Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #1

99 Dutch Star front overhead cabinet is loose

The front cabinet on my 1999 3886 Dutch Star is hanging down about 1/2 inch on the left side ( over driver ). Has anyone removed one of these that can give me a heads up on what is involved in removing the overhead cabinet. Looks like the PO had way too much "stuff" in the left hand section and the shelf is broken, need to remove cabinet repair and reinstall. Thanks,
nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2. and the Newmar family.

Does your coach still have the original tube TV or has that been replaced ?

The wood frame around the TV is held in place , by screws that go in from each side cabinet ; 3 each side ; then the frame sides out , and with help the TV can be removed.
The 3 screws, from the drivers side cabinet , along with , many others into the ceiling panel must be removed to drop the cabinet.
I had to rebuilt my shelf , with the cabinet in place ( it wasn't loose from the ceiling) could be I had too much stuff, in there too.
NOTE: The shelf and the panel at the left end of the cabinet ; it's stapled in place; will probably have to be removed before all the screws, into the ceiling, can be accessed.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #3

Thanks Skip, your info is very helpful. the television has been replaced with a flat screen although the workmanship could be improved. Do you know if the cabinet has to come out in one piece, or can I remove the left and center while leaving the right side with all the electrical, in place.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
Thanks Skip, your info is very helpful. the television has been replaced with a flat screen although the workmanship could be improved. Do you know if the cabinet has to come out in one piece, or can I remove the left and center while leaving the right side with all the electrical, in place.
I didn't have to go that deep; complete removal ; to do the repair on my coach , but from what I can see the overhead is manufactured in 3 sections , so the left side should come down without the other sections being removed.

Somewhere there is an older post , with pictures , where the owner had widened and reduced the depth of the TV cabinet and the depth of left side cabinet; to help with head room when coming up the stairs ; something I have issues with after installing a 32" flat screen TV.
I'll see if I can track it down.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

This first post has pictures of the way newer cabinets are built .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/my-l...de-128500.html

For more info, check out the " Sticky " posts , the first 5 in the Newmar owners forums.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Here is a link to TSB's you have three pages of them you may want to look at.
You might be better off removing the heavy stuff and re-screw the mounting screws into the ceiling rafters which are metal and close the gap.
Behind that wood panel you may have the over head windshield fans motor for clearing fogging windshields.
The face cabinet screws will extend across a wood strip from right to left so strip in TV cabinet, passenger may need tightening also.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Thanks Skip, I think I have what I need now, You've been a big help, I know what you mean bout the head knocker, have the same issue with mine. I hope to cure that issue at the same time I fix the rest of it. Again, Thanks
Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks 007, will check out the TSB's. Just bought this rv this fall, won't be able to use till probably April or May, (Alaska winter). looking fwd to trip around lower 48 next summer. BTW how do these things perform in winter conditions with the Michelin RV tires, I am a little bit nervous bout driving it on ice and snow.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

I picked up my coach in late November in Montana. My first day of driving , was over the Monida Pass through 6" of snow , second day 2 hours of driving on icy roads in a white out , near Wells in northern Nevada.
35 MPH with the trans in 4 th. gear in the snow ( exhaust brake OFF to prevent rear tire lock up , on de-celeration).
25 MPH, on the ice , trans in 3rd. Exhaust brake off again.
Higher RPM in the lower gears , helps keep the engine temps up and the dash heater working .
Michelin tires, on the coach, never felt a control problem. As always the key to winter driving , keep the speed down , getting there is more important than arrival time.
Back and forth ; fall and spring ; from Canada to my winter snowbird site. I find snow somewhere. With the coach due for tires , I'm looking for traction tread for the rear, knowing the tires will rot before I wear the tread off.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, I drove a 40 ft. Blue Bide school bus years ago on black ice road conditions and it scared the begebies out of me, very slippery on the rear end, but it was a front engine and empty, Just didn't know what to expect with the diesel pusher. They are certainly heavier which should give them better traction, especially with a little siping on the tires. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was driving around Alaska in winter months I thought the snow was sticky and didn't slide that much it was so dry, worried more about having the ears fall off.
My gas coach's driving in N.E. held the road quit good on slippery roads of snow here and your coach is much heavier.
Here is a link that might give you a few pointers, for safe driving.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #12

Thanks 007, sounds like the diesel pushers aren't too out of the norm then for winter driving. Glad to hear that. I've been here almost 50 years so snow is no stranger to me, If they handle at least as good as a two wheel drive pickup then that is something I can handle. Putting some type of traction tire or maybe all season on the rear is an excellent idea. Might do that myself if I can find a tire that is somewhere between highway tread and tractor tire. LOL. Thanks again

Tags
dutch star