Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Reviewed my new rig today. Overall quite pleased.

There are a few items I am really concerned about.

First and foremost, vibration at 50 mph and higher. Dealer pointed this out on his test drive. Dealer called and gave Newmar the business because their driver didn't point it out after driving it 500 miles. I am working directly w/the owner who is on Newmar's advisory council.

Initial thought was that the tires are out of balance. The dealer and I drove it to a very good tire place, handles all of the dealer's coaches and large trucks. He balanced the fronts and checked the bead. Said it was out of balance slightly and is now fixed. He said, Michelins do not leave the factory bad.

We took it for a drive again and still the vibration. I went to the back where it was more pronounced. Dealer is taking coach back to the tire place tomorrow to have the rears done. The owner of the tire place said the rears are tough and it will leave a mark on the wheels. Not sure what he meant but, I am confident this guy knows his stuff.

Please help w/any advice. I do not want to take delivery w/a chassis problem like this. In making my decision, I started w/which chassis was best. I am supposed to take delivery tomorrow and immediately go on a shakedown cruise.

Secondly, baggage doors are sticking out on both sides at the bottom, i.e. not flush w/the side. Some close very hard. Don't know if this is from being on an uphill parking position or not. However, they should close easy and be flush w/the side.

While reviewing mine, I met the owner of an identical coach who said they have changed the door latch mechanism/handle and put covers on them. Please help.

Finally, perhaps related to the above. Some of the compartments were damp inside after a wash. In fact, the external entertainment center TV was wet all over. (I have it noted in case of future failure.)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Reviewed my new rig today. Overall quite pleased.

There are a few items I am really concerned about.

First and foremost, vibration at 50 mph and higher. Dealer pointed this out on his test drive. Dealer called and gave Newmar the business because their driver didn't point it out after driving it 500 miles. I am working directly w/the owner who is on Newmar's advisory council.

Initial thought was that the tires are out of balance. The dealer and I drove it to a very good tire place, handles all of the dealer's coaches and large trucks. He balanced the fronts and checked the bead. Said it was out of balance slightly and is now fixed. He said, Michelins do not leave the factory bad.

We took it for a drive again and still the vibration. I went to the back where it was more pronounced. Dealer is taking coach back to the tire place tomorrow to have the rears done. The owner of the tire place said the rears are tough and it will leave a mark on the wheels. Not sure what he meant but, I am confident this guy knows his stuff.

Please help w/any advice. I do not want to take delivery w/a chassis problem like this. In making my decision, I started w/which chassis was best. I am supposed to take delivery tomorrow and immediately go on a shakedown cruise.

Secondly, baggage doors are sticking out on both sides at the bottom, i.e. not flush w/the side. Some close very hard. Don't know if this is from being on an uphill parking position or not. However, they should close easy and be flush w/the side.

While reviewing mine, I met the owner of an identical coach who said they have changed the door latch mechanism/handle and put covers on them. Please help.

Finally, perhaps related to the above. Some of the compartments were damp inside after a wash. In fact, the external entertainment center TV was wet all over. (I have it noted in case of future failure.)
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #3

Given the amount of money we spend on these luxury motorhomes, I would refuse delivery until these items are corrected to your satisfaction. I wouldn't allow myself to get into a long, drawn out resolution of the problem after delivery. You will not be happy! If the problems are not resolved quickly before you take delivery, I would insist on a substitute unit. These are not insignificant issues you have raised. Take the time to read the "saga" in this forum started by someone who just took delivery of a new Essex. This could happen with any brand of coach. Be firm with the dealer.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #4

I agree with Rick, however I would approach it logically. Wow, I love the coach, let's get this deal done. I only ask that the vibration be resolved and the basement door issue be corrected with no leaking. These issues are minor in nature and I realize it is in the best interest both the dealer and buyer to get these things completed and get the dealer paid. Guys let's get this done. All can be done within one day.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ask if they use high pressure washer to clean coach. To much water pressure maybe forcing water by door seals into compartments. The door latches can be adjusted so door closes flush.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 AM   #6

I have a Freightliner that had a HORRIBLE vibration in the back end. It ouuld come and go about 10 times a minute and would drive me crzy (that's how I got this way). Anyway, my local Goodyear dealer put some stuff called CounterBalance Beads in all 6 tires (supersingles on both back axles) and the problem vanished! The measured vibration in the steering wheel was reduced over 75% to the point it was not detectable by a picky driver (me). Being an experimental truck, I'm always doing ugly things to the tires, so I like the idea that I won't have to rebalance them again.

Apparently, these beads are larger than some of the similar-sounding powders that tend to clump up if you get a little water from an air hose.

You might give this product some consideration.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #7

That didn't come out right. I'm not an experimental truck; it is. I need to proof-read more before I hit 'Post'.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Is the ride heighth adjusted properly? Check all four corners for proper adjustment. I'm not experienced when it comes to pushers, but I have read where if the ride is not adjusted correctly, that the drive shaft will be out of alignment. That could be what is causing the vibration. Have the dealer check that. It also has to be rechecked after you load up the rig.
As far as the bay doors, can you tell if a simple adjustment of the latches will cure it?
Mike
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree on the tire balancing powder/beads. Not sure what the tire guy meant by 'leaving marks on the tires." I would ask them to try Equal balancing powder for the tires...I had that installed in my new Goodyears and it is smooth as silk...and I'm driving the 'lowly Freightshaker', not one of those higher-dollar Spartans .

As to the vibration, I would have them carefully check the drive line universal joints. There have been reports of some U joints leaving factories without enough grease and that can cause them to wear prematurely and vibrate.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Brought up the suggestions mentioned here and the Dealer had already brought up the ride height possibility w/Spartan. That looks good.

Universal Joints: first they haven't had enough time to wear and second would vibrate at all speeds according to the Dealer.

Two probable causes are rear tire balancing or an out of balance drive line.

However, this morning early, the dealer found a coolant leak. The coach is at a Cummins shop now. Hopefully will be able to get out on the road today.

This is my last chance for a shakedown cruise before leaving on our big trip South.

I keep asking myself, what would Bob do?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what I've read about U joints in short drive lines, I'd ignore what the dealer says and insist that someone look carefully at them and make sure they are properly greased.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #12

The tag axles, which this is, is not affected near the same as a single axle as far as ride height to U joint angle as the drive shaft is substantially longer.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have same connection for coolent that Bob G. had on ESSEX it was a failure of hose fitting between two pipes it split. Look on his large post he had pics of the failure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
javajelly I have a friend with a Newmar KS. He has developed a vibration in the rear twice, once at 7400 miles second at 19,000 miles. The vibration was universal joints and driveshaft. He told me the vibration started at 50MPH and up.
Personally I would insist that they be check before delivery
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote