Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

30 amp only power -what can I run?

We are looking at a MA4018/4118 or DS4081 as our target coach. We will often likely only have 30 amp service. I know it would be limiting, but can the dryer run on 30amp and the rest run off batteries during the drying time? Assume no AC needed, and likely not even things like a microwave or heat (would use diesel for that).
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You have a good handle on this ... if you have a energy management system set to 30a it will shed .

With no other major draw the drier should be ok.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

That depends on the dryer. Confirm that its a 120 volt dryer and uses less then 30 amps and the answer is yes.

Look at the circuit breaker. If its a double breaker, no.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
30 amp service is 3,600 watts. That's the top limit that you can pull and even then if constantly it will trip the breaker as they will only hold the max for a finite time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
we run everything in our couch on 30 amp
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

On my coach there is no way to split the shore power load between a particular 120v appliance and 12v loads (battery power) Any 12v devices will draw from the battery, but the battery will simultaneously be drawing from the converter which in turn will load the shore power together with any 120v appliances. I suspect most coaches operate the same way.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

They way I tell it to my wife is like this.

15 or 20 amp, you get 1 big item; toaster oven, microwave, hair dryer, AC, etc
With 30 amps you get 2 big items
With 50 amps do what you want.

There are some variables to this depending on how much your convert or other loads are fans, tv, computer, etc. If you want to run off of your batteries without your convert running, just flip the breaker. In my case I don't even have a converter as I use my inverter or solar to charge.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are in the same boat we're all in. Yes, 30A requires a more in depth understanding of your coaches wiring...but it is made really easy by the Power Management System.

Forgive me if I am telling you what you already know...

The power management system is automatic, in a manner. It looks at the line phase, and will default to 30A as it's limit if it doesn't see 50A service (240v +/- differential between L1 and L2). So...what it does, is control up to 6 loads...which are prioritized...and can shed these loads to prevent overloading your allocation of 30A. It starts with block heater, and then the two electric water heating elements, then the a/c units. You may or may not even know it's happening. The Magnum Inverter can also help out by using the battery storage to add a short duration burst, along with battery charger cutout.

That said...if you turn on the washer dryer and induction cooktop all at the same time...you might succeed in stomping the management system.

If you want to reliably run two a/c units...then having MicroAir easy starts installed on them is a huge help.

With a little more nodding, you will hardly notice 30A as a limitation. I have solar, and have added the ME-BMK and ME-ARC. I can tell my Magnum system to only use shore power IF the SOC drops below my choice setting. I usually set 80%. This means...the outlets, entertainment, fridge, microwave, lighting, etc...are being powered by the Batteries&Solar. Thus leaving all 30A from the shore pole to do nothing but run my A/C units. This is very very helpful parked in direct sun here during our Florida Summers...

Hope this helps...

50A is grand...but with a little planning, 30A isn't all that bad either.
Yes...you asked about the dryer, with No A/C's running...you're good to go. Even if you had them on, the mgmt. system will shut them off as needed. The items which rely entirely on shore/gen power are A/C units, electric water heating, block heater, induction cooktop, washer, dryer. Most other items can work as long as you have plenty of battery charge to run the inverter.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a 4 day trip to a small (14 site) campground down in Blacksburg, VA on the New River at the end of July. It was in the mid 90s in the DC region but the change in elevation and tree cover instead of asphalt brought the temperature down to the low 80s for the 4 days we were there.

We set the EMS to 30amp, put the Oasis on burner instead of AC and that was about it. The EMS has a priority that it gives to each device and it will power the most preferred. So with 4 of us and 4 dogs the EMS gave priority to the front AC, then middle then rear - and with the temps in the low 80s and some good shade the temperature stayed right were we set it about 74 degrees.

There were only 2 things we had to do manually.
  1. Before we ran the microwave if one or more of the AC units was running we would nudge 2 of the AC units up a degree so they wouldn't kick on while we were using the microwave.
  2. Day 3 was a Saturday and all of the campsites filled up and our progressive surge protector did exactly what it is designed to do and cutoff the power since the voltage was too low. So for about 3 hours we just ran off the generator (and cranked the AC down to 70 for those 3 hours so we could let it creep back up w/out taxing the overworked park electric when we turned off the generator about 5pm).

Earlier in the week we had been at the beach in DE (Seashore St. Park) and it was approaching 100 and there isn't any shade there. I was monitoring the power draw there and we were often using 70-80 AMPS of 110v.

So same coach same occupants (human and canine) but very different power needs depending upon where you are and what you are doing.

Hope that helps you.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewRiverCampground.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	279933  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Got this some time ago, I believe from someone on this forum. It may help.

Appliance or Electronic Equipment Estimated Amps

Air Conditioner (X number of A/C) 12-16 Amps
Blender 5-6 Amps
Coffee Maker 5-8 Amps
Compact Disc Player 1 Amp
Computer (Laptop) 2-3 Amps
Converter 1-8 Amps
Crock Pot 1-2 Amps
Curling Iron <1 Amp
Drill 2-6 Amps
Electric Blanket 0.5-1.5 Amps
Electric Fan 1 Amp