Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

A New Slideout Loose Bolt Thread

Different experience, so far, than others! 2019 37 Ventana LE 3709 Spring of 2019 build, owned and enjoying here. Have had a few problems, none major, so with all the info being posted on loose slide out motor mounts, decided best I check mine. So far, checked the bed slide and the passenger side kitchen slide. So far everything checks out tight. Will do remaining when the temperature outdoors comes up today. BTW, all fastners are 5/16" so far.

But, at this point, I have a few questions for the experienced/experts. 1) Are the loose units associated with specific models and years of manufacturing? 2)Is from the basement the best/easiest access, rather than some top access? 3) What is the recommended action if all checks out tight and in order, leave it as found or preventive maintenance replacement? I tend to be a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type, but........ 4) Anyone have an idea of all the units checked by their owners, what percentage are being found loose? Even a SWAG on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, I found on MY coaches, that once I tightened any that were loose, I never had the issue again.....just my experience. There have been other components
that needed tightening, or specifically could have used washers, like the bed slide frame and I added washers to the awning mounts.
A few years ago, at a Newmar rally, I checked and tighten bolts on several coaches. There was no rhyme or reason as to which model had issues. There were both NewAire, Dutch Stars and Ventanas there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #3

On my '13 Mountain Aire, the back slides' bolts stay tight and both of those have motors that are on the ends and are mounted with bolts going through "feet" on the motor...so no torque direction that can loosen bolts. Both of my front slides have the motors in the middle inline with the shaft and I have to keep an eye on those. I even put on the orange permatex and nordlocks and they still loosen somewhat. Fortunately, the front ones are relatively easy to get to, so it's not a bad chore to keep up with them.

Had a Baystar for 8 years and never had to do anything with slide motor bolts.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #4

Once torqued to the Newmar spec with loctite on the threads I marked the bolt head and mount with a grease pen to give me a quick visual check for a bolt loosening. I also check for any gap between the motor and the mount as some owners have reported the bolt stripping out of the mount.
My big slides havenít had any loose bolts, but the bedroom slide bolts were slightly loose last I checked (of course the most difficult to check). I need to reapply loctite to the bedroom bolts as itís a difficult reach and I didnít do a good job the first time.
Yes, assuming things havenít changed, access the bolts from the bays except for the bedroom slide which has the motor under the bed.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

Slide out motor bolts

PeteDr - Think if you keep bolts tight youíll be ok. First check on mine revealed them all loose. My concerns were; motor housing is thin cast aluminum, bolts donít bottom out in housing, lots of torque going to that housing (seen pic of one with all four bolts torn off?). I elected to go with new studs bottomed out in housing + loctite with nuts to hold housing to bracket. After reading the many posts on this subject, I wanted to strengthen the whole system. Bedroom slide motor was the most difficult access, others accessed through compartments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89830115-D1B6-4357-9021-71E0315B07B7.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	347153  
xbcsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

We have owned Newmar coaches for 24 years ( 2 LA and a Essex) and all have had slide out motor bolts come lose issue. Our 18 LA which was purchased new and checked the slide motor bolts within 6 months and all kitchen bolts, 8, were lose and the bedroom slide large wood screws along with slide out motor bolts like wise. Contacted Newmar and was told that couldn't be because they use Lock-Tite on all slide out motor bolts. THERE WAS NO SLIDE MOOR BOLTS THAT HAD ANY LOCK-TIE ON THEM. ON the bedroom slide out the large wood screw that hold the motor to the bed frame had to large of washers which let the head of the bolt go through the opening.
We went with 5/16 studs 1 1/2 in length which we then Lock-Tite in the motor assembly. Then used serrated nuts and then nylon nuts torqued to 30 LBS. Checked them with in the last couple weeks and both kitchen and bedroom slide OK after almost 3 years. This problem can be fixed. Hundreds of owners have spent thousands of dollars because these slide out motor bolts have loosened.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout