Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

AC showing E1

This morning my rear AC is showing E1. I did all the recommended resets and now zone 2 doesn't even show up. I'll get a mobile tech out but was wondering for future reference if there was any way to convince the thermostat to work on FURN. Isn't the E1 communication fault only for the roof unit?
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

Please be aware that if you're using an App to post on iRV2 ; your signature line doesn't show up .

I don't know if the site is working on a fix for this issue, but just so you know .
Old 09-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

It doesn't show up but it's a few clicks away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #4

I had the same code. The phone cable between the zone 1 air conditioner and zone 3 air conditioner lost its signal. Thermostat in all functions are disabled. I also ended up replacing the thermostat as well to get everything functioning again.

Its an incredibly stupid design. The Oasis system for heating the coach should not be depending on the wiring in the air conditioners.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #5

I'm in a 2019 ventana 3412. Twinboat I don't understand your few clicks reference. Thunderidge did you replace any cable? I've ordered a control board but didn't get a replacement thermostat yet. Can I run RJ45 externally to verify my cabling? I'm full-time and not getting any mobile tech takers.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #6

E1 for me has always meant, not enough electricity, as in house batteries will not run air. When you power up the GEN, or plug into a 50AMP power source the E1 will go away, at least it does for me.

Another place I would look is make sure your rig is set for 50AMP max. In your power monitoring panel, go to the section that selects the max amps. If memory serves me, it is under TECH.
stutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
I'm in a 2019 ventana 3412. Twinboat I don't understand your few clicks reference. Thunderidge did you replace any cable? I've ordered a control board but didn't get a replacement thermostat yet. Can I run RJ45 externally to verify my cabling? I'm full-time and not getting any mobile tech takers.
I did have the cable replaced. The technician had to fish it through the ducts from the front to rear air conditioner. That and a new thermostat solved the problem. Yes, I believe you can run the cable externally. Make sure the phone cable is wired correctly. It’s standard phone cable and connectors that you can make up yourself but, wired differently than for a phone. There is directions somewhere online or in the Dometic manual. I don’t remember exactly.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

Based on other posts I can see that I can check the cables by attaching externally to the thermostat and to the first ac unit (that connection appears to be still working) and then check the second cable between the ac units by attaching an external cable between them. I see Dometic sells an 18 ft cable. Any idea if I can use a standard cat 6 or cat 5e patch cable?
Old 09-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
I had the same code. The phone cable between the zone 1 air conditioner and zone 3 air conditioner lost its signal. Thermostat in all functions are disabled. I also ended up replacing the thermostat as well to get everything functioning again.

It’s an incredibly stupid design. The Oasis system for heating the coach should not be depending on the wiring in the air conditioners.
I agree. The design does not seem to make sense. Then again, I like to think I’m smart enough to operate a thermostat, but confess to having been baffled a few times by this multi-mode hvac conglomeration of disparate systems. I’m guessing the reason it’s done the way it is that the Oasis share the three temp sensors with AC/Heat pumps & Dometic Thermostat in order to operate in “AUTO” mode. And by the way, I will never use AUTO mode again. One cool morning we had the heated tile floors on with Auto mode set in all three zones. Some how, we had AC running in one or two warm zones, and a heat pump and furnace in the other zone.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #10

On my 2 AC ventana there appear to be 2 RJ11 communication cables attached to each AC board. Lower left note says both to the t-stat. I was expecting 2 at the front and I guess 1 at the rear AC. The thermostat has a single connector at the back. I have a cable replacement that I had intended to attach externally between the front working AC and the rear. Any idea which cable that would be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211005_165129.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	345192  
Old 10-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #11

Dometic support advises that I can plug either one of P1 or P2 to the thermostat to test. I've done that and P2 "sees" the front air conditioner but P1 shows nothing. Dometic support is not clear about what that means and asked me to leave 120v and 12v off for 20 minutes. I have to admit that although I had removed power before it was not for 20 minutes. If this produces no change I guess I'll replace the board since I have one on hand and I'll be out of other options.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #12

Here is a very good explanation of a diagnostic process: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...de-224933.html

I've not had the front open where I guess the cables enter the roof under the Styrofoam insulation. Are their additional RJ11 connectors there? Sounds like there are but I won't get a chance to check until next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211005_171330.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	345301