Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

7 pin towing connector on 98-2002 Dutch stars

My 2000 Dutch Star 3565 with Spartan chassis has a 7 pin towing connector at the rear. There are 6 wires going into the connector. However there are two wires, orange, and a black that are tapped to the outside of the harness. I believe they may be used to give 12 volts to towed vehicle or something else.
I want to utilize one of these wires for my brakemaster LED light on the dash that tells me when the brakes are being applied in the toad. Newmar says they should be coiled on left side of steering column back on front bulkhead. After 2 hrs I still haven’t found them. If anyone with the years I’ve listed can help I would appreciate it immensely!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had both a 2000 3865 and 2002 4090 DSDP. Open up the hatch in the dash and look, mine were in there, they were wrapped up in the wiring there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #3

Arkansas RV-

It's always a bit of hunt to find the wires under the dash for these coaches.

Many of us use the "blue" electric brake controller wire to feed a dash-mounted LED to tell us the toad brakes have activated. That's because you won't be towing a toad and trailer at the same time, and the "blue" wire should be run already from the back to a connector under the dash. The signal to the dash LED will use the corresponding "blue" wire in the existing umbilical between coach and toad, eliminating the need to use the Newmar orange or black "spare" wires and also the need to use the Roadmaster patch cord between coach and toad.

Buy the matching pigtail for a brake controller, splice the pigtail lead to the dash LED- done! It's plug-and-play, and can be replaced with another brake controller pigtail when and if you want to tow a trailer.

So, while you're looking for the dash end of the orange and black "spare" wires, keep an eye peeled for the "blue" electric bake controller wire.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wiring for your plug is on page 7-6 of this owners guide.
You need a flashlight to look in the dark recesses of the dash to left of hole on top of dash.
If you haven't used the CB cable and wiring they maybe wrapped together.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Arkansas RV-

It's always a bit of hunt to find the wires under the dash for these coaches.

Many of us use the "blue" electric brake controller wire to feed a dash-mounted LED to tell us the toad brakes have activated. That's because you won't be towing a toad and trailer at the same time, and the "blue" wire should be run already from the back to a connector under the dash. The signal to the dash LED will use the corresponding "blue" wire in the existing umbilical between coach and toad, eliminating the need to use the Newmar orange or black "spare" wires and also the need to use the Roadmaster patch cord between coach and toad.

Buy the matching pigtail for a brake controller, splice the pigtail lead to the dash LED- done! It's plug-and-play, and can be replaced with another brake controller pigtail when and if you want to tow a trailer.

So, while you're looking for the dash end of the orange and black "spare" wires, keep an eye peeled for the "blue" electric bake controller wire.

I was hoping to find the complete “harness” for tow package under the dash but have yet to find it. Age, bifocals make it difficult. I will give it another shot today. Does anyone know if it’s a separate 7 wire harness coming into the front bulkhead or grouped into the mass of wires. I guess what I’m asking is where is the point of origination for this harness?
The blue, orange or black wires is fine to use just have to find them
Old 11-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

My 98 has just the black & red paired wires. they are on the left side of the steering column.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find only two wires up front, back to rear jack ,other wiring to fuses in a compartment in rear.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You will find only two wires up front, back to rear jack ,other wiring to fuses in a compartment in rear.

007, so where does the blue wire originate from for brake controller that was mentioned in previous post?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
From under the dash area to the 7 pin jack only a brake controller would be supplying the 12v back to 7 pin jack.

WIRING DIAGRAMS

Tags
dutch star, tow, towing