Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #1

I was cruising alot at about 69 and have never floored the coach but decided to see what it would do....in a VERY short time I was at 80!! Dont think it ever came out of top gear and was still accelerating when I let off...I was impressed but not NEAR as impressed as when I get to the pumps if I drove like that alot
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #2

I was cruising alot at about 69 and have never floored the coach but decided to see what it would do....in a VERY short time I was at 80!! Dont think it ever came out of top gear and was still accelerating when I let off...I was impressed but not NEAR as impressed as when I get to the pumps if I drove like that alot
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

You drive like that TOO much and you'll get an invitation to see the inner workings of the local traffic court...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That'a why they put in big fuel tanks so the fuel gauge doesn't go down as fast as the speed picks up!
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

John, as I'm just getting back from a Daytona Beach to Virginia run, where I ran with the big boys around 75 MPH, I can attest to the fuel going away faster than normal...

Gas mileage?? WASSAT??
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Speed sure does make a difference in fuel economy but it's nice to have that power under your pedal when you need it. You can never have too much power. However, you can "use" too much power at times. I remember hitting the pedal on a ramp where the rain was starting to freeze and feeling the back end break loose when the turbo spooled up. Now that'll get your heart pumping. now I'm careful to squeeze the go pedal and feed it in gradually if it's not a dry road.

With Bob's 600 HP ISX he should be able to lay down 4 beautiful rubber patches once his turbo spools up. Now, that would be a real fun ride.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Mark,I will always have a profound respect for the mountains in and around Lewisburg,WV as it was there that I slipped and slid down the mountain trying to get home before the potential of them getting more snow and being snowed in...
Having to deactivate the traction control and hang in the rumble strip to get down the hill is NOT a warm fuzzy memory...

I know...I should be shot for doing it too...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We travel to and from Western New York to the south during the winter. We no longer use I-79. We drive the extra 40 miles and take I-77 up to Cleveland.

One is because of the general condition of the roads, two, the winter conditions can be treacherous.

Oh yeah, you have to pay a toll in WV.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Asa soon to be full timere from Minnesota I have been wqondering about how these big DPs handle in snow and ice - I don't think I'll be spending any winters here but one never knows so it would be nice to know how muc one needs to sty away from sinter roads.

Teh 20 inches we got a coupleof weeks ago has almost all melted :-( - yuck browm and muddy
mrmrsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Umm....maybe putting your rig type in your profile would help everyone answer rog specific issues...

As far as driving DP's in winter, there are many issues to consider.
Firstly, the condition of the underside of the rig while driving on the salt/cindered roads and the effect of the road salt on the undercarriage of the coach.
Then there's the obvious issue of driving on said roads.....Having just made the trek from Nappanee to Virginia Beach recently, I can tell you it's no walk in the park.
The "auto traction control" needs to be the first button you turn off....sounds weird eh?

I don't recommend doing what I did to anyone, but schedules be darned, sometimes ys have to do what ya have to do.....
Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Like Bob said, it happens and sometimes you have to deal with it. When crossing the Bighorns one fall the light misting rain suddenly turned to snow above 8,000'. We had to climb to 11,000' and then back down again to 8,000' before the snow and sleet turned back to rain. No place to turn around and waiting it out could have gotten us even deeper into a mess. So, you just go slow and easy. I've found that generally a 40' DP handles slippery conditions very well as long as it's in a straight line. If you go too fast around a curve and the extra weight causes you to slide sideways you're history. The secret is gradually apply power and gradually brake and keep your lateral G's down in the curves. Do nothing suddenly. Of course this technique won't allow you to build up any big speed or else you won't have enough time to react and haul it down but it will get you there. There's times that I've gotten out to clean the windshield from packed ice and I could hardly walk without slipping but yet the Bus drove right on through (although slowly ).

I will admit that it helps to know how to drive in snow in the first place. The lessons you learn from driving normal vehicles in a winter climate like Wisconsin pay off when you encounter them in a large RV. If you're not experienced with winter driving then learning oin the fly in a 40' coach is probably not the best time to find out.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #12

Larry

Since I retired from corporate america, I deliver MCI and VanHool tour buses part time. I have thousands of miles in snow and ice in these 45 foot rigs. The best advice I can give you is take it slow and easy with no sudden moves. Once the rig gets out of shape, you're just along for the ride. There is little or nothing you can do. I was once going east on I80 in Pennsylvania in a 45 ft MCI on a dry, clear morning. I came over the top of one of the hills and hit lake affect snow / ice on the roadway. I was pegged against the govenor at 70 mph. I let off on the gas and the bus immediately started to go sideways because the retarder kicked in. (The control to turn the retarder off was in the engine bay in back) I put my foot back into it and got it straightened out, but every time I lifted, the rear end would come out. I "powered" wide open down the hill for about 3 miles praying there wasn't a curve at the bottom. There wasn't. If there had been, I wouldn't be here today. Bottom line, there was absolutely no warning that I was going to come over the crest of this hill into the mess I hit. My mistake was I should have paid more attention to the temperature and the POTENTIAL of unexpected ice. What also helped save me was that I grew up in Minnesota and have plenty of experience on ice. Because these rigs are long and relatively narrow, they will give you a false sense of security because they feel "glued" to the pavement. Even in minor ice and snow. BUT, when they break loose, there is virtually no recovery possible. It's a scary ride, I say ride because you're no longer driving. My best advice is to wait out the snow and ice if at all possible.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote