Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Adding a Buddy screen for Camera and Nav

Hi We have a 22 Dutchstar 4081. We are think of adding a Buddy screen for the Camera display and and Navigation on a Ram mount by the passenger seat.
Any idea how to run the cable from the passenger seat area to the head unit in the dash. Anyone running the buddy screen have good or bad feedback on this set up.
Thank You
Joe
JosephA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did it a little differently. I didn't have a need for a camera screen as mine would only show the rear camera 99% of the time. I did have a 7" GPS unit that I mounted on the passenger side. I secured the mount to the grab rail, tucked the cable along the wall down to the cup holder. I notched the corner of the cup holder and fed the cable down into the arm rest and picked up power there.

Having a GPS unit there allows my wife to look up something while enroute to our destination (rest stop, bank, etc) without changing my in-dash GPS. It also gives us two GPS units to compare a route if necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephA View Post
Hi We have a 22 Dutchstar 4081. We are think of adding a Buddy screen for the Camera display and and Navigation on a Ram mount by the passenger seat.
Any idea how to run the cable from the passenger seat area to the head unit in the dash. Anyone running the buddy screen have good or bad feedback on this set up.
Thank You
Joe
I am considering this as well, but have not gotten too far in my research. If I'm correct, I believe the DS has the camera splitter in the passenger side cargo bay just in front of the peg board bay. The one where they normally put a half slide out tray in. I vaguely remember seeing pics of some Dutch Starts where the splitter was mounted on the top frame. My Ventana has some video cables and a splitter under the kitchen sink against the back wall. Have not investigated what they are connected to yet, but may give you some ideas.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #4

Don't mess with anything from the bay. That is not where you are wanting to pick up signal. Everything must come from the monitor itself. Easiest way to do it, is to run cables up the pillar and then behind the overhead tv and use it while driving. If not, you have to run the cables through the firewall, into the wheel well and up the passenger side console. Entegra runs their monitor through the overhead tv.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephA View Post
Thank You
Joe
@josephA Was on the coach yesterday and did a little digging in the dash. I know my Xite infotainment system is a bit different in my VTDP than yours but should be fairly close.

I pulled the head unit out to take a look at it and there is an HDMI port on the back of the unit. I tested this with a quick hard wire from that port to a TV. It will display what is on the head unit screen with the EXCEPTION of the camera. It will even display the NavnGo directions. Apparently it only displays what originates from the Xite system and NOT external data such as the camera. The camera originates from the n360 system which is also under the dash.

The #5 input wire is the camera video input to the Xite unit. It is a simple RCA type plug which is easily accessible behind the Xite unit.

So, if you wish to cast both the camera AND NavnGo GPS directions, you have to deal with 2 separate signals.

My plan to do this is to NOT try to run hard wires, but rather wirelessly transmit the signals to the driver overhead TV. I've done this before in a similar fashion on a large boat and it worked out well.

1) Since Newmar is kind of behind other manufactures when it comes to routing TV inputs to the different TV, I've already installed a 4x4 HDMI matrix box in the entertainment cabinet over Telivator. The cabinet just below the sound bar where the blue ray player used to be. this matrix box allows me to have multiple inputs and easily select which one I want to display on the front TVs.

2) Camera: I'm going to put a RCA "Y" splitter on the camera wire and then plug an RCA transmitter in the second RCA plug. There are several out there used for wireless back up cameras that will do the job. Then in the entertainment cabinet will put the RCA receiver along with an RCA to HDMI converter cable and plug that into my HDMI matrix.

3) NavnGo GPS: I will plug an HDMI transmitter directly in the back of the Xite head unit and the HDMI receiver in the HDMI matrix in the entertainment cabinet.

This will allow the viewing of both camera and directions on the overhead TV while allowing to switch between the 2 with a touch of a button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xite_hdmi.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	380196   Click image for larger version

Name:	xite_camera.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	380197  

Old 11-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #6

Thank You for all the great input
JosephA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #7

Continuing to update this thread as I work though my goals.

I was able to accomplish sending the GPS navigation to the overhead TV, which in my case was extremely easy. I don't use the Nav-n-Go on the head unit because the Xite system on the VTDP is shamefully too small. So I use the Garmin 1090 RV GPS which has a 10" screen. It actually works quite well and I'm very happy with it. I just discovered that the Garmin has a "Cast" feature that allows me to easily cast the screen to the overhead TV wirelessly.

Note: in order to use the overhead TV while driving, you will have to either pull the 12v wire from the overhead TV electrical outlet or pull the F25 fuse from the electrical compartment that is located in front of the driver front wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garmin_cast.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	380389  
Old 11-08-2022, 07:12 AM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
What's the trick to gaining access to the rear of the overhead TV? I'm afraid if I pry too hard on the vented panels I will damage them.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat pelican View Post
What's the trick to gaining access to the rear of the overhead TV? I'm afraid if I pry too hard on the vented panels I will damage them.
The back vent is held on with Silicon. I have not taken the vent cover off myself, but I would think a flat putty spade type tool would help. Just take your time.

Curious as to what you want to do behind the TV?
Old 11-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I did remove the vent cover on the back side of the front TV to unplug the Yellow leads that kill the TV when Ignition is on. Small pin nails and silicon hold it on and use a small plastic putty knife will do the trick. Ran the cable from under the dash, thru the pillar and to the TV.

We do use it this way but also use my wife's cell phone with her Google Maps when driving for a SECOND OPINION.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nav Screen on overhead TV 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	380461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Screen on Overhead TV pass view.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	380462  

Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I did remove the vent cover on the back side of the front TV to unplug the Yellow leads that kill the TV when Ignition is on. Small pin nails and silicon hold it on and use a small plastic putty knife will do the trick. Ran the cable from under the dash, thru the pillar and to the TV.

We do use it this way but also use my wife's cell phone with her Google Maps when driving for a SECOND OPINION.
Can you explain how you cast from the garmin GPS to the TV
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh5525 View Post
Can you explain how you cast from the garmin GPS to the TV
My Kenwood/Garmin unit has an RCA output which I used. Ran the RCA cable video output up the drivers pillar and over to the back of the TV. Used the TV's Video2 input for the RCA cable input.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
Continuing to update this thread as I work though my goals.

I was able to accomplish sending the GPS navigation to the overhead TV, which in my case was extremely easy. I don't use the Nav-n-Go on the head unit because the Xite system on the VTDP is shamefully too small. So I use the Garmin 1090 RV GPS which has a 10" screen. It actually works quite well and I'm very happy with it. I just discovered that the Garmin has a "Cast" feature that allows me to easily cast the screen to the overhead TV wirelessly.

Note: in order to use the overhead TV while driving, you will have to either pull the 12v wire from the overhead TV electrical outlet or pull the F25 fuse from the electrical compartment that is located in front of the driver front wheel.

Would explain the Cast feature you referred to? I don’t see any information in the manual on how this is accomplished to the overhead TV.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #14

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Bayrunner,

I have something rattling behind the overhead TV. It's very annoying as we travel. The Entrance Door has a bad squeak too, but that's another topic.

Dean

Tags
camera, scr