RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
3126 engine removal

Just searching for the procedure for removing a 3126 Cat engine from my Newmar Dutch Star pusher.
I'm not sure where to start! Looks like it could be quite a challenge from what I am seeing.

TIA
rabdnomaidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

What is wrong with it that requires removal of the whole engine?

And, verify this is a rear radiator/CAC not side radiator/CAC coach.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #3

My I ask why you are removing the engine?

A lot of work can be done in frame. I worked for a coach co in Australia and aside from a total rebuild most work was done in the coach. I realize that the DS is more enclosed..

When or if you remove it, just be careful. That engine is very heavy. You will need a special lifting attachment.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 01 DSDP is currently at the Albuquerque cat house getting a transplant due to a dropped valve in number six cylinder.

I have not seen it but the shop foreman tells me they have a specialized hydraulic lift to raise the coach up high enough that the engine can be lowered out the bottom.

he also mentioned they will pull the engine and transmission as one unit then separate them out in the open on the floor where they have room.

I was quoted US$8500 plus whatever incidental pieces are needed. Filters, oil, etc

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

That's the way I'd have to do mine if I ever had too , out the bottom .

Trans hangs from the back of the motor so easier to remove on the floor .

Sounds like they have the system down.

The rear bumper , rear frame crossmember and possibly the trailer hitch would have to come out if you tried to go out the back.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

From what I read about my '02 Winnie with the 3126 Cat, you remove the entire back shell of the RV, Not a big deal, just a few screws and bolts. Than you remove the rad by dropping it down into a pit. So far so good. Now move it out so it's not over the pit and using a tranni cradle remove the tranni.

And that's all I remember. Shop needs to have big equipment for big vehicles so have the work done in a truck shop or a school or city bus shop.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

[Mod Edit]

At 1300 lbs , without the transmission , even I wouldn't consider this a DIY job.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
One cylinder is egg shaped? Possibly from the factory? Has to be over bored and sleeved, so Iv'e been told. It only has 90,000 miles on it, so I am thinking it was a factory error, but how am I gonna know if a new sleeve and piston is gonna fix it? I am in to is so deep now, I can't quit!
Thanks for the reply
Old 11-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
x2 on in-frame if it can be done. And you can have confidence in sleeving it, but are you sure that is what it needs, and all it needs? How’d they come up with that diagnosis without the engine disassembled?
Old 11-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
It was towed to a small shop @ $3500.00, so is kinda stuck there and they are doing everything they know how to do and are very respectable people, but this is even a little over their heads I think! The engine only has 90,000 miles on it, so I think it was a factory error, but worried why? and if it will be fixed in the end. Wondering if the crank would have anything to do with it? Why did this happen anyway? uno?
Old 11-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!
Their plan is to remove the bumper and go out the back way. Hope it is all worth it, the engine only has 90,000 miles on it and one cylinder is egg shaped and I am wondering why? Could he crank be an issue too? Just hope it is all worth it!
Thanks for the input
Old 11-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #12

I had a valve break and drop onto the top of the #6 piston and hammer itself into it. The shop did NOT remove the Cummins 5.9 engine. They worked from underneath and from up in the bedroom. The machinist guy was a heavy drinker so they got to do it twice, once for free. Rebuild worked fine for several years after.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tore engine head off because it was cracked from an overheat issue.
replaced with reconditioned head and started and wouldn't build power, idled fine, but wouldn't power up. From there all sensors were changed and New turbo and Heui pump and lift pump were changed $ and the EMS was checked. A year into the project now. And a Caterpillar mechanic asked if the pistons and crank were ok? So head was pulled again and they found one cylinder was egg shaped? Now I am questioning if it was a factory defect, and if so how do we know if the crank isn't off in some way??? Getting desperate and expensive.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
It is side hyd fan cooled radiator.

Tags
engine, removal