Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A little Dometic toilet help.....

Unpleasant subject, but it is what it is.....

Our new Ventana has the Dometic macerator toilets, and I do NOT believe they are working as they should. When flushed, they empty about 2/3 of the bowl and always leave some behind, liquid or solid. To get it completely empty takes about 4 flushes. This is working the same on both toilets, and has since day one when they were brand new.

We just picked the coach up from it's first trip back to the dealer (National Indoor RV Center in Lewisville, TX) for warranty work on the punch list. The service managers comment was "Yeah, thats the way they work, nothing we can do about it." This is on top of other warranty work that was either not done, or completely blown off.....I am not a happy camper. Nothing major, but when I point something out that is broken, I expect it to be fixed in a timely manner.

I just want to hear from other folks as to their experiences. I don't believe this is something that I just "have to live with". The folks at Newmar don't feel like this is normal either, but won't really comment until they can see it in person. We are planning a factory trip in the Spring.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

Our new Ventana has the Dometic macerator toilets, and I do NOT believe they are working as they should. When flushed, they empty about 2/3 of the bowl and always leave some behind, liquid or solid. To get it completely empty takes about 4 flushes. This is working the same on both toilets, and has since day one when they were brand new.

We just picked the coach up from it's first trip back to the dealer (National Indoor RV Center in Lewisville, TX) for warranty work on the punch list. The service managers comment was "Yeah, thats the way they work, nothing we can do about it." This is on top of other warranty work that was either not done, or completely blown off.....I am not a happy camper. Nothing major, but when I point something out that is broken, I expect it to be fixed in a timely manner.

I just want to hear from other folks as to their experiences. I don't believe this is something that I just "have to live with". The folks at Newmar don't feel like this is normal either, but won't really comment until they can see it in person. We are planning a factory trip in the Spring.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!
We have the Thetford Tecma in our rear bath and do not have any problems like you have. I know it is different brand than yours but if you can't get fixed to your satisfaction I would look to NewMar to replace with Tecma

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Technology is wonderful. What about taking a short video and sending it to Newmar? You may be able to get this resolved before spring.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club

Lee L - A friend of mine on IRV2 (Deek) had the same problem with his DSDP. He took it to the factory, found that the macerator has an impeller underneath the toilet that gets clogged very easily. They did something, I just can't remember what it was to resolve it. You may want to send a PM to Deek, I'm sure that he'd be more then happy to tell you what they did.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

electric toilet

We have one in our rear bath in a 2014 Ventana and have had no trouble at all with it. I would give Newmar customer service a call and have them give you some idea of what is going on and have them hook you up with a real repair shop.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I new I kept this for a reason, can be found in QT's # 3,----- to much fiber was Deeks problem.
Not Deek it was his toilet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

We have the Dometic 8819 master flush with three buttons one is small flush next is bigger flush and a empty bowl only. Has always worked very good. Maybe call Dometic at 1-800-321-9886, they can probably help better that Newmar.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies! It appears that the service manager is full of ummm....."unflushed matter"

I was thinking of calling Deek to seek his professional opinion, but figured I couldn't afford his fees

The video is an interesting idea, not sure I would want to watch it though!

I'll probably pull the impellers and see what they look like, although, since it has done this since day one.....I suspect something along the lines of a hose obstruction.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

Hi to all. I have been lurking on this forum since spring and it was very helpful as I ordered a Dutchstar 3736. We went to the factory a number times and got it built like we wanted. Also we went and watched it get built which was a treat. I enjoyed all the post and suggestions I read on the forum. Thanks to all!

One of the reasons I decided to write and join today is I have been having the same problems with my dometic toilet. We have had this problem since we picked up our coach. We were at Newmar for some warranty repairs the 4th of December and they were supposed fix the toilet. They told us how to set it to use more water which they did, so all was good except when we got home we had the same problem, a dirty toilet. I called customer service and was on a conference call with dometic and after much discussion they admitted that they were having some problems with some of these toilets. However they have not come up with a solution yet but are planning on having one early this coming year. The man in charge of warranty who could give us more concrete information is on vacation through new years and is supposed contact me the first part of January. If I hear anything I will post what I have found out.
Thanks again for all the great info on this site. Merry CHRISTmas to all.
Lundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing what you have learned.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Thanks for the info also and congratulations on your Newmar many safe travels for you.
Check out the three links in my signature below.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #12

Welcome to the group lundman
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundman View Post
Hi to all. I have been lurking on this forum since spring and it was very helpful as I ordered a Dutchstar 3736. We went to the factory a number times and got it built like we wanted. Also we went and watched it get built which was a treat. I enjoyed all the post and suggestions I read on the forum. Thanks to all!

One of the reasons I decided to write and join today is I have been having the same problems with my dometic toilet. We have had this problem since we picked up our coach. We were at Newmar for some warranty repairs the 4th of December and they were supposed fix the toilet. They told us how to set it to use more water which they did, so all was good except when we got home we had the same problem, a dirty toilet. I called customer service and was on a conference call with dometic and after much discussion they admitted that they were having some problems with some of these toilets. However they have not come up with a solution yet but are planning on having one early this coming year. The man in charge of warranty who could give us more concrete information is on vacation through new years and is supposed contact me the first part of January. If I hear anything I will post what I have found out.
Thanks again for all the great info on this site. Merry CHRISTmas to all.
We had the same problems when we took delivery of our coach at the factory in October, The Techma in our previous coach worked great and we're not sure of the reason for the switch to Dometic. We had no chance to "test" their fix, as we hit the road as soon as the coach came out of the shop. I think the bottom line is that there is a problem with some of these toilets and hopefully Newmar and Dometic can come up with a solution. Our coach is put away for the Winter but we'll be all over this problem as we approach Spring.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Landman, thanks so much for the info, please do let us know what you find out when you get the phone call!

Tags
dometic