Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi500 View Post
on my way to Lowes. Thanks for the great tip.
My pleasure!

I think it's this stuff but really can't tell from the picture.

Shop Frost King 15-in x 24-in x 0.25-in Polyurethane Foam Air Conditioner Filter at Lowes.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a little more that you may want to check out also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #17

X2 on the 007 advice. We seemed to have to clean our filters too often to keep the A/C from freezing up due to lack of air flow. Pulled shroud off, and removed cover and was very surprised at how dirty the coils were. Did a Simple Green clean and wash, added some Reflectix insulation to air box on roof unit, and could really tell the difference. Not the easiest job, but paid real dividends.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
Newmar parts folks suggested that I twist the vent slightly while pulling down. Seems to help. Haven't broken one while doing that.
2x
Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #19

Also, If the filters are dirty, it cuts down on air flow and output from the A/C / HP system. On a real hot day, that can make a difference.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Was at Newmar the other day and they have the filters in their small display area for $1:00 each. The whole plastic vent itself was only $2.00 so I bought a couple spares in case I break one while trying to get the filters out. Spent $8.00 for eight filters and $4.00 for two spare vents. Couldn't get over how cheap they were.
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #21

AC Return Air Filters

I had an appliance tech working on my washing machine today and while he was in our coach asked about the AC filters. He said the black filters Newmar uses will break down over time and small black particles will get sucked up into the coils. He recommended that we use regular pleated AC/Furnace filters and put them in the rectangular box (12 x 5 x 2.25 deep) that is covered by the black material. Has anyone ever replaced the "stock" filters with another product (like 3M Filtrete, Aqua-Flo, Vega AC, etc.)?
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
Newmar parts folks suggested that I twist the vent slightly while pulling down. Seems to help. Haven't broken one while doing that.
This is exactly how I do it and in 9 years on two Newmars I haven't managed to break or crack one of them yet....knock on wood...now I'll break the next one I take out!

But I have to say that the design of these things is pretty poor and un-user friendly. Maybe I have bigger fingers, but getting a grip on that darned thing has me spreading the vent slats bending them around my fingers. And those little thin filters take almost no time at all to get dirty. Net, one of my very least favorite things is going around the RV every 2nd or 3rd day popping those things off and cleaning a bunch of little filters. I know my basement central air in my two Winnebago Journey's weren't trouble free for everyone that had them (they were for me) but I just loved easily plunking a standard home furnace filter on that air duct once in a while vs this process.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
I had an appliance tech working on my washing machine today and while he was in our coach asked about the AC filters. He said the black filters Newmar uses will break down over time and small black particles will get sucked up into the coils. He recommended that we use regular pleated AC/Furnace filters and put them in the rectangular box (12 x 5 x 2.25 deep) that is covered by the black material. Has anyone ever replaced the "stock" filters with another product (like 3M Filtrete, Aqua-Flo, Vega AC, etc.)?
Wow! This is a 4-yr-old post but I guess things like this don't change! The filters held up very well for us in using our motorhome for 8 full-timing years, traveling constantly and changing them often. We bought an extra set so that we could replace them right away as soon as we removed the dirty one. We always cleaned all of them while we were at it. Doesn't take long. When all were removed and replaced we then washed them and let them dry good before packing away in a baggie for the next time. They didn't break down.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #24

Higher quality filters are available from the company linked below. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

https://rvair.com
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Higher quality filters are available from the company linked below. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

https://rvair.com

Great find. A better filter is important with recirculated air. One more project while we are stuck at home a couple more weeks.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #26

Not to mess with you guys - but if you are into really "Filtering" your air some thing like this would work fine

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA...et_feature_div

I know it's an Aquarium Water Filter medium but it work work fine for your A/C's air filters.

Just one Cheaper way to do the same thing - if you really feal the Need.

JOMO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #27

Each time I clean the bedroom and living area ceiling AC vents I always wonder why Newmar ever designed the outlet/return vents right next to each other in the ceiling. Seems a little counter productive in order to get the cool air all over the coach then return. My last coach, Itasca Meridian, had outlets in the ceiling and the return on the floor level and worked very well. Maybe this is some of the reason RVers question getting 3 roof airs for the 40 footers in order to cool appropreately on hot summer days.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Each time I clean the bedroom and living area ceiling AC vents I always wonder why Newmar ever designed the outlet/return vents right next to each other in the ceiling. Seems a little counter productive in order to get the cool air all over the coach then return. My last coach, Itasca Meridian, had outlets in the ceiling and the return on the floor level and worked very well. Maybe this is some of the reason RVers question getting 3 roof airs for the 40 footers in order to cool appropriately on hot summer days.
In your Itasca Meridian - I'm pretty sure it had a Basement System - so the air circulates from the "Basement". - Where the Newmar has a "Roof" System and the air is only circulating in the roof. -

Two different Systems that just are very Different, one of the main reasons for putting it on the roof is to Give You mre Basement Storage Area.

Interestingly enough - I suspect that soon they will both be replaced by The Inverter A/C system that allows a much more efficient and Quiet Heating and A/C System, and distributes air from just about anywhere you want.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace