Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

A few questions (ordering in October)

I'm looking at the spreadsheet that we're building for our DS4369 order in October. Still have a few questions and, as you know, will probably have several more.

Can anyone answer these! Thanks in advance!
  1. Are condensation drains for the rooftop air conditioners standard?
  2. Is the Navigation system offered for 2016 a "trucker" or "RV" navigation system?
  3. What are the best options for mattresses?
  4. What's a good surge protector? Do I buy it and ask Newmar to install after factory delivery? Or is there an option to install one?
  5. What does a Total Vision rear camera do that's better than the standard camera? How much is the upgrade?
  6. Is there room to install 8 AGM batteries? What's the upcharge?
  7. I've heard that an upgraded water pump (to 5.3GPM) is an option. Anyone know how much this cost?
  8. Will they install elongated toilets? (Or are they standard?)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

The best suggestion I can recommend is to contact a Newmar dealer like Tom Lindstrom RV. Newmar has a list of all the changes for 2016 that you can compare to the 2015. Tom can be reached at 888-850-2076. He knows the Newmar line up better then any other dealer we have contacted.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #3

Great questions, I hope you post the results.
NWLanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The people in this link will help you in your build, good luck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
I'm looking at the spreadsheet that we're building for our DS4369 order in October. Still have a few questions and, as you know, will probably have several more.

Can anyone answer these! Thanks in advance!
  1. Are condensation drains for the rooftop air conditioners standard?
  2. Is the Navigation system offered for 2016 a "trucker" or "RV" navigation system?
  3. What are the best options for mattresses?
  4. What's a good surge protector? Do I buy it and ask Newmar to install after factory delivery? Or is there an option to install one?
  5. What does a Total Vision rear camera do that's better than the standard camera? How much is the upgrade?
  6. Is there room to install 8 AGM batteries? What's the upcharge?
  7. I've heard that an upgraded water pump (to 5.3GPM) is an option. Anyone know how much this cost?
  8. Will they install elongated toilets? (Or are they standard?)
Mike, Great questions! Based on picking up our new DSDS4369 (2015) last week, we have these opinions, as follows. Hope this helps...
1. The rooftop A/C drains were standard. I believe they run down the inside of the rear cap (not certain). But there's no condensation running down the exterior of ours.
2. I cannot address what's being used in the 2016 DSDP. However, a Clarion unit is fitted in the 2015 as the factory option. DW and I commented on our return trip home today, that it's a fairly good unit. Not specific to RV or Truckers, but generic. I like having a map on the dash. She's the real navigator with a plethora of i-gadgets. We set a route on the Clarion for home today, and it did exceptionally well. Fairly user friendly - never opened the manual. They include a DVD with the unit - haven't had time for it yet. Overall, not a bad option, especially as it's integrated into the dash and ceiling speakers.
3. Mattresses are really a personal preference (of course). We had the Sleep Number in our previous Winnebago, and didn't really care for it. We have a TempurPedic at home, and love it. Our plan was to swap it for the standard Newmar (queen) size mattress. After 7 nights on the standard issue one, we're reconsidering, and will leave it in place for a while longer. It's comfortable for us. And the Queen size bed was definitely the right decision - for us. More walk around space, larger cabinets and countertops.
4. We transfered our Surge Guard from the Winnebago to the DSDP last week. Actually, our Newmar tech gutted our electrical bay, and installed our Hughes auto-former and the Surge Guard, moved the ATS and the power cord real. A very clean custom install. The Surge Guard was about $325 and can be installed inside the bay ("hard wired") or simply plugged into the end of your power cord and then into the campground pedestal. The Surge Guard has twice failed to connect us to shore power (as it should), both times due to power faults in the pedestal - open neutrals. We like it.
5. Can't comment on the camera. I believe another forum member posted that he was denied the upgrade at Newmar. Can't hurt to ask again!
6. If your DSDP is all electric, it can be fitted with 8 six volt AGMs (at least that was true for 2014 - 2015). Without a propane tank, the battery compartment is very large, with a sturdy slide out with the 8 AGMs. The cost was $1500, pre-discount.
7. Cannot comment on the cost of an upgraded water pump. The standard unit in ours appears to be plenty adequate.
8. Standard toilets are both macerators and not elongated. Here's one place where technology doesn't belong.
Comments are all IMHO! Best advice - ask your dealer and keep reading these great forums!!! Good luck with the order, and please do post your findings.
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #6

Zalaska, thanks for the details and congrats on your new coach!

I'd like to know a bit more about your surge protector. What brand is it? What's a auto-former? Do you just hand the parts to the factory tech while at Camp Newmar and ask them to install it?