Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
A/C Condensate Drain?

While washing and waxing the coach this weekend, I saw a trace of water just in front of the DS tire. Only a few drips were coming out and I traced it to a PVC elbow poking through a hole at the front top left of the wheel well. When I reached my hand up to it it was loose like it was attached to a flexible hose or maybe taped to something with electrical tape, but I was able to move it freely.
Is this a drain for the front AC roof unit? Its in line with the end of the front DS gutter, but I thought that drain worked its way to the generator area. I had run the AC a few days before, but I also had just washed the coach, so either drain could still have water in it.
If in fact it is a drain and is disconnected from the drain tube, will water draining on top of the wheel well cause any problems or will it just work its way out? I don't see any way to get above the wheel well metal pan to reattach the elbow to whatever it has disengaged from.
Sorry, the attached image is upside down. I was holding my phone the wrong way. Button to the right, button to the right.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Drain.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	286993  
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

The drain for the AC and water on the roof are blue and have a black duck bills on the end. Should have drains both front and rear which will get plugged and need to blow comp. air from the bottom to clean out. On our LA we fount putting and screen above the drain hole stop the tube from getting plugged up often.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I have found the blue lines with the duck bills Tom. If that is roof drain AND AC condensate, then what is this PVC drain for? The refer is way back at mid coach, so that's not it. I'm at a loss for this drain.
I'll try Spencer at Newmar in the morning.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Dash air? We have a similar stubby tube under the front of our Dutch Aire where condensation drips from the dash air when used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Yes, I have found the blue lines with the duck bills Tom. If that is roof drain AND AC condensate, then what is this PVC drain for? The refer is way back at mid coach, so that's not it. I'm at a loss for this drain.
I'll try Spencer at Newmar in the morning.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I thought that too, but I get the condensation from the dash air in the front of the coach by the generator.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I believe they're A/C drains. The roof drains to the four corners (blue tubes) but I believe the A/C units have their own drain, rather than dribble on the roof and then run to a corner. I have similar drains mid coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spencer just emailed me back. He's confirming with the service techs, but he said there is a drain pan below the drivers side operable window to collect water from the window and the elbow is attached to that drain pan. That would make sense as I had washed the coach a couple days before. I'm still not sure that if that elbow is disconnected from the pan is there anything that would get damaged from any water weeping from that pan?
Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On mine, I have black hoses along the door on the pass thru bay.....A/C drains. I've never seen the window drain.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I have those too Don.
This one is way up in the front left corner of the driver's side wheel well. If you were to turn the wheels to the right and stick your head in there, you would see it. You may just see about a 1" hole with the PVC peaking down from the hole. The PVC would be black as it looks like it was installed before the frame was painted. I would have never seen it if it wasn't dripping. Now, I just need to see if I can get to the connection above the pan and reseal the PVC to whatever it was attached to.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Yes, I have those too Don.
This one is way up in the front left corner of the driver's side wheel well. If you were to turn the wheels to the right and stick your head in there, you would see it. You may just see about a 1" hole with the PVC peaking down from the hole. The PVC would be black as it looks like it was installed before the frame was painted. I would have never seen it if it wasn't dripping. Now, I just need to see if I can get to the connection above the pan and reseal the PVC to whatever it was attached to.

I have not looked closely at ours but I have seen water draining in the area of the front left tire due to rain and washing the coach. Although I never confirmed it, I pretty much knew that it had to be the drain for the power window cavity.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are also shallow drain pans on the corners of some of the slideouts. I know my kitchen slide and FWS (electric/Ventana) both have these drain lines.

The kitchen front corner exits in the PS front wheel well similar on FWS drivers steer wheel well. There are black drain tubes in the bays on both sides for the rear corners.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote