Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #1

adding h2o to fresh tank w/out water hose

Am camping out of reach of water spigot. Is there a valve setting that would allow me to use the water pump to suck water out of a 5 gal container into the fresh tank?
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
Am camping out of reach of water spigot. Is there a valve setting that would allow me to use the water pump to suck water out of a 5 gal container into the fresh tank?
litespeed
If you have a "gravity fill", (many coaches don't), you can simply pour the water into the tank.

If your coach has no "gravity fill" a RV "antifreeze fill kit" works for sucking water out of a 5 gal container into the fresh tank: http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pu.../dp/B0006JJ588

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
You should have a clear plastic hose on the suction side of the pump to pump anti freeze for winterizing your coach.
Put this hose into the bucket, make sure the valve on this hose is open to to suction and discharge then open the fresh water fill valve (all other house valves closed) and the pump should start and draw water from the bucket to the fresh water tank. You may have to extend the clear hose as I doubt it will reach into a 5 gal bucket.
When you get back to civilization, I would suggest cleaning the tank with bleach as described in your owners manual.
Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Just as Dennis said, you should be able to use the winterization hose to fill with. I have done this for years now when boondocking!

Just make sure the hose is clean before using.
They can get dirty in the compartment.
I remove mine when not using it for this very reason.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
Just as Dennis said, you should be able to use the winterization hose to fill with. I have done this for years now when boondocking.
It should be noted that not all coaches have a "winterizing hose", (but an a aftermarket "winterizing kit" can be installed on any coach.
Mel
96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on your RV, some do, some do not, Mine, is in the "Do Not" group.

You can get a low cost transfer pump that is drinking water rated. I used to have one long time ago.

Or you can use a foot operated "Galley pump" hold on for a link.
Link it to a manual for one such pump... There are many others.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/sit...galley_Mk3.pdf
Old 09-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all New mars have an OEM winterizing kit installed.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

I'm a little confused. If I have the suction side of the pump, normally pulling water from the tank, but now connected and pulling from the bucket of fresh water, how does water get back into the fresh water tank? Plus, what would keep the tank water from running back out the now disconnected feed tube?
When I winterized my previous coach the pump never put antifreeze in the tank, only to the faucets, toilets, and shower.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

adding h2o to fresh tank w/out water hose

I believe Selah is correct. The winterizing system should only be feeding from the 5 gallon bucket to the faucets etc, bypassing the storage tank.
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

Selah, the pump will draw water from the suction side of the pump and discharge to wherever there is an open tap. If all taps are closed except the one for the fresh water fill, guess where it will go.
There is two suction points. One is out of the bottom of the fresh water tank. This one must be closed. The second one is the clear plastic hose used for winterizing. This one needs to be open to allow the pump to draw from your bucket.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Selah, the pump will draw water from the suction side of the pump and discharge to wherever there is an open tap. If all taps are closed except the one for the fresh water fill, guess where it will go.
There is two suction points. One is out of the bottom of the fresh water tank. This one must be closed. The second one is the clear plastic hose used for winterizing. This one needs to be open to allow the pump to draw from your bucket.

Correct information here.

Just turn the valve to put the water into the fresh water tank. You can hear it going to the tank.

It does this because you need to winterize your tank too! Not just the faucets or shower.

One way it goes to the faucets and the other was to the tank.

I do this all the time when boondocking with my Newmar.

Just be sure to put the valve to the neutral position when done!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I all ways thought that the fresh water tank valve had to be closed in order for the pump to suck water up your winterizing hose. If that's the case how does water coming up the winterizing hose get into the fresh water tank with its fresh water tank valve closed?
Also its not necessary to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank as its not necessary to put into a ice maker in fridge.
Tank and ice maker should be drained dry.
Its early but you all might as well put this link in your files will be needing in a few months.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When in an Owner's forum, to minimize confusion, it may be best to leave the thread to other owners of that Brand. For many questions, specific knowledge of that brand is needed to provide accurate information.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

007, I have a confession to make. I don't winterize this coach because I have a heated shop now. But with that said, I still believe that it is good to run a little antifreeze into the tank to make sure that the suction line is protected.
I just mention this because a friend of mine ran the antifreeze just to the faucets and shower and in the spring when he went to get the coach going the suction hose fitting by the pump was cracked

Tags
tank, water