Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

'94 London Aire step switch

We just picked up a '94 London Aire that is in great shape. Other units I have owned had a switch to disable the steps from either going in or out. I am going buggy looking for a similar device now. Can

Can anyone tell me if my new unit has such a switch?

Thanks to all who can confirm my mental state!

Thanks
zenducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mine works with the normal "step switch". The switch is just a two position switch, but depending on whether the door is open when you flip the switch, determines if the step will stay in or out. I can't really tell you exactly how to make it work, because I can never really know when it will work the way I want it to. But, I have been able to make the step not extend when I open the door by flipping the switch. In fact I have had it re-tract and stay in that position at night so that the step was in.... dangerous... So I have told my wife to always look for the step at night before exiting the coach. I shudder to think of the result of a step out without the step being extended.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new rig. On our '93 LADP, it's the third button from left to right, right by the door (living room fluorescent lights, patio light/lit handle, and step, in that order). Hope it's the same on yours and I hope we can help each other with issues related to our rare coaches!

Oh and by the way, whenever the engine is running, no matter the position on the switch, the steps will be "on" automatically, so if you forget to activate the switch before moving, it wont be a problem. When we are parked we always leave ours off (steps out) and then when we move, it automatically comes on again, activating the steps with the door switch.
twe412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Looks like I have a problem then. I have the 3rd switch to the right, but it seems to not do anything. On my door there are 2 white magnetic contact switches but they sure seem to be add-ons. I think my rig may have been doctored! Ah well, off to the drawing board for adding some form of switch. Thanks for the quick answers, and happy rolling along.

So, is there a sub-Nemar group for the 8 of us that own LA's? I had never even heard of it until seeing an ad.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

If I'm not mistaken, the magnetic switch you're mentioning is for the security system. It should be right by a little white box, which is the sensor/transmitter for the alarm system. There should be another one on the driver's door. I still don't know if that same magnetic switch is used to control the steps, but I don't know, there might be another switch. You will find a few more things like that, that will make you think the motorhome has been messed with, but on mine, I've found that a lot of them came from the factory like that
And I haven't heard about the sub group you mentioned. I'll look into it
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The magnetic switch on screen door and door frame is for you steps.
Its there to put out the steps when you open screen door.
The two wires on switch can possibly pulled out from behind the door frame and you will find two wire nuts tied to two wires going down to the step control.
One of those switch's as twe412 describes must be step switch to lock out step when your parked.
There maybe a lead off your brake pedel switch that may not operate if the brake pedel arm does not fully retrack to rest position.
Any time you turn on ignition switch the steps will move in if they are locked out or not.
Here is a video for Kwikee steps. This and more can be found in Quick Tip's 1 & 2.
Welcome to the forum and irv2 zenducky. Congrats with your new coach and many safe happy miles.
We do not have a LADP group but if others get these old coach's who can tell.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Oh, I just went outside to double check. In our rig, the steps aren't controlled by the magnetic switch on the screen door (I tested by turning on the switch for the steps and then opening and closing the screen door, steps didn't move). When I closed the door, the steps immediately retracted. The switch might be a little button on the side of the door. I'll take some pictures to make it easier, and I'll test again. But your steps do work, right? Maybe there's a bad connection somewhere or something. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Than you have the magnetic switch in door and in the door frame, after all its a LADP.
It would still work the same I would think.
Be interesting to see what the one on screen is for, maybe double safety???
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Its a little strange, 007. There's a magnetic sensor on the door frame, and the transmitter on the screen door, but there's nothing on the main door. I've been looking all around the door and frame, and there's only 2 things that could be the step switch: there's something like a push button attached to the door, not the frame, and it gets "pushed" when the door closes, but then again, I don't see any wires going in or out the door; and there's something that I can't describe, it's just like a bump on the side of the door, a few inches below the dead bolt and latch, and there's another bump just like that one, but on the frame. They don't seem to be push buttons, but they don't look magnetic either. I'll test again tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

Couldn't wait till tomorrow. Got it. The bumps below the latch are the magnetic switch for the steps. Tested with a small magnet. And the ones about 2 ft above the dead bolt are for the security system
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like I said LPDP'S are special, interesting about switch for security lights when the door and screen is closed.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Thanks All, I learned in a short period to take nothing for granted. What looks like a jury rig on a LADP might just be that way on purpose. Either my door switch is boffed, or I will just need to ass a little toggle at the magnetic switch location. Either way, I need to stop that stairway from driving us crazy going in and out!

But so far, I love the coach!

Cheers, Zenducky