weeks. Therefore I will look at Plan B. Hopefully my currently scheduled pick up date will stay the same since they just recently pushed it out.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 AM   #9

Will this 'Shutdown' effect the service???

I am there on July 7 for 3 Days, I guess if they don't get finished, I will have to make another trip!!!

Rick
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #10

Just got a call from Newmar and my coach won't be affected by the shutdown! Very Thankful!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will this 'Shutdown' effect the service??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Only production is shut down.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Latitude:
Will this 'Shutdown' effect the service???

I am there on July 7 for 3 Days, I guess if they don't get finished, I will have to make another trip!!!

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saw Dirk's response that service ordinarily wouldn't be affected, but respectfully disagree to a degree....

When I was in Nappanee and needed a cabinet repaired as a result of a refrigerator replacement, the cabinet was made on the production line.
As the service guys were working on a Thursday and production was not working on Friday, I had to wait until they made the cabinet on Monday for
the service guys to reinstall it on the following Tuesday.
If in fact this instance was repeated, there'd have to be some arrangements made for the folks in the cabinet shop or someone skilled in
that trade at least, to make the cabinet.
In high line I know that Nevin and Jason both worked together in the cabinet shop prior to becoming service techs and with the proper tools and materials they'd get the job done.

How this would happen in the regular service line I'm not certain....

Depending on what was on my punch list, I'd make a decision whether or not to drive to Nappanee during those three weeks.
Of course, having been there seven times in a year I'm a little more shell shocked than the average bear.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #13

Thanks Bob

I hear Ya on the decision to go or not!!! But My Warranty is over the end of June so I "need" to get things documented!!
If I have to go back So be It!!!

Rick
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #14

FWIW: the hand lettered sign in the tour office states: "June 20th thru July 13th PRODUCTION is shut down."

Darla said she will continue conducting tours, and Larry said he will still be here working as usual. Today (Friday) there was no production, per se, but lots of workers were taking inventory of everything from supplies to hand tools, and a few units were getting the final touches, like awnings, so they could be placed in the delivery driver PU lot. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote