Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Addition 12V/120V outlets?

I'm close to ordering a new Ventana. Has anyone wished they had asked for additional outlets? Where and why? Thanks for the help!
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Haven’t heard too many on here ask for additional 110v, but I have read folks asking for additional USB charging ports to handle all the phones, tablets, etc. There are those that want or need 110v around the bed (connected to an inverter) to support a CPAP machine.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would have added another 110 volt outlet to the storage bays. There is one on the passenger side, but the one on the driver's side is used for electronics that Newmar installed. It would be nice to have one on each side that is not dedicated to anything, but as a spare.

I'm not a fan of wires running all over the dash or plugged into USB ports, 110 volt outlets or 12 volt plugs. With the new dashes having lift off tops, I ran my own plugs that included two 12 volt plugs (always powered) one 12 volt plug (powered when ignition is on) and one double USB port (powered when the ignition is on) just under the lift off top. If you could add something like the above as a special and keep it hidden under the dash, I think that would be handy. Three of the items I powered with the above plugs all mounted to the left of the dash. On the side of the dash, I drilled a 1/2" hole and fed all the wiring under the dash via the hole.

Lastly, not electrical related.....towel bars! They install one towel bar and a wall hook. I guess they figure most RV owners are single and store there hat in the bath.

If I were to order again, I would have them NOT install the towel bar, order a second one and have them leave both in a cabinet. My coach had room for two towel bars, one high and one low, but instead, they installed one right in the middle. I had to remove the original one, cover the marks on the wall and order a second one from parts, so I could have two towel racks and allow my wife to shower too!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

Not sure which floorplan your looking at, but we had a 110V outlet added inside the pantry and use one of the sliding drawers for the coffee maker. It worked out good for us.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We asked for both when we ordered the new coach. Had an additional 120VAC added in the dinette area for our coffee maker. Added a couple of additional 12VDC outlets in the front dash and another in the living room. And, added several USB outlets scattered throughout the coach.

I suggest putting extra power outlets of whatever voltage you think you might need in the locations you think you might need it. Michelle at Newmar can help you with where the standard outlets are located so you can determine where and what kind you may want to add.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Before we ordered our coach, I had read that inverters sometimes didn’t play well with space heaters. So as a special, I ordered a dedicated 20amp, non inverted outlet for our bedroom. We plug our space heater into this outlet when on shore power. The ol’ bean counter in me says that I already paid for this electricity when registering at the campground. No need to burn my propane. We don’t use this space heater however when it is freezing outside. In that case we use our coach furnace in order to send some heat to the plumbing.

I’ve sometimes needed 110v on the drivers side (as DSD points out). I agree that it would be handy to have an inverted plug there. Sorry that I didn’t think of that before the build. When at a CG with shore power, many pedestals have a 15a or 20a 110v outlet in them. I can source 110v from there. If one is not present in pedestal (or it is not active), I plug into the engine block heater outlet in my power bay.

Like others, I added some 12v/USB outlets to minimize wires running around the dash area.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #7

Has anyone switched out any of their 110v outlets for the kind that have built in USB outlets? I saw some of those at Home Depot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	231646
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #8

I would get your RV first and use it for awhile before adding extra outlets. I have added 5 110V plugs into our fifth wheel during our last 6 years of full timing and it is not any more difficult than adding plugs to a built house. Any electrician should be able to add a plug to your RV after it's built.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Has anyone switched out any of their 110v outlets for the kind that have built in USB outlets? I saw some of those at Home Depot.
Attachment 231646
I don't know about the Home Depot outlets but Newmar put those type of outlets in our RV and they work great. Use them all the time for charging phones, iPads, and watch.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
I'm close to ordering a new Ventana. Has anyone wished they had asked for additional outlets? Where and why? Thanks for the help!
oh, yeah. we had a bunch if 120, 12 and USB outlets put in after delivery. you can never have too many outlets.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:30 AM   #11

We had an extra outlet added next to the existing one for our basement freezer, this is for the traeger grill, we had extra outlets behind the recliners for the Sonos surround speakers,
an extra outlet in the bottom of our shelf converted right side bedroom wardrobe for an iron.

I wish we had an outlet added in the front.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have "added" some of the USB/AC outlets to my coach. However, do not interpret "added" for "replacing" current outlets. The USB outlets generally won't fit into the existing boxes.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #13

We chose to skip the extra TV over the dash. Instead, we had connections for our own smaller TV added to the buffet/dining table where we connect a smaller TV. We gained a storage compartment over the dash where the TV would have been. Wish we had had Newmar add an outlet in there during the build. We had a 110/usb added after the fact, and we use it to power a security camera. We just plug the camera in and leave the cabinet door open, and we have a great shot down the length of the coach.

We also had outlets added at the floor level on either side of the toilet in the main bathroom. We use those to plug in our wader/boot dryers.

We added extra outlets in the basement bays on both sides of the coach. We use them a lot.

We had an extra outlet installed in the bedroom under the cabinet between the two shirt closets. I now wish we had had a light installed there, instead.

Susan
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Additional outlets are always great to have.

- Forward most bay on passenger side
- Electrical bay on driver's side (cord reel bay)
- One in each of the overhead storage compartments, i.e. one in left and one in right
- One on floor board area in bedroom near shower access panel (C.Martin just added one here) for oscillating heater/cooler, etc.
- One in aft closet opposing washer/dryer (depends on floor plan) for portable vacuum (Dyson) charging, etc.
- One in over bed storage compartment
- Under kitchen sink
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote