Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Accident Repairs

On a trip last week, I-77 was closed at mile marker 68 up in the mountains of WV. The interstate was closed north bound due to a chemical spill. We were diverted off to the main emergency bypass route, but there was an accident there as well. We were stuck in a train of cars on a paved mountain switch-back road. It started out as a divided two lane road and then changed into a 1 1/2 lane road with no center lines. In trying to cross a small one lane bridge on a tight corner, we did some damage to the bottom portion of the passenger side. From the front wheels, all the way back. Two cargo doors are very badly damaged. One will not open and the other has to be held closed with a cord. There is a deep scrape to the remaining cargo doors. No damage to the tires, and we were able to continue on our trip. No damage to the slides or anywhere above the cargo doors.

I consider consider ourselves lucky to be able to continue on our trip. But, we learned some important lessons on his one. Always be careful when you are up in the mountains. A lot of those old roads are not suitable for RV's. Low bridges, narrow bridges, and no place to turn around. And, I should have had my wife spot me on the bridge.

I live in Greensboro NC, and I was wondering the best place to get the repairs done. I am willing to drive up to Newmar for the repairs to get it done right. I am leary of Tom Johnson's Camping World and I am not familiar with any body and paint shops in the area. I am equally concerned of the insurance company's recommendation.
The_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi The_Edge,
Sorry to learn of the damage. There is a coach at Camp Newmar right now who had some side panel work done by a highly recommended body shop. It was done very poorly. He is now going to get it done by Newmar and get it done correctly. Consider taking pictures and contacting Newmar to see when it can be done.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi The_Edge,
Sorry to learn of the damage. There is a coach at Camp Newmar right now who had some side panel work done by a highly recommended body shop. It was done very poorly. He is now going to get it done by Newmar and get it done correctly. Consider taking pictures and contacting Newmar to see when it can be done.
Thanks Gary. I am waiting to hear back from Newmar. I have a trip planned in September, and so I wanted to get it done by then. But, if the lead time is greater than that, at least the coach is drivable, and I could bring it up after the trip. It just looks ugly as sin, and brings a tear to my eye when I look at it.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

You might want to consider a trip to Winter Garden, FL and have Independence RV do the repairs. They had to fix factory oversprays and dirt in the clear coat on my new Ventana. They did a really nice job, and we stayed in the coach over night on the lot so they could buff it out the next day.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi The_Edge,
Don't feel alone. I've been there and done that.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

Bob's RV Body Shop in Marion NC is the best in the country. I would drive many miles for them to do any body repair for me. In fact I drove all the way from Maine just so they could do the repair for me. It will be like new when they finish with it.

828 460 7352
828 442 4333

Before the sale of Tom Johnson to Camping World, they did all of the TJ body work. Since the sale they have done none for TJ.

They really are quality. If you contact them, tell them I told you about them.

Good Luck!
Wil
wca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wca01 View Post
Bob's RV Body Shop in Marion NC is the best in the country. I would drive many miles for them to do any body repair for me. In fact I drove all the way from Maine just so they could do the repair for me. It will be like new when they finish with it.

828 460 7352
828 442 4333

Before the sale of Tom Johnson to Camping World, they did all of the TJ body work. Since the sale they have done none for TJ.

They really are quality. If you contact them, tell them I told you about them.

Good Luck!
Wil

Will,

Thanks for the reference. I will check them out. I looked at their website and it seems they are certified by Newmar to do insurance work. A brief google had some nice testimonials as well. That would we a heck of a lot closer than bringing it up to Newmar for the repairs.

Dave
Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

They really are the very best. They have done several repairs for me for problems like yours. If your doors are badly damaged they will get new Newmar doors

They even repaired a hitch frame for me that another service had almost destroyed.

After damaging the passenger side cabinets, I have learned to make "square" turns. Don't worry they will make you whole.

They will even let you stay in their building in your MH overnight with 50 amps - no water - no sewer.
Good Luck!

Wil
wca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Probably a little far for you, but after my house gutter decoration on our coach, Ansley RV in Duncansville, Pa. made humpty-dumpty look brand new, in fact I would bet no one could see where the damage was, and it was significant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs