Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Add Seat Belts to VTDP

Greetings. Last fall we purchased a 2016 VTDP 3709. The driver-side couch has two seat belts - off set slightly toward the front of the coach. There is plenty of space remaining aft of the second seat belt to install a third, especially for kids. Under the slide, I see the following situation…

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1456180448

I assume that the base of the carriage bolts shown here correspond to the 1/2 inch bolts that show behind the coach that secure the end of the seat belts (two bolts for each seat belt - one for each end).

There are open “squares” available on the steel plate. I’m hoping to drill a hole into one of the squares, insert a carriage bolt and add a third seat belt. One end of the new belt would be anchored to the bolt shown here (sharing this anchor bolt with one of the existing seat belts). The other end of the belt would be secured to the new carriage bolt to be inserted into the square near the left edge of the photo.

Questions…
1. This is a brand new coach that cost about $225,000. I’m a little cautious about drilling holes into it. Would I be drilling into the bottom lining, 3/4 inch plywood, and carpet? Anything else?
2. Are there any pipes or electrical wires imbedded in the area where I'd be drilling the pilot hole that I might hit?
3. Do you have any advice for me?

Your advice would be most appreciated.

(I am aware that few options exist to get this done professionally due to liability concerns. I am also aware that the real passenger safety in a large motor home comes with its massive size/weight. I am also aware that RV seatbelts beyond the driver and copilot do not provide the measure of safety that those in a passenger vehicle would.) As important as the additional safety is to me, I would also welcome simply having my grandkids and other passengers secured into a seat and not wondering around the coach while under way.

I have found a source to purchase reasonably priced belts at ...
Motorhome / RV Seat Belts

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BureshVTDP - 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	119621   Click image for larger version

Name:	BureshVTDP - 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	119622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BureshVTDP - 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	119623  
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bushy,
I did the same thing with my coach. For my coach there was no problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

You should be able to add another belt in the middle without drilling new hole by putting the middle new belt over the already bolted belts. 4 holes and 3 belts.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
We only require seat belt use in the driver
and passenger front seats. We ask passengers
to be seated in busy traffic, otherwise move
about cautiously while underway.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We only require seat belt use in the driver
and passenger front seats. We ask passengers
to be seated in busy traffic, otherwise move
about cautiously while underway.
Not a good idea! Ever try to keep a child seated when there's so much going on outside?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Length of anchor carriage bolt

The existing belts are unevenly positioned toward the front of the coach. I don't think it will work to just insert another belt between the existing belts. I can make use of one of the anchor bolts but I think I'll have to drill a new hole to anchor the other end.

Does anyone know the length of the carriage bolts used to anchor the belts?

I unbolted one but I'm reluctant to pound it out to see for sure how long it is. Could be that the bolts are siliconed into place to seal up the hole/connection. I don't know how thick the floor is.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote