RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

99 Mountain Aire Fuel Filter Question

Had our new to us Coach serviced last week at Speedco, which I use all the time for my big Truck and don't usually have a problem with.
They told me I only have one Fuel Filter, right under the Battery Compartment, although I argued that the Cummins Book showed a Fuel Filter on the passenger side of the Block. They're answer: they moved it!
Well this weekend while camping in it for the first time I laid under my Coach and found said Fuel Filter and realized why they possibly missed it.
It's virtually invisible from the bottom! It's directly above the Starter surrounded by al sorts of Fuel and air lines and wires going to top and possibly bottom of Filter.
Can someone tell me if you have to pull the Starter to change this Filter, cause that would be the dumbest thing I've seen yet.

Help...please

Thanks, John

johnridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2002 Mountain Aire I change the fuel filter above the started from the top side.
Last year I did it with the hatch open from inside. Strap wrench and carefully lift striaght out the top.
This year I changed it from the back, same procedure just climb in and lay across AC Compressor.

Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

I have found its about as easy to do from the bedroom take it off hand it to somebody behind so as not drag it the coach
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
yes, djay good idea. I either bagged it before taking through the inside or placed it so I could grab from outside. Was working alone so handing off was not possible. Climbing in from back was actually easier than I expected this year.
Here is the view from the inside. Used some ties to hold hoses out of the way.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	157852
and a catch pan underneath some will spill when filter removed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	157851
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 2001 Mountain Aire and changed that filter a number of times. Always a tough one. I went from the top. All those cables were part of the problem.
Probably overkill but I always disconnected the Battery, figured if the filter came in contact with cable connections could be a problem.

There are posts here about having that filter relocated. The Cummins place nearest to me said they would relocate it for a pretty reasonable price.

Also I needed to replace the starter and the replacement was a newer gear reduction model that was shorter than the original one. Changing the filter became a little easier after that.
Mine didn't have a bedroom slide. Access was not too bad, but I removed the lift cylinders for the mattress platform so the deck could be lifter higher. The first time was hardest because the filter was really tight and it is a tough spot.
Check the Cummins Forum on this site for more info.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #6

Thank you all very much for the comeback on my question. I will let y'all know how we changed it
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

I just reached up from the bottom on my 99 MADP. It was not easy but that is what I did for a living for many years.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
I just reached up from the bottom on my 99 MADP. It was not easy but that is what I did for a living for many years.

Just wanted everybody to know that I got this Filter changed and my RV Dealer ( Perfection RV in Oklahoma City) only took and charged me 15 minutes labor. David and his Staff are super people, pleasure to do business with.

Tags
fuel