RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Adding freon to dash air without compressor running

If the dash air conditioner has lost enough fluid that the compressor isn't running can a person still add freon from a can? I've done it several times when the compressor is running but never if the freon was so low the compressor wouldn't run.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

Yes, of course. The danger is that if you dump TOO much in, it will be liquid and when the compressor starts it will try to compress the liquid, probably breaking the compressor.

That said, if the charge is really low you can dump a couple of cans in with no problem. A better choice might be to install one can, start the engine and let the compressor kick in when it's ready while you are adding the second can. If that's a DP, the hoses will need a lot of refrigerant to fill it, so it will take some time.

Ours leaks down in about a month, so I just refill it often. Repairing the leak will cost several hundred bucks, so I'm putting it off.

Just be careful and it should be fine.

HTH

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is possible to start the compressor by jumping the low pressure cut out switch. A google search was helpfully when I was faced with this same situation.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #4

The compressor will come on when you put enough charge in the lines as long as everything in the system is working correctly.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allan.....You know I do a lot of my own repairs, but the one thing I don't have the skills or tools to work on is the chassis A/C. I don't think I would add the Freon like you plan. Here's why......in the old days, the A/C units had an oil reservoir to lubricate the system. The modern day units use less oil and circulate it with the Freon. If you loss both oil and Freon and then just replace the Freon, you can damage the entire unit.

Personally, I would take it to a professional to evacuate and recharge the system and check for leaks......that's what I did when mine loss Freon. I eventually found my leak, a bad o-ring on the hose that attaches to the condenser, below the side radiator.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
The compressor will come on when you put enough charge in the lines as long as everything in the system is working correctly.
This what I have done several times over the years, and as recently as yesterday in my Chevy Blazer. Start the engine, turn the AC on MAX, connect the the can of refrigerant, open the valve on the can, and when enough refrigerant gets into the system, the compressor will run for a short time. As more refrigerant gets into the system, the longer the compressor will run between shut offs, and eventually the compressor will run constantly.

If there is not enough refrigerant in the system to start the compressor, you should be able to safely add the max amount of refrigerant the system is designed for, which should be written somewhere on the AC system.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Allan.....You know I do a lot of my own repairs, but the one thing I don't have the skills or tools to work on is the chassis A/C. I don't think I would add the Freon like you plan. Here's why......in the old days, the A/C units had an oil reservoir to lubricate the system. The modern day units use less oil and circulate it with the Freon. If you loss both oil and Freon and then just replace the Freon, you can damage the entire unit.

Personally, I would take it to a professional to evacuate and recharge the system and check for leaks......that's what I did when mine loss Freon. I eventually found my leak, a bad o-ring on the hose that attaches to the condenser, below the side radiator.
I agree and you have a new coach, why do you think you have a freon problem, it could be this problem if warm air is coming out of your vents.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #8

Freightliner fixed the dash AC early last year and stated it only had about 1/3 the amount of freon, blaming it on the factory for not installing enough freon to begin with. And after charging the system they didn't find any leaks.
Now the start of this summer the AC is putting out ambient temperature air and the compressor doesn't run. I wasn't able to arrange my schedule and the shop's schedule 90 miles away so I just used the roof airs for our 2 summer trips. Should have added a can or two at that time but just kept thinking I would be able to get to the shop. Now that summer is over no use driving the 90 miles to the shop since the freon would just leak out over the winter, assuming they still won't be able to find the leak.

Since my previous DP needed a can of freon added every year I figure this is just another Freightliner goof on my 2015 Dutch Star.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Since my previous DP needed a can of freon added every year I figure this is just another Freightliner goof on my 2015 Dutch Star.
Still seeking confirmation but I don't think FreightLiner ships the chassis with a complete intact dash air conditioning system. Based on my paper work the Evans unit is supplied by Newmar. So it would appear that the dash AC unit is hooked up and charged during assembly of the coach. I would guess the chassis is shipped with the compressor and supply lines to the front of the chassis for the connection to the Evans unit.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Still seeking confirmation but I don't think FreightLiner ships the chassis with a complete intact dash air conditioning system. Based on my paper work the Evans unit is supplied by Newmar. So it would appear that the dash AC unit is hooked up and charged during assembly of the coach. I would guess the chassis is shipped with the compressor and supply lines to the front of the chassis for the connection to the Evans unit.
Some one is pulling your leg Wagonmaster2 never had to add any freon on any of my Newmars with different chassis's and agree with previous post.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allan.....take a few minutes and see if you have a leak in the same place as I did. The A/C condenser is located directly under the radiator. If you look through the louvered door, you'll see what appears to be a seam running horizontally about four inches up from the bottom of the radiator. That lower four inches is actually the A/C condenser.

At the front edge of the condenser, just behind the tag axle tire, two A/C lines run into the condenser. One above the other. They have slit corrugated plastic wrap covering/protecting the A/C lines. You can easily lay on your side and see the lines. I pulled back the slit plastic cover and one was all "muddy". "Muddy" is a term used for leaking A/C where the Freon, oil and dirt mix.

I found my leak because I figured it had to be at one of the hose connections. I suspected the odds of a broken/cut hose within the frame was pretty low. I looked at the fittings up front, those at the compressor and was left with just the condenser.

Having your A/C give out in a California summer is tough. I was ecstatic to find the leak. Luckily, Freightliner recharged it the first time for free. The second time, a buddy that owns a shop, charged me $100.00 to recharge it the morning we were leaving on a three week trip. Once I found the leak, Freightliner charged me $400.00 for the repair, evacuate and recharge.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Allan.....take a few minutes and see if you have a leak in the same place as I did. The A/C condenser is located directly under the radiator. If you look through the louvered door, you'll see what appears to be a seam running horizontally about four inches up from the bottom of the radiator. That lower four inches is actually the A/C condenser.

At the front edge of the condenser, just behind the tag axle tire, two A/C lines run into the condenser. One above the other. They have slit corrugated plastic wrap covering/protecting the A/C lines. You can easily lay on your side and see the lines. I pulled back the slit plastic cover and one was all "muddy". "Muddy" is a term used for leaking A/C where the Freon, oil and dirt mix.

I found my leak because I figured it had to be at one of the hose connections. I suspected the odds of a broken/cut hose within the frame was pretty low. I looked at the fittings up front, those at the compressor and was left with just the condenser.

Having your A/C give out in a California summer is tough. I was ecstatic to find the leak. Luckily, Freightliner recharged it the first time for free. The second time, a buddy that owns a shop, charged me $100.00 to recharge it the morning we were leaving on a three week trip. Once I found the leak, Freightliner charged me $400.00 for the repair, evacuate and recharge.
I too have dash AC issues. It's been back to the dealer a few times and it usually runs about 6 months or so before the cooling quits. I'll crawl under and see if I might have a leak in the same area. I have an extended service plan, so when I get a few things that need attention I take it in and have them do the AC too. I have a $100 deductible which covers all repairs, hence the reason to bundle them together. .
Old 11-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3918945]I agree and you have a new coach, why do you think you have a freon problem, it could be [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-dash-air-for-2013-a-163596.html#post1592242
this problem[/URL][/B] if warm air is coming out of your vents.
With DS Don's find, I wonder what kind of FL service you are getting from them, you can spend a lot of money just refilling a actual leak.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #14

WagonMaster, Have them check the compressor it self along with the liquid line fittings going to the condenser coil at the rear of the coach near the radiator. Mine went on for over a year and the compressor was leaking internally and was located at Newmar and then replaced by Freightliner under warranty.

David D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, dash, dash air