Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Adding an exterior water faucet?

The 2019 Dutch Start 4369 Spartan I've got didn't come with the hot water line up by the generator, but in order to be able to use a self-contained (i.e., use the fresh water tank) pressure washer I'd like to add a faucet somewhere to which I can connect the pressure washer. I don't really care whether it's hot or cold, but I'm looking for advice/recommendations on the best/easiest place to which to add such an exterior faucet. Anybody done this already?

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #2

One of the few options our DS4369 does NOT have is the hot water line at front of coach. I don’t remember the details but while it’s an inexpensive factory option (at time of build) it was not an easy addition later (at least for hot water). There is the hand held supply in the water bay. I would also at least wonder if your 12v water pump (that’s powering your on board fresh water system) has enough volume to supply a pressure washer. Just don’t know.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Would replacing the hand shower in the wet bay with a real faucet meet your needs? Here’s how we did it.

The gray hose is hooked to the black tank flush in the photo. We did include an extra check-valve on each line behind the faucet.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed wet bay valve.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	325600  
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I was thinking of tapping in somewhere at the wet bay also. Replacing the shower head is a clever idea. Or if you use the outdoor shower there is plenty of plumbing lines right behind there that you could put a 'T' connector in and run a line to a faucet.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes.....many of us dumped the faucet and did like above or just added two spigots. I bought the style you see at Lowes in the plumbing department. By having the large diameter base, I could secure the to the shower OEM cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_223510.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	325603
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks again Dutch Star Don! Your setup looks like the perfect solution for me (my configuration is the same in my wet bay).

Couple follow-up questions:

1) Any more details to offer as to precisely what you used to make the mod to switch from the outdoor shower hookup to the two faucets? Materials/equipment purchased; procedure to modify remove/modify/reinstall existing equipment to achieve the setup you've pictured?

2) Are you aware of any issues with using a small/modest electric pressure washer fed by on-board water pump/fresh tank to do some modest washing of RV and/or toad? Any specific "gallons-per-minutes" limits to look for in the pressure washer, to not exceed the supply capability of the on-board plumbing/pump? Recommendations for a specific brand/model of pressure washer?

Thanks again for the community's help!

Tom
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When you remove that shower head cover, there are two hoses attached to the back. If I recall, they attached right to those valves. I used two small screws, nuts and washers to secure the new valves to the plastic cover.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don: do the valves you have allow for a slow stream, or do they give a high pressure stream?

I have a set of washer valves that are meant for fully open or fully closed. I think this means they use a ball valve instead of a typical faucet valve.
It makes filling a container very hard due to the lack of being able to trickle the water flow.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Don: do the valves you have allow for a slow stream, or do they give a high pressure stream?

I have a set of washer valves that are meant for fully open or fully closed. I think this means they use a ball valve instead of a typical faucet valve.
It makes filling a container very hard due to the lack of being able to trickle the water flow.
Just using the valve with no hose on it, it's a pretty high pressure stream, with my water pump, that is only slightly adjustable.

With that said, I use a connected hose when I use them, making them a little more controllable, especially with a nozzle on the hose.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Here's a picture of a pair of washer valves. Similar to Don's hose bib but actually easier to install. Remove the molded plastic with the hose / faucet and unscrew the fittings behind and remove replace existing faucet with new valves... retaining nut on backside. Reattach H & C supply - screw directly on the new valves... replace the housing with new valves...DONE
Add quick hose connectors to allow short / long hoses to be easily attached. You can add a shower or multi nozzle if you want/ use the outdoor shower.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190314_075924.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	325716
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to TJ and Winemaker2 as well for the suggestions/illustrations. I think I have my answer on the faucet config/location, and will tackle that job at the next opportunity.

Meanwhile, is there a recommendation on a particular "appropriate" electric pressure washer that would be adequate for doing a quick wash of the RV, and wouldn't overly tax the ability of the on-board water pump to supply the requisite volume of water? What are other folks out there using?

Thanks to all!

Tom
Old 04-21-2021, 04:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Outside Faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Would replacing the hand shower in the wet bay with a real faucet meet your needs? Here’s how we did it.

The gray hose is hooked to the black tank flush in the photo. We did include an extra check-valve on each line behind the faucet.

TJ
Do you have a vendor/resource for that outside faucet?? Looks like a perfect fit.

Thank you.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:10 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
Thanks to TJ and Winemaker2 as well for the suggestions/illustrations. I think I have my answer on the faucet config/location, and will tackle that job at the next opportunity.

Meanwhile, is there a recommendation on a particular "appropriate" electric pressure washer that would be adequate for doing a quick wash of the RV, and wouldn't overly tax the ability of the on-board water pump to supply the requisite volume of water? What are other folks out there using?

Thanks to all!

Tom
I bought and use this one from Lowes. It's an electric Greenworks. It's quiet, and has enough power for washing. I plug it into the outlet in the 3/4 bay and slide it under the motor home a few inches while I wash.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-...her/5001886015
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Here's a picture of a pair of washer valves. Similar to Don's hose bib but actually easier to install. Remove the molded plastic with the hose / faucet and unscrew the fittings behind and remove replace existing faucet with new valves... retaining nut on backside. Reattach H & C supply - screw directly on the new valves... replace the housing with new valves...DONE
Add quick hose connectors to allow short / long hoses to be easily attached. You can add a shower or multi nozzle if you want/ use the outdoor shower.Attachment 325716
I am going to have to do this. I've never used my existing shower for anything...

I was camping up on a Lake in Georgia... There were only Water/Electric near the water..No Sewer. Most folks just want to rinse the lake off when they come in for the day. I noticed some ingenious campers had constructed an outdoor shower next to their rvs where the outdoor showers were located. Hmmm...not dragging the BlueTote-a-long to the dump station everyday was their bonus.

I think I could make a little collapsible outdoor shower, with a real shower inside...and just run two quick connect hoses over to the wet bay. Bingo. Outdoor showers...hot and cold...and not having to continuously make journeys to dump our grey water...even though taking super short combat showers. I really like the idea for warm weather camping, as allowed... I'm sure many c.g. wouldn't permit outdoor showers. But the COE didn't seem to mind it.

Tags
water