Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #1

Added two grab rails to step-well

I posted a couple of days ago asking how to get into the back of the step-well area so I could install a grab-bar. Dutchstar Don told me how and I've done it. And while I was at it, I added another one above the original on the other side.

This was on our 2008 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher. I saw one on a 2018 DS and wanted something similar. The Newmar service place in Paso Robles said they couldn't do it. So I did it myself.

This is how it was and the green line is where I wanted to add a handle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3375_6_7_Smooth -1200.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	250572
There are four screws holding the panel in -- all on the bottom. Three of them are where the black kick-plate is at the bottom. If you feel along the bottom, you'll feel them. Two are on the right side, one is on the left side, and the fourth is inside the center console. You have to pull out the bottom drawer to see and remove it. You can see the screw here almost all the way out.

Name:	20190620_162013-1200.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	250571
And here's what's behind the panel -- in case you wondered. Somebody asked me what supports the dashboard. There's 1/4" plywood under the horizontal plastic, blocked with 2x2 lumber.

Name:	20190619_104202-1200.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	250565
The panel rests on top of the black metal kick-panel on the floor. The screws go up through tabs into the bottom of the panel.

Name:	20190619_104241-1200.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	250569
Here's what the back of the panel looks like. The straight parts are framed with 3/4" x 3/4" lumber or plywood and faced with 1/8" plywood. The curve in the middle is plastic with 3/4" plywood curves top and bottom. The plywood curves are edged with matching curves cut from aluminum and stapled to the plywood frame.

Name:	20190619_104547-1200.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	250566
I filled in between the vertical stringers with 3/4" ACX plywood -- glued in with Gorilla Glue and held down by about 75 pounds of tools and stuff. As you can see, I did this project while on the road and in a RV Park. Our picnic table was my work bench.

I through-bolted the handle with stainless steel bolts and fastened with SS Nylock nuts and big SS fender washers.

Name:	20190620_155858-1200.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	250567

Name:	20190620_155918-1200.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	250570
And here's the result.

Name:	IMG_3396_7_8_Natural-1200.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	250573
I also added a second vertical grab handle above the original Newmar one. It makes leaving the coach soooooo much safer and secure -- particularly for right-handed people (my wife for example -- I'm a leftie).

Name:	IMG_3387_8_9_Enhancer-1200.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	250568
I used 24" Delta brand bathroom "Assist Bars" because that's what I found. They're rated at 300 lbs. I ordered a bent curved handle similar to the Newmar original through Amazon, but didn't like it. So I got these at the local Ace Hardware store.

My only complaint is that they look like bathroom towel racks -- and don't match the original Newmar rail. But I wasn't ready to have custom ones made. These are cheap and work well and look OK to me.

And now that we have them, we LOVE them! How did we ever get by without them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 04:41 AM   #2

Nice MOD Woody. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

Very nicely done. Makes you wonder why this isn’t a dealer option.

Enjoy the journey
Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looks great.....I use mine all the time because of my bad knees (soon to be rebuilt). Your coach is much different than the newer models. On yours, it looks like you have quite a bit of wood structure in the panel. The newer ones are all plastic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I posted a couple of days ago asking how to get into the back of the step-well area so I could install a grab-bar. Dutchstar Don told me how and I've done it. And while I was at it, I added another one above the original on the other side.

This was on our 2008 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher. I saw one on a 2018 DS and wanted something similar. The Newmar service place in Paso Robles said they couldn't do it. So I did it myself.

This is how it was and the green line is where I wanted to add a handle.

Attachment 250572

There are four screws holding the panel in -- all on the bottom. Three of them are where the black kick-plate is at the bottom. If you feel along the bottom, you'll feel them. Two are on the right side, one is on the left side, and the fourth is inside the center console. You have to pull out the bottom drawer to see and remove it. You can see the screw here almost all the way out.

Attachment 250571

And here's what's behind the panel -- in case you wondered. Somebody asked me what supports the dashboard. There's 1/4" plywood under the horizontal plastic, blocked with 2x2 lumber.

Attachment 250565

The panel rests on top of the black metal kick-panel on the floor. The screws go up through tabs into the bottom of the panel.

Attachment 250569

Here's what the back of the panel looks like. The straight parts are framed with 3/4" x 3/4" lumber or plywood and faced with 1/8" plywood. The curve in the middle is plastic with 3/4" plywood curves top and bottom. The plywood curves are edged with matching curves cut from aluminum and stapled to the plywood frame.

Attachment 250566

I filled in between the vertical stringers with 3/4" ACX plywood -- glued in with Gorilla Glue and held down by about 75 pounds of tools and stuff. As you can see, I did this project while on the road and in a RV Park. Our picnic table was my work bench.

I through-bolted the handle with stainless steel bolts and fastened with SS Nylock nuts and big SS fender washers.

Attachment 250567

Attachment 250570

And here's the result.

Attachment 250573

I also added a second vertical grab handle above the original Newmar one. It makes leaving the coach soooooo much safer and secure -- particularly for right-handed people (my wife for example -- I'm a leftie).

Attachment 250568

I used 24" Delta brand bathroom "Assist Bars" because that's what I found. They're rated at 300 lbs. I ordered a bent curved handle similar to the Newmar original through Amazon, but didn't like it. So I got these at the local Ace Hardware store.

My only complaint is that they look like bathroom towel racks -- and don't match the original Newmar rail. But I wasn't ready to have custom ones made. These are cheap and work well and look OK to me.

And now that we have them, we LOVE them! How did we ever get by without them?
Very well done
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, something I have thought about.