Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
That’s why I picked the LA for my example.

We also have a 17 LA. It has the silverleaf readout showing all zeros. You can add the Valor system for $6000, if we would have known it could have been added during build for $1200. Spartan puts the bands on inner wheel before tires are installed. Now each tire has to be unseated to have installed.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
We also have a 17 LA. It has the silverleaf readout showing all zeros. You can add the Valor system for $6000, if we would have known it could have been added during build for $1200. Spartan puts the bands on inner wheel before tires are installed. Now each tire has to be unseated to have installed.
I have a 2028 New Aire which has silverleaf as well and have been told by TST and confirmed by Silverleaf that TST is very close to allowing their system show up on silver leaf. If you have a TST system they say the blue tooth sender will cost about $100.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
I have a pressure pro, it only monitors pressure not temperature. Is temperature that important? Important enough to change?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
I’m not an expert but I feel the temperature is equally important. If the tire is flexing too much it builds heat which leads to tire failures. I wouldn’t scrimp on something this important.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtsr View Post
I have a pressure pro, it only monitors pressure not temperature. Is temperature that important? Important enough to change?
Temperature is very important.

I had a dragging caliper out of the blue. The tire was much hotter than the others by touch. The I don’t have a TPMS yet, had I had one I would have been aware of the issue. The only reason I knew is I was on the way to the mech for something else and smelled the brakes when I got out. It was a short drive, the tire was hot enough to also smell the rubber faintly and the wheel simulator was hot. Had it been the usual hours of driving before stopping it would have been a disaster.

The reason I don’t have one yet is I can’t decide. I am trying to determine which unit will recognize a missing sensor faster. I read some accounts of units not registering a missing sensor until the unit reinitialized by powering off. I can’t find the info and relied on my memory to know which unit it was.

Someone tested theirs by putting it on a tire of a different vehicle near the unit and then drove away from the vehicle with the sensor. They found out about the not registering the missing sensor when their rear trailer axle lost the entire wheel.

Although given my recent experience I should probably just pick one.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
I have had the pressure pro for nine years. I have had to replace the sensors after five years. One sensor wasn't working because the battery died, so I replaced all of them figuring they were due, they were $39 each. They are very reliable and accurate.I haven't had any problems at all except for the batteries after five years. I leave it plugged in all the time. Before I get on the road I look at the console and if all is good, off I go. I do check the pressure with a gauge once in awhile and it is always accurate. I just found out they do alert you if the temperature goes over 194 degrees. It does not give you a temperature reading. There is an updated model that will give you both. It is the pressure pro pulse. I don't think it is worth it for me to upgrade at a cost of $675 for eight tires just to get the temperature. The pulse does do a lot more things that I don't need. The regular pressure pro 8 is $470. If I was looking for new I would probably buy the Pulse.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #91

Thanks folks! After reading all the post I opted for the TireMinder A1A TPMS system with 6 sensors.

Bought on eBay for $343.20

Had a bit of a problem with the seller as they shipped me a 4 sensor package and I had to ship it all back which delayed me getting them installed for a couple of weeks.

But have all six installed and have yet to take a trip, but I think the peace of mind will be worth it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Does anyone think color display is worth extra money? I’m getting ready to buy TST. Also, I know price not always only consideration unless manufacturers warranty/service excellent. Any thoughts on where to buy?
roguefriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #93

I purchased both of my systems directly from Tire System Technologies since their office is fairly close to my principle residence. They were polite, helpful and very knowledgeable.

I have owned two of their units, because it turned out cheaper to purchase a second entire new system after all but one of the sensors on the first system either needed battery replacement or were killed by rocks on the Dalton highway in Alaska.

I am amazed at the difference in the display between the older unit and the new color unit. Not only is the color display larger and easier to read, but the controls are much improved and more logical, at least to me, and there are improvements in the way the sensors are reported when the tow vehicle separates from the main vehicle.

I recommend the color display and purchasing from whoever provides the best deal for the system you need. The folks at TST tell me they stand behind their products no matter who sold them. The benefit of purchasing directly from the company is you can select the exact system you need whereas others seem to only sell predefined kits.

Hope you find the perfect system - TPS, never leave home without one!
- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #94

A question about TPM systems

Went ahead and ordered the EEZ TPMS for my 2015 VTDP + toad (12 sensors). Never did receive an order confirmation, called a couple of times, still no copy of the order. The order showed up last Friday and I went to set up and install on Sunday. All went well except two of the sensors would not program. Tried everything that was suggested. Even called their support line 2x. All they would recommend was check the voltage on the batteries. I decided to just take a battery out of one that was programmed successfully and, lo and behold, both were able to be programmed. When I called back to let them know that the issue was the batteries, all I got was crickets.

Went to Walmart this AM to buy 2 CR1632 - wow these must be gold as they were $4.48 each. Will order some on Amazon later this week so I have a complete backup set since the “new” ones were dead on these two.

Sure do hope they work well. Seem to be fine so far. Not a lot of faith in EEZ customer “support”. Especially on a $500+ sale. Oh well.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan39 View Post
I have a TPMS System and besides some sensitivity issues it works great. However, I have been unable to mount a sensor for the inner dual because the valve stem is short. Yes, I asked the dealer for a solution and they did not have one because they said an valve stem extension "Leaks" significantly. I don't like the stress I have to place on the valve stem even to check the tire pressure. Every time I pull the stem up to get a gauge on it I hope I won't brake it. Any recommendation / advise

John Ryan

2016 Canyon Star - 3903 - Loaded

Army Retired & Disabled Veteran

Have extensions on both rear tires on the dual axle. Never a leak, works great. Don’t buy cheap. Get them from a truck supply company.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
When we tow, we use a dolly. Can sensors be put on tow dolly even though tires require different pressure?
roguefriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefriar View Post
When we tow, we use a dolly. Can sensors be put on tow dolly even though tires require different pressure?
Yes absolutely ! Many of us do this , no problem . I have TT 507 .
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefriar View Post
The TST system I have and I suspect all others allow the setting of the pressure by axle This way you can set a different pressure for the steer axle, the drive axle, the dolly axle and the car axle that is on the ground. Setting by axle is ok because you want the same pressure on both sides of the vehicle in all cases.

With this arrangement you have a monitor on all things that roll a condition that I highly recommend.

Hope this helps.
- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote