Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Accumulator Tank -- How useful?

In reading the literature of the 2022 Newmar Essex, I came across this blurb:

Quote:
Bladder Tank for Water Pump System

This is not present on the 2022 London Aire, so I headed off to comnet to discover what this is. I found out it is an Accumulator tank, made by Sureflo part #182-100.

Amazon has part #182-200, which has different fittings, but otherwise identical.

I understand what the role is, reduce the surge for small amounts of water usage. What I am more interested in is steady flow from the pump.I have replaced my pumps with variable speed pumps, and most of the time the flow is steady. There are times though that the flow will increase up and down with additional usage (ie: someone in the shower, and I am washing hands, etc).

How well does the small accumulator tank work? Even better, has anyone coupled this with a variable speed pump?
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #2

I have the accumulator you reference. It works fine, but you only get a few seconds of water before the pump kicks in. If I did it again, I'd leave the tank out and just go with the variable speed pump. It's just one more place for a leak to occur and doesn't buy you much with the new pumps that can handle low flow without pulsing.
Danny969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #3

Interesting, I thought class A coaches pretty much all had an accumulator.

My coach has one, and it works great. Holds enough pressure for a bowl fill, or a few hand washes with the pump off, and the water flow with the pump on is very consistent.
Not sure if it's the one you're interested in, but I think it is something every coach owner might want if they have the space to mount it.
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #4

Most RV Pump MFGs do not recommend an accumulator tank with a Variable Speed Pump

REMCO 55AQUAJET
No accumulator tank required.
If an accumulator tank is already installed in your system, either bypass or eliminate it

Seaflo Variable Flow SE24FR
No accumulator tank necessary

And if the pumps uses Bypass Controls
No accumulator tank necessary

Accumulator Tanks work best with constant demand RV Pumps.
Turn pump off at night and you can still flush toilet W/O using pump
*If using City Water....no reason for an accumulator tank
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In years past, I installed an accumulator tank in a slide in camper we had, to keep the pulsating down. Once high-volume variable speed pumps came along, no need for an accumulator tank.

With that said, a London Aire is a pretty high end coach. You would think they would put in a variable speed pump. Maybe there is some reason were not seeing that an accumulator is needed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

Doesn't the air pocket in the water heater accomplish about the same thing? You just need some compressible air somewhere in the closed water system.

I know that, when I have my winterizing bypass closed on the WH, i get the annoying pump pulsing, and when I open the pathway to the WH, the pulsing goes away. And, yes, I do periodically need to drain the WH and refill it to re-establish the air bubble. But it seems to handle the pulsing problem.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
In years past, I installed an accumulator tank in a slide in camper we had, to keep the pulsating down. Once high-volume variable speed pumps came along, no need for an accumulator tank.

With that said, a London Aire is a pretty high end coach. You would think they would put in a variable speed pump. Maybe there is some reason were not seeing that an accumulator is needed.

Sadly the pump that Newmar installs is not a variable speed. That will be my first upgrade. Sounds like I can safely skip the accumulator tank.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

We converted our water system to full RO water. As such we depend 100% on the pump for water as it all comes from the tank. After going through three variable speed pumps it was recommended that we switch over to a constant speed pump with an accumulator. One benefit, itís so quiet you cannot detect it is running. Volume is good but Iím always looking for more. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	354145
Old 01-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
We converted our water system to full RO water. As such we depend 100% on the pump for water as it all comes from the tank. After going through three variable speed pumps it was recommended that we switch over to a constant speed pump with an accumulator. One benefit, itís so quiet you cannot detect it is running. Volume is good but Iím always looking for more. Attachment 354145
your accumulator tank looks much beefier than the one newmar listed.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

I have seen the Remco Var speed recommendation to remove the accumulator...and my RV doesn't have one now...but I am trying to understand the reason WHY it's recommended to remove. Yes, more leak points, and more stuff to carry, but is there another more pressure / reliability / confuse the var speed pressure sensor reason?

I have my whole wet bay apart (for many months now...) so now would be the time to figure this part of the system out.

RedBaron - certainly keep the old constant speed pump as a spare...I would even consider ordering a rebuild kit for the new Remco. The bearing is actually a very popular skate board wheel bearing available many places online. Same bearing in at least a HydroHot blower...So I keep a handful of them for spare parts too. These pumps are high failure points.
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I installed the 55 Aquajet 5.3 ARV last summer and my water flow is not smooth till faucet is wide open, water pressure pulsates up and down. They state that the pressure is controlled by a circuit board and is not adjustable.......I have not call Remco as of yet, maybe today after reading this thread. Anyone that has this pump have any suggestion's?
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #12

I had issues with my wh leaking from the relief valve and none of the fixes would stop it. Installed a very small bladder tank on the cold water line and no more drips. Also as below delayed the start of the pump for very short water usage need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny969 View Post
I have the accumulator you reference. It works fine, but you only get a few seconds of water before the pump kicks in. If I did it again, I'd leave the tank out and just go with the variable speed pump. It's just one more place for a leak to occur and doesn't buy you much with the new pumps that can handle low flow without pulsing.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I installed the 55 Aquajet 5.3 ARV last summer and my water flow is not smooth till faucet is wide open, water pressure pulsates up and down. They state that the pressure is controlled by a circuit board and is not adjustable.......I have not call Remco as of yet, maybe today after reading this thread. Anyone that has this pump have any suggestion's?
This has been my experience with remco pumps as well.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I had issues with my wh leaking from the relief valve and none of the fixes would stop it. Installed a very small bladder tank on the cold water line and no more drips. Also as below delayed the start of the pump for very short water usage need.
I believe this symptom is rare, although Atwood's water heater instructions do include it, along with two suggested fixes, of which adding an accumulator is one. My coach had the same symptom, and I added a small (one liter) bladder accumulator to fix it.

An accumulator used this way is set for a pressure of 60 to 70 psi, so does not store water except when the water heater is on and all the water outlets shut off.

I could go on, but do not want to derail the OP's thread.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank