Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

A Little Help on a Charge Line for the Towed on a Bay Star

When we first bought our Bay Star, I ran a charge line from the front of the coach to the rear to be used to charge the battery in the Towed. I have never hooked it up. I believe I used #10 copper strand for the run. My plan was to get enough amperage to the back to be useful. I have the battery charger from RVI installed on the Jeep. The easy method would be hook the wire thru a 20 amp self resetting fuse up front and directly off the chassis battery. I'm not crazy about that idea. If we pull in for the night someplace and don't disconnect, I could wake up in the morning with a dead chassis battery.

So what I wondering, is if you guys know of a relay that I could hook the line from the battery on one side, the line going back to the 7-way (through a 20 resetting breaker) on the other, and then close the connection by applying +12v power from a switched source. The switched source would only draw enough the close the circuit. When you turn the key off, the relay opens. Hhas anybody done anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any help.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
When we first bought our Bay Star, I ran a charge line from the front of the coach to the rear to be used to charge the battery in the Towed. I have never hooked it up. I believe I used #10 copper strand for the run. My plan was to get enough amperage to the back to be useful. I have the battery charger from RVI installed on the Jeep. The easy method would be hook the wire thru a 20 amp self resetting fuse up front and directly off the chassis battery. I'm not crazy about that idea. If we pull in for the night someplace and don't disconnect, I could wake up in the morning with a dead chassis battery.

So what I wondering, is if you guys know of a relay that I could hook the line from the battery on one side, the line going back to the 7-way (through a 20 resetting breaker) on the other, and then close the connection by applying +12v power from a switched source. The switched source would only draw enough the close the circuit. When you turn the key off, the relay opens. Hhas anybody done anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Any 4 pin, Single pole single throw (SPST), 30 amp automotive relay should work, such as a Bosch relay.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The charge line on my Bay Star isn’t energized unless the ignition is on. Would it be easier to move the charge line to a different source?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

I think you are overthinking the whole thing. Like Knightstown said, just use the change wire that Newmar provided for the purpose and you’ll be fine. It’s only hot with the ignition on, which I think is what you are after with your question about adding a relay. But note that Newmar probably did not connect it to the 7 pin plug at the factory. At least that’s how it is on my Bay Star Sport. If yours is the same look in the wire loom at the 7 pin. You’ll find an orange and a black wire folded back and taped inside the loom. The other ends of both wires are taped to the steering column. Pick one, connect it to pin 4 on the seven pin, crimp a female spade connector on the end at the front and then just plug it in to the fuse panel at the driver’s left foot. Most forward terminal at the bottom is just waiting for you.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
I think you are overthinking the whole thing. Like Knightstown said, just use the change wire that Newmar provided for the purpose and you’ll be fine. It’s only hot with the ignition on, which I think is what you are after with your question about adding a relay. But note that Newmar probably did not connect it to the 7 pin plug at the factory. At least that’s how it is on my Bay Star Sport. If yours is the same look in the wire loom at the 7 pin. You’ll find an orange and a black wire folded back and taped inside the loom. The other ends of both wires are taped to the steering column. Pick one, connect it to pin 4 on the seven pin, crimp a female spade connector on the end at the front and then just plug it in to the fuse panel at the driver’s left foot. Most forward terminal at the bottom is just waiting for you.
X2
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
At first I installed a fused line from the MH to the toad. After doing so, I was concerned that if there was a problem with the MH charge system it would drain the toad battery and I would be stuck on the side of the road with 2 dead vehicles. Purchased a "Toad Battery Charger" from RVI and have not had any problems keeping the toad battery fully charged.

https://rvibrake.com/collections/fla...xoCiU0QAvD_BwE
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
At first I installed a fused line from the MH to the toad. After doing so, I was concerned that if there was a problem with the MH charge system it would drain the toad battery and I would be stuck on the side of the road with 2 dead vehicles. Purchased a "Toad Battery Charger" from RVI and have not had any problems keeping the toad battery fully charged.

https://rvibrake.com/collections/fla...xoCiU0QAvD_BwE
I will have to wait until I get the coach out of storage next week. I don’t remember seeing any wires taped in the loom at the plug on our 2014. Maybe I didn’t look close enough. If it’s there and of sufficient size to carry the load, that will be a simple fix.

I already have the battery charger from RVI Installed in the Jeep. The power to the 7-way is the last piece.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
I will have to wait until I get the coach out of storage next week. I don’t remember seeing any wires taped in the loom at the plug on our 2014. Maybe I didn’t look close enough. If it’s there and of sufficient size to carry the load, that will be a simple fix.

I already have the battery charger from RVI Installed in the Jeep. The power to the 7-way is the last piece.
I use the same RVI charger on my towed Wrangler with no problem. The orange and black wires on mine were inside the corrugated black wire loom. Open it up 6 to 10 inches back from the plug. Good luck
Old 08-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

If I remember correctly, I just ran a new wire from the battery to plug.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
If I remember correctly, I just ran a new wire from the battery to plug.
I can almost guarantee that the wire I ran, is larger than what Newmar used in the wire loom to the 7-Way. I would like it to be a switched power source. I will check that out when I get the coach home.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
PetesMH....Can you tell me if when you connected the wire to the fuse panel, what size fuse did you add? And how did you connect the wire to the back of the 7pin plug? I couldn't see how to pull it apart.

Thanks!
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed