Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Adding Radio Speakers

I searched but didn't find a thread like this, so here is my question:

I want to replace the Jensen radio in my 2007 DSDP 4307. As part of the replacement, I want to add speakers so that I can actually hear the radio when driving. As it is, all the sound comes through the speakers on each side of the TV. I have to really crank the volume to hear from the driver's seat; the sound level is then way too loud for the passenger.

I'm thinking of having a speaker added to the right side of the driver's footwell, and the left side of the passenger's footwell, so the sound will come up to the listener.

Has anyone done this? Or, do you have another suggestion for solving the poor sound quality problem from the radio? BTW, the radio won't play through any other speakers, right?
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I would give Crutchfield a call Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras They are very helpful and may even have a mold to house your speaker idea. I see no reason why you could not replace your stock set-up & speakers with new ones. I replaced 4 of mine with Infinity (part of Harmon) brand and I'm very pleased. I kept the stock radio.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

I'm really interested in what you replace the system with - I have the same coach as you and I have been thinking of replacing the radio and front speakers as well. I think we're somewhat limited since the radio is a 1.5 DIN and there isn't much available for us to replace it with.

I think it would be quite easy to add speakers in the manner that you are suggesting.

Joe
2007 DSDP 4307
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe,

Crutchfield (no I don't work for them!) has trim plates that will take a 1.5 or 2 DIN down to a 1 DIN. Best Buy sells them as well but the choices are limited and service?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy
Joe,

Crutchfield (no I don't work for them!) has trim plates that will take a 1.5 or 2 DIN down to a 1 DIN. Best Buy sells them as well but the choices are limited and service?
Yes - I want to go to 2.0 din which complicates this for me
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Are you aware that all AM/FM/CD players have a BALANCE (Left to Right) and a FADE (Front to Back) speaker control. In your case you can lower the volume on the right speakers and raise the volume on the left with the BALANCE control.

As stated, adding speakers to an existing system is no problem. It can be as easy as just tying in the new speaker wiring to the existing speakers. However, you may have equipment that makes it easier... so it depends on what your current installation consists of.

It may be helpful to check out this other thread where we have been discussing a similiar topic: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tv-s...tml#post889032
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the ideas.
I am aware of the balance and fade controls, and have adjusted those. I think the problem is more that the sound from the speakers is over and in back of our ears. I'd like to get speakers down closer to ear level when seated.

Also, I guess I just don't like the Jensen interface. Lots of small buttons. I'm going to try and find a more retro front panel. Probably won't be able to, but I'll give it a go.

I'll let everyone know what I do. I'm going to a car audio dealer here in Nashville over the weekend to see what they recommend.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do agree the speaker placement in motor homes SUCKS I mean big time.

Alas, I can't much help you with placement or anything else.

I would take a look at surface mount speakers though.. NOTE: on my coach the radio feeds an amplifier, 150 watt.. Make sure your speakers can take what's driving them.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
...I just don't like the Jensen interface. Lots of small buttons. I'm going to try and find a more retro front panel. Probably won't be able to, but I'll give it a go.
I know what you mean about small buttons and hard to see labels. I looked, and looked for a "real" radio interface like the factory model in my Tahoe. But I could not find anything that can easily operated when driving... makes me mad that they are not considering the safety aspect of manipulating a radio while driving (for after market radios). The best I could do is get one with a remote control. Using a remote control helps a little, at least you can hold it in your hand and in front of your face, which should be on the road...

The double DIN's may be an option for those that have that large opening in the dash, but I don't, and don't have the space in the dash to add one.

Surface mount speaker boxes would be a possibility for your application, and there should be room on the kick panel, center console, or on the fire wall for mounting.

Good Luck, and post some pictures if you come up with a good solution.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #10

Hi Bob,

We did this very thing about 3 years years back. Got tired of listening to the pathetic little 2 or 3 inch speakers that had horrible sound. I searched for automobile speakers that had full range and at the time the only ones I could find were by Panasonic.

We mounted them on the ends of the Lamberquins over the passenger & driver seats. They are hardly noticable where they are located, but have great sound. We have SIRIUS radio that we listen to often when parked and they provide a great sound out of the radio speakers. You can see what we did by going to Modifications, Additions & Upgrades and going down to "New Radio Speakers". I can't remember the cost, but it was minimal for such good sound. Maybe $70 or $80 or so.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you go to the Quick Tips & Mod link item #2 you will see how speakers can be added in your coach.
In this picture you can see a original picture of a speaker for radio system, right hand side of cabinet, which I changed out to a AR INC speaker 6x9 for a much improved sound.
You can add speakers where ever you want just have to find out how you will route wires.

The 5.1 surround system can be wired though a AUX box supplied with Sony radio.
It works off inverter OUTLET used for the TV -VCR.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

Donna - thanks for the link. I'm not sure that your design will solve my problem. I believe the majority of my problem is that the speakers are behind and above my head. I'm going to try some down low, probably on/in the firewall or the area below and to the left of the glove box. I'll post photos so everyone can see. Hope to have it done within a couple of weeks. I'm mostly concerned about clear, easy to hear spoken words when we listen to a audio book.

Tags
radio