Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 10:43 AM   #1

A different slideout problem

For the second time, the 3/4" keyed shaft that goes through the cog wheel has shredded. This is the bedroom vanity slide that has one motor and one cog above the tag wheel on the passenger side. The motor and 1" shaft are OK so I have just ordered a new 3/4" x 9" shaft from Newmar. Newmar replaced this the first time under warranty, but I am on my own in this one. Even Newmar Mobile Tech. will not work on this at the RV resort I am at near Fort Myers. So, has anyone tackled this before and can offer advice? I do not think I need to remove the 1" shaft from the motor, so no need to undo the trantorque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	381948  
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just guessing from having looked at mine in the past. Remove the motor with the trans torque attached. If I recall, there is a set screw on the cog gear that you will need to loosen. I would also remove the two bolts that hold that centering bushing and let it come out and make sure it works freely.

Since this is the second time, I would suspect that the motor/shaft are not in alignment with the cog gear. During installation, I would leave that centering bushing a little loose and run the slide in and out and then tighten the bolts on the bushing in the spot where they settled.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

From what I'm seeing in your photo, there is a serious shaft alignment problem and the motor flexing the shaft under torque maybe the underlying issue .

EDIT: I see Don has posted, and mentioned shaft alignment while I was typing, sorry for the duplication.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

Soft and Hard Shafts

Newmar sells two kinds of the 9 Inch shaft, Make sure you use the hardened one

1 is a “018516” *Hardened Shaft
1 is a ”95542” *Standard Shaft
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wschep View Post
Newmar sells two kinds of the 9 Inch shaft, Make sure you use the hardened one

1 is a 018516 *Hardened Shaft
1 is a 95542 *Standard Shaft
Newmar had already shipped the standard shaft before I saw your post. They are not that expensive so I will order the hardened one as well. Don't know why the parts dept. didn't mention this.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:08 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
For the second time, the 3/4" keyed shaft that goes through the cog wheel has shredded. This is the bedroom vanity slide that has one motor and one cog above the tag wheel on the passenger side. The motor and 1" shaft are OK so I have just ordered a new 3/4" x 9" shaft from Newmar. Newmar replaced this the first time under warranty, but I am on my own in this one. Even Newmar Mobile Tech. will not work on this at the RV resort I am at near Fort Myers. So, has anyone tackled this before and can offer advice? I do not think I need to remove the 1" shaft from the motor, so no need to undo the trantorque.
Is this the floor layout of your coach? If yes, am I correct in assuming that the slide with the problem is C?

Name:	Ventana 4311 floor layout.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	381989

From an engineering point of view, I find it interesting that your coach has only one cog wheel. I would think it would be difficult to move the slide in a straight line without twisting it, when only one cog wheel is used. My bedroom slide also has one motor, but has 2 cog wheels, although my coach is a 2019 4369.

Name:	cogwheel tracks.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	381993

Normally, a single motor and cogwheel assembly consists of one motor and two cogwheels, as shown in the diagram below.

Name:	cog wheel assembly.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	381992

I don't know if it will help you or not, but here is a pdf file I created when I removed a slideout motor similar to yours. You might be able to use pieces of it.

Front Electric Motor Replacement on FWS with round shaft.pdf

I have never seen such a catastrophic failure. Did Newmar give you a cause when they repaired it the first time?
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:09 AM   #7

You are correct that it is slideout C on the floorpan. The single cog wheel is in the center of the slide. It does not twist going in and out, but there is not much weight on this slideout, just a few drawers and the TV.
Newmar blamed the problem on a poor-quality batch of steel. But it seems the replacement wasn't much better. Seems to me a bad design reducing to 3/4" instead of using a 1' cog in the first place.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #8

Looks like the motor / gear assy got pushed out of alignment likely due to the shaft shredding. So, that has to be removed for the mounting plate to be bent back parallel with the cog wheel mounting plate. Of course, if this was misaligned after the first warranty repair, then it would have caused the shredding.

How long ago did they repair it under warranty? In reality this shouldn't have happened. But in the greater reality, I guess they are walking away from responsibility. At a minimum I would think they would provide the parts for the second repair. Saves having to take a long trip for Newmar to also provide the labor.

What is the "shaft" above the shredded coupling? Hard to tell from the pic but it too doesn't look like it is centered in its bearing / housing. Might even just be a wiring harness...hard to tell what it is.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #9

The first repair was at 3 1/2 years and technically out of warranty. But they fixed it for free at the same time that they replaced all my furniture due to the infamous fabric issue.
So that repair lasted exactly 4 years. Seems to be a theme here!
I think it is the shredded rod that has pulled the motor down, but I will check when I get it apart. Below is a picture of the first break.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	495.5 KB
ID:	382028  
Old 12-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Just look at the position of the motor and where it connects to where it shredded. The motor holding plate is bent down, not perpendicular to the shaft position. That mounting plate is bent or twisted and needs to be aligned straight for the shaft to not bend down when not connected.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Looks like the motor / gear assy got pushed out of alignment likely due to the shaft shredding. So, that has to be removed for the mounting plate to be bent back parallel with the cog wheel mounting plate. Of course, if this was misaligned after the first warranty repair, then it would have caused the shredding.
Exactly, just saw this in your post
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #12

Thanks for all the good advice. I cut away the shredded part close to the cog and the motor is now level. The mounting plate was not damaged and is vertical. The problem I now have is removing the pieces from the adapter and the cog. The shredding has caused the 3/4 shaft to expand and seize up. Also, a lot of rust is causing issues. May end up drilling it out. No wonder Mobile Serv. didn't want to do the job. I got the slide extended using a crowbar inserted in the rack holes levered against the cog. Worked surprisingly easily. Also, when fully extended there is no load on the cog, so I do not have to use a jack to lift the slide.
I will be here for 3 months, so plenty of time to work on it, unless I get distracted playing Pickleball every day.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #13

The repair is complete and the slide is working fine. I did undo the trantorque as I had to take the shaft to a machine shop to have the broken pieces drilled out. I used the hardened 3/4" shaft and will see if this outlives the standard one. I also took the opportunity to replace the motor bolts with ones I could safety wire. Total cost was about $130.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	382488  
Old 12-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #14

I see twisted safety wire on your bolt heads. Must be from an aviation background?
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, slide, slideout, slideout problem