Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

4369 Kitchen Slide

First time for everything. My kitchen slide is is binding on something. Iím not familiar with what would cause a bind. Iíve checked both motors and everything is secure. Both motors are engaging but only move the slide a few inches before they torque out.
Is there an adjustment or can you help with what to look for?
Thanks
Winepress
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #2

Retract the jacks and air up the suspension, then try again. Should be on air bags in the future, as jacks can twist the frame.

If parked on extremely unlevel spot, move coach to better spot and try again.

Are you plugged into shore power or generator running to supply extra juice to batteries ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Each coach manufacturer has different leveling procedures before extending slides. Follow the advice of pasdad1 as he has a similar coach.

Please report back your results so others will benefit.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winepress:
Your motors may have lost their programming.
I've attached the reprogramming procedures I received from CS at Newmar.
Hope this works for you.
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slide Out Programming DSC100.pdf (1.51 MB, 69 views)
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Winepress".....do the reprogram procedure that MikeyG gave you. Print it out and have it in your hand, so you can follow the reprogramming procedures. It has a few steps, but is really easy. I kept the printed pages in my 3 ring binder I keep in the coach for emergency repair type stuff.

My control panel was located between a "C" channel where two bay doors meet. You had to look up into the channel to see it. There are only two screws holding it in place. Unless yours is easier to access than mine, remove the screws and drop the panel so you can operate it more easily. Just follow the directions.

First you put it in to program mode, and remove the old program. Then you move the slide out and teach it the new position. I moved mine out until the foam was just starting to seal against the wall and set that as the out position.

I brought the slide in and watched the slide locks, when they reached a right angle to the slide and were flat against the wall, I made that the in position.

Lastly, if this is not your issue, the only other thing could be the big plastic cable protector, looks like a large bicycle chain, that moves in and out with the slide. On mine, it's under the sink and you have to remove the cabinet floor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Just one thought. When the slide stops is it skewed? Take a tape measure outside after it stops and measure the distance from the outside wall of the coach to the outside edge of the slide.
If the slide is not coming out the same on both sides then one of your motors has failed. The good motor will drive the slide only so far before the counter on the motors donít match up causing the slide to stop.
If the slide is skewed do not try and reprogram the slide. Serious and expensive damage will occur. You will need to determine the bad motor first and replace it before reprogramming.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
This might be too obvious but did you check your slide locks?
Old 07-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #8

Thanks for everyoneís input. I will check the function of the motors and look at the floor under the sink tomorrow morning. I did check the locks and the programming and that is ok. Itís definitely something binding the free movement of the slide.
More to follow tomorrow.
Thanks again
Old 07-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a small opening next to each motor where I was able to stick my phone into and take photos, both directions under the slide.

When I pulled up the cover under the kitchen sink, I found a piece of cardboard, about 6" x 18" that was moving around under there and getting caught, but hadn't done any damage.

Lastly, take a look at the awning topper. If it has the metal cover, make sure that is not binding up. On my Girard toppers, I actually lube the metal cover where the connected cover panels pivot/meet. Once you have it out a little bit, maybe get a ladder and see if the topper is binding, by pulling on it.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #10

Follow up.
I removed the floor under the sink, all was ok. The only thing I found that was off was the bracket that holds the right side motor to the frame had shifted. This causes the sprocket not to sit correctly in the center of the cogs.
Two of the bolts were loose. I loosened the remaining bolts and put the bracket back to center. Tighten back up and all seems to be fine. More bolts to check. If they loosen again, I will use some Loctite.

Have to put a plug in for Mike at Tom Lindstrom. Sent a text and he called me this morning and we ran through all the possibilities.

Thanks for all your help. Learned more about my coach.

Photo is where the motor bracket bolts to a frame assembly. If yours has moved, itís easy to see as there will be a lack of paint visible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	636.8 KB
ID:	334970
Old 07-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a note.....on this particular motor/transmission (kitchen slide), it's easier to remove the bolts that Winepress outlined to remove the motor, than it is to try and remove the motor separately. The entire bracket comes out and then removing the motor can be done on a bench. The benefit comes when you try and reinstall the motor, it has to be perfectly aligned, by installing the bracket with the motor preinstalled, it goes in with a lot less of a hassle. Don't ask how I know.

Those bolts use a lock washer and you can crank on them and make them tight.

Glad Mike (at Lindstrom's) was able to help you.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I hope Mike's suggestions work for you Winepress.
Yes, Mike and the rest of Tom's team are great.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #13

I will add that a couple of years ago I did the SLS suggested stud and Nordlock washers. There has been zero movement on the motors.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I will add that a couple of years ago I did the SLS suggested stud and Nordlock washers. There has been zero movement on the motors.
Some kitchen slides have plates under the slide that has four bolts, shoulder bolts, to guide the slide plate out straight, if one is loose or missing the slide will come out off center and not close correctly.
This slide thread covers kitchen slides and others that's found in the big sticky.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide