Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
A/C issues

I have a Dometic A/C that the fan doesnít seem to want to work on. When turned on I get the hour glass timer to show. I hear the compressor start up but no fan. Then after about 30 seconds it starts the process over. It wonít work just on the fan setting either. Is there a separate fuse somewhere for the fan or is it possibly seized up? Zones 2&3 work fine. Only problem is zone 1. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any help you can give me.
RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
D20

Has it been sitting for a while without being run? I would open up the A/C on the roof and inspect the fan. Could be a broken squirrel cage, fan motor shaft seized, bad motor windings. If the fan spins freely, then try it again. If it runs then could be a bad spot on the armature or could have gotten stiff from sitting for awhile.

If you can't get it going, you could start electrically testing components. This manual may give you some ideas: https://documents.dometic.com/media/...0?templateId=0
Old 06-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysDad View Post
It won’t work just on the fan setting either. Is there a separate fuse somewhere for the fan or is it possibly seized up?
With the thermostat set for fan only, does the fan motor make any sound? Might have to get close, or up on the roof, to tell.

Might have to set the temperature much higher than the interior temperature is and pick a fan speed to make it run without the compressor, though. At least, that's what I would have to do with mine.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you changed the AC unit and have the switch's on its control board set correctly.
In the big sticky there is a AC Section of different problems and info on roof top AC's, should take a look.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
No it hasnít been changed. Fan doesnít come on. Iíll take the cover off and check it when I can. Raining right now. Iíll check out the sticky and see if anything looks helpful in there.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #6

Is your ceiling grille removable?

You can access fan room air squirrel cage and rotate in manually then turn FAN on

**120VAC to A/C Unit is for both Fan & Compressor

So if squirrel cage moves freely then FAN Start Capacitor is probably bad
**Roof top access under shroud/inside a side cover panel
NO AC Power and caution: capacitor can 'bite' ---note wiring placement
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
No access from inside. Have to wait fir better weather.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

You can access fan room air squirrel cage and rotate in manually then turn FAN on

I may be getting back to you for more info on testing. I have a multi meter but have never used it. This part of the electrical system is all new to me but I need to learn some things.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:18 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would second what Old Biscuit said.
Especially if you can hear a humming sound coming from the fan trying to start.
HR Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fan start capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

I have the cover off. The fan rotates very easily. Should I test the capacitor or just replace it? And where can I get it? Napa or a/c supply store? Thanks
Old 06-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
I have the cover off. The fan rotates very easily. Should I test the capacitor or just replace it? And where can I get it? Napa or a/c supply store? Thanks
The fan motor is probably a permanent split-capacitor type, which means it will try to run even with the capacitor being non-functional or removed.

You should listen carefully with the A/C unit set to run the fan only, or pick a fan speed but turn the temperature up high enough that the compressor doesn't run, and listen for the fan trying to run. You can do that from inside most likely.

Of course, it would be easier to tell what it will do with a wiring diagram, which I don't have, but that's how most of them work AFAIK. Similar to larger split systems like at your S&B.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have a Dometic A/C that the fan doesnít seem to want to work on. When turned on I get the hour glass timer to show. I hear the compressor start up but no fan. Then after about 30 seconds it starts the process over. It wonít work just on the fan setting either. Is there a separate fuse somewhere for the fan or is it possibly seized up? Zones 2&3 work fine. Only problem is zone 1. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any help you can give me.
It would be helpful to have the model number of the unit. Test procedures and diagnosis vary greatly between models.

Be fore you start throwing parts at it you need to do more testing. In this situation you will need a helper.

Yes, first test the capacitor. Hopefully it should have the rating printed on the outside along with a part number.

Since you say you know the compressor starts but the fan does not. Unplug the line in side of the capacitor and check for AC voltage in. If you have ac voltage in pug it back in and check for AC voltage out. You can also run the fan bypassing the capacitor. Not a recommended procedure but I have bypassed them for a few to 15 seconds just to see if the fan will turn. Just make sure you have every bit of power draw off, all ac's off, and turn on only the fan, not the AC. If you have to trip the breakers off for the working ac's so they don't try and start their fans.

If it still doesn't start, I have made a small jumper cord that plugs into the two lines in to the fan. Your just plugging an extension cord with two terminals into the fan. PLUG THE TERMINALS INTO THE FAN BEFORE PLUGGING THE EXTENSION CORD INTO 120 volts If the fan starts you know your fan is good.

The next test is the line out from the circuit board to the fan capacitor. If you get 120 there when you turn the fan on, you can be pretty much assured that your capacitor has gone bad.

If not, it could be the circuit board. Testing them is beyond me. If I think that's the problem I take the board to somebody to have it tested.

AND REMEMBER, WHEN WORKING ON CAPACITORS THEY STORE VOLTAGE. Drain off the voltage with a VOM or even a screwdriver from the body to the terminals. Do each terminal. If you have ever been zapped by a capacitor you will know why.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
The fan motor is probably a permanent split-capacitor type, which means it will try to run even with the capacitor being non-functional or removed.

You should listen carefully with the A/C unit set to run the fan only, or pick a fan speed but turn the temperature up high enough that the compressor doesn't run, and listen for the fan trying to run. You can do that from inside most likely.

Of course, it would be easier to tell what it will do with a wiring diagram, which I don't have, but that's how most of them work AFAIK. Similar to larger split systems like at your S&B.
I did that the other day. The fan didnít try to run as far as I could tell. Couldnít hear anything.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I did that the other day. The fan didnít try to run as far as I could tell. Couldnít hear anything.
I can take a pic of the wiring diagram but not sure how to post it on here.