Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #1

We are on our second Newmar product and we love them. Our first was (actually still is since it is for sale) a 2000 Kountry Star. We bought a 2001 Dutch Star in July of this year. On the Dutch Star I was having a problem with the little round foam filters being sucked up into the return so that air could get by them unfiltered. They wouldn't stay flat on the air deflector that they mount on. I came up with a fix that may interest other Newmar owners. Please see my web site and click on A/C Filters at the lower left side. There is an explanation and pictures. Thanks for listening.

RetiredSKP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #2

We are on our second Newmar product and we love them. Our first was (actually still is since it is for sale) a 2000 Kountry Star. We bought a 2001 Dutch Star in July of this year. On the Dutch Star I was having a problem with the little round foam filters being sucked up into the return so that air could get by them unfiltered. They wouldn't stay flat on the air deflector that they mount on. I came up with a fix that may interest other Newmar owners. Please see my web site and click on A/C Filters at the lower left side. There is an explanation and pictures. Thanks for listening.

RetiredSKP
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is an explanation and pictures. Thanks for listening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RetiredSKP: THANK YOU for such an informative post. I went to your site and saw the detailed explanation and great pictures.

Your solution to this Newmar-only issue is downright BRILLIANT ! I'm going out to get some of that type metal mesh and make a set or two for myself. I expect the additional time required to remove the metal screen when cleaning the foam will be more than offset by the improved filtration.

Thanks for your post! I see you've been on irv2.com for almost two years, so I can't really say "WELCOME" even though your post count makes you look like a new member. I can, however, offer you some Newmar Owner KARMA if you want it!!

Thanks again for such a quality post and solution to a problem. That is what we strive for here on iRV2.com and we really appreciate your addition to our site. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #4

Newmar still has not gotten the news. Mine do the same thing, but not for long. Thanks for the tip.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #5

I have had my 2004 DSDP for 2 1/2 years and have not had any problem with the filter pads.
Does your problem only happen when the pads are dirty. Maybe I don't have as strong an air flow.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #6

Edgray

Thanks for the kind words. As you may have noticed from my web site, I made several modifications and improvements to my Kountry Star fifth wheel over the years. I love to find out how things work and try to make them better.

Fulltimer

Your welcome. Glad I could help.

Tmitchell

I never had this problem on my Kountry Star fifth wheel with the same setup. I have been assuming that it was because the KS had the 13,500 A/C and the DS has the 15,000 version. I am not sure this is true. I looked at the stickers in the kitchen of each and it does not give that information. It did happen more when the pads were dirty but happened almost immediately after cleaning and reinstalling. Maybe it is the integrity of the ducts. My KS may have had some leaks in other areas, preventing the building up of enough vacuum pressure to pull the filters up. I am not sure. I didn't do much to analyze the actual cause.

RetiredSKP
Old 09-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome RetiredSKP to irv2.
SUPER job on your fix for A/C intakes, I will have to check mine now never had the problem but you did come up with a good fix.
For that you should be made a member of the Newmar forum, are you interested.
Your other projects were of interest also can't wait to see what you will come up with on your new MH, safe miles and thanks for joining in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote