Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Access to Coach compressed air

On my 2008 Essex I have a female air fitting in my engine compartment. Does anyone know what it’s for?

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #2

To plug into to air up tires and such.. It works great and no need to unnecessarily carry any other type of aftermarket compressor. Pick up a thin hose and an air chuck. and you are golden. Good time to check your tires is when you are warming it up.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

The coach air is not useful for adding air to the tires. Our pressures are too high.

Generally, those connections (one front and one back) are used to release the brakes when the coach is being towed.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
The coach air is not useful for adding air to the tires. Our pressures are too high.

Generally, those connections (one front and one back) are used to release the brakes when the coach is being towed.
? What ? I routinely top off my 120 PSI tires on my 43ft tag axle coach. And i know many travel partners that do the same. . LOL ! My god what pressures are you running ?? And what kind of tires do you use ?
Old 01-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Pressures too high? You might not be able to seat a tire, but you can add air (unless you’re running more than 120psi). The MH has four quick connects, one for each tank, one for towing, and one for plugging an air hose into. I carry 50’of hose that lets me easily reach all 8 tires.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
R.E.D......Go ahead and give it a try, but most engine compressors cut out at 115 psi. Even if they cut out at 120 psi, they don't stay there, all you have to do is just watch your dash gauges as you drive.

Many make contraptions to trick the air system and then weight for the coach to build the air back up to fill their tires. To me, it's a waste of time and annoying to others if you do that in a campground.

Like I said, give it a try and then go buy a compressor.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
R.E.D......Go ahead and give it a try, but most engine compressors cut out at 115 psi. Even if they cut out at 120 psi, they don't stay there, all you have to do is just watch your dash gauges as you drive.

Many make contraptions to trick the air system and then weight for the coach to build the air back up to fill their tires. To me, it's a waste of time and annoying to others if you do that in a campground.

Ive had 3 coaches and have never had a problem getting 120.psi to fill up some tires. And there is plenty of time to top off a tire or two in a campground while your rig is warming up. The real waste would to drag around an unnecessary piece of 'extra' equipment. Sounds like your having some problems with your air system. Maybe a weak compressor ? Anyway you should have that looked at. Sounds like its on the way out :(
Old 01-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Agree w DSDon and hope I'm not next to those running their rig to air up.
I start up and back / pull out of our sites as soon as wevarevaired up and proceed to a common area our of the way to hook up. No argument... it can be done. I'll take a separate air compressor any day.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Agree w DSDon and hope I'm not next to those running their rig to air up.
I start up and back / pull out of our sites as soon as wevarevaired up and proceed to a common area our of the way to hook up. No argument... it can be done. I'll take a separate air compressor any day.
If your tires are in need of that much air going to a common are to take care of them will work also. Most people now have TPMS and know before the start up if they even have a low tire. If they do its maybe 1. If you are noticing many low tires often its time to have them looked at.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with Don. On my third DP and even though the onboard compressor may get me to the 115 in the fronts and 85 in the rears and tags, its right at the top end of what the coach air will do so it takes forever. I bought a Viair 450P-RV a few years ago and haven't looked back. Its small and lightweight, so no trouble getting it out of the bag and hooking it up and airing up. Easily 4 times faster than fighting with the coach air.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.D. View Post
On my 2008 Essex I have a female air fitting in my engine compartment. Does anyone know what it’s for?

Thank you
RED,while they all debate putting air in the tires,
I suspect that air fitting in the engine compartment is if you have a braking system for your towed vehicle that is AIR Actuated ie,air force 1 or similar
You probably have a fitting in the gen area to blow up bike tires or if your mirror home needs a tow....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:18 PM   #12

"warming up the diesel"--M-G--how old school is that? Its so much more convenient to have a small, portable compressor on board to handle all your air-up needs [eg pumping up your Jeep tires after an exciting day off-road] without starting the engine, inflating the bags, and P-Oing your neighbors....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
"warming up the diesel"--M-G--how old school is that? Its so much more convenient to have a small, portable compressor on board to handle all your air-up needs [eg pumping up your Jeep tires after an exciting day off-road] without starting the engine, inflating the bags, and P-Oing your neighbors....
Could not agree more. Nothing more annoying than having to listen to a diesel next door idling for forever. Besides it is NOT great for the engine or the environment.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #14

The air connects are also used for towing so when towed a air line is connected from tow truck to your coach to get ride correct.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air