Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Adaptive cruise control/collision mitigation

Does anyone know if the Vorad or On Guard systems can be added to a coach which is on a dealers lot? Thanks for any help.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think it would depend on the dealer's service departments technical expertise. Since an Adaptive Cruise Control is integrated with radar or camera sensors, vehicle and engine speed, braking system, etc. I'd really not trust a Dealer to install it. Since an Adaptive Cruise Control is integrated with engine speed, braking system, etc. I'd really not trust a Dealer to install it.

The Vorad system by Bendix is a +$6000 feature to install.

Cummins uses Vorad as an ISX engine feature. It is installed at chassis stage, I don't think it can be added later and must be serviced and programmed by a Cummins service center.

https://cumminsengines.com/powerspec-isx-vehicle-setup

The On Guard Adaptive Cruise Control is probably installed by licensed dealers of the system. You might contact them and ask.

OnGuard™ Collision Mitigation System

I have an adaptive CC on my 2016 Subaru, it took a little time to get used to it, our first trip using it I thought it was useless because it would slow us down to the vehicle ahead's speed and I'd have to pay extra attention to pull out and pass the slower vehicle. Then I read more about it and discovered I had to set the sensitivity for distance. (each time used) Once I learned the 'trick' I liked it and have used it in many long distance trips.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

My understanding is that neither can be installed as an aftermarket item. They are both fully integrated into the chassis/engine systems.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #4

A couple of years ago while at the Newmar factory I saw a MA being retrofitted with VORAD. I assume it can be done. That was, however, before the latest added features
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
A couple of years ago while at the Newmar factory I saw a MA being retrofitted with VORAD. I assume it can be done. That was, however, before the latest added features
Having it installed at the factory is a whole different thing than asking a dealer's service department to do an install. If ordering a new unit, add it in if you wish. To pick a unit on the dealer's lot, or a used RV, installation would be very difficult and expensive.

Vorad Collision Radar Review -

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Having it installed at the factory is a whole different thing than asking a dealer's service department to do an install. If ordering a new unit, add it in if you wish. To pick a unit on the dealer's lot, or a used RV, installation would be very difficult and expensive.

Vorad Collision Radar Review -
I don't disagree but the OPs question was can VORAD be retrofitted. The coach I saw being worked on was a retrofjt
Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I don't disagree but the OPs question was can VORAD be retrofitted. The coach I saw being worked on was a retrofjt
And how far to Newmar from Elk Grove, CA? (the OP's address)

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
And how far to Newmar from Elk Grove, CA? (the OP's address)

And why does it matter? He asked if it was possible to retrofit and that is the answer I provided him. What is your issue?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
And why does it matter? He asked if it was possible to retrofit and that is the answer I provided him. What is your issue?
Don't have an 'issue,' except trying to be realistic in expectations. You said you saw the retrofit at the Newmar Factory. Again, he's in SoCal. The Newmar Factory is in Nappanee, IN. The distance isn't an insignificant part of the installation costs.(+4,300 miles, RT) Newmar has 'service centers around the U.S. and some in Canada, but can they handle an installation of the systems discussed by the OP?

I guess if the Subaru Forester I wanted to buy on the lot but didn't have the Eyesight feature that provides the collision and adaptive CC he's talking about, I could have shipped the car back to Japan and have it retrofitted. Instead they found the vehicle I wanted fitted out the way we wanted and brought it from a dealer 150 miles away.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

I did say factory and indeed it was the factory but the retrofit was being done in a service bay as an after sale addition. Again the question was it possible to retrofit? The answer is yes, apparently. Where would you have it done? That's kind of up to you. If you need to travel across the country to do it and you want to, then you can. If you choose not to then that's fine too. Again the question was Can You not where to.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Don't have an 'issue,' except trying to be realistic in expectations. You said you saw the retrofit at the Newmar Factory. Again, he's in SoCal. The Newmar Factory is in Nappanee, IN. The distance isn't an insignificant part of the installation costs.(+4,300 miles, RT) Newmar has 'service centers around the U.S. and some in Canada, but can they handle an installation of the systems discussed by the OP?

I guess if the Subaru Forester I wanted to buy on the lot but didn't have the Eyesight feature that provides the collision and adaptive CC he's talking about, I could have shipped the car back to Japan and have it retrofitted. Instead they found the vehicle I wanted fitted out the way we wanted and brought it from a dealer 150 miles away.

Elk Grove is not SoCal!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 AM   #12

It's going to take some front bumper work to mount the sensor. Other than that, it's just some harness' and a few engine (and RVM if needed) parameter changes. It's very simple to integrate into the wiring.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Elk Grove is not SoCal!
You're correct, it's a suburb of Sacramento. The northern 48 counties are considered Northern California. Thanks for pointing out that major point of this discussion.

https://www.google.com/destination?q...DAAQri4IxQUwcQ

My whole point in this nonsense is being buried with one-upmanship. The OP asked, "...can be added to a coach which is on a dealers lot? " After reading about both systems, I recommended that it was a complicated option, that requires interaction between many parts of the vehicle. Many dealers are little more than a sales lot, salesperson, and a RV mechanic. I cautioned it might require more than a dealership could handle.

The fact that someone saw it being installed at the factory....was it a RV that had been completed and sold to a dealer, then returned for retrofit? Or was it an incomplete unit having the ACC added as per a customer sales order? Can it be done at a Newmar Service Center or only at the factory, 2,157 miles from Elk Grove, CA 95624?

None of these questions can be answered by the 'facts' presented so far. We need someone who has purchased a Newmar with the ACC option. Was it only something that had to be installed during assembly, or could it be added after it leaves Nappanee and installed later?

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
You're correct, it's a suburb of Sacramento. The northern 48 counties are considered Northern California. Thanks for pointing out that major point of this discussion.

https://www.google.com/destination?q...DAAQri4IxQUwcQ

My whole point in this nonsense is being buried with one-upmanship. The OP asked, "...can be added to a coach which is on a dealers lot? " After reading about both systems, I recommended that it was a complicated option, that requires interaction between many parts of the vehicle. Many dealers are little more than a sales lot, salesperson, and a RV mechanic. I cautioned it might require more than a dealership could handle.

The fact that someone saw it being installed at the factory....was it a RV that had been completed and sold to a dealer, then returned for retrofit? Or was it an incomplete unit having the ACC added as per a customer sales order? Can it be done at a Newmar Service Center or only at the factory, 2,157 miles from Elk Grove, CA 95624?

None of these questions can be answered by the 'facts' presented so far. We need someone who has purchased a Newmar with the ACC option. Was it only something that had to be installed during assembly, or could it be added after it leaves Nappanee and installed later?
It's seriously a bumper sensor, a harness, and a module that mounts in the dash. Adaptive Cruise and Auto Resume need activated in the engine ECM. That's it.....unless the unit also has an RVM, then the parameter 04-04019-001 needs added. Simple
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, cruise control