Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

Adjust Villa recliner

We bought a new 2019 London Aire last week. Loving the coach, but I have a question. The 2 Villa recliners need to be stiffened up in the recliner mechanism. Other brands we've owned had a screw or wingnut that could be tightened to make the adjustment. I haven't found anything under these like that. Anyone else dealt with this?
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2020, 04:26 AM   #2

The recliners in our 2019 LA won’t stay reclined unless you keep exerting pressure on the seat back. I hope that you find a solution for your issue and it works for us.
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some recliners just have bad geometry. Designed poorly. I have two Villas in my 2014 MA and they are awesome. I have a Lazyboy in one room of the house and it is awesome. However I have another, the most expensive, is a pc of crap. Won’t stay reclined and if I force it, all I can see is the ceiling.

Villa must have changed the design.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #4

We took our recliners to Lambright Comfort Chair and had them converted to power recliners. One of the best mods I’ve done.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
We have the same issue not being able to recline.. (at least my wife, I'm heavy enough ) I like to ask where is Lambright, and did you just take the coach, or did you have to remove the recliners to deliver?
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
The recliners in our 2019 LA won’t stay reclined unless you keep exerting pressure on the seat back. I hope that you find a solution for your issue and it works for us.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

My wife had the same problem.
Lambright is about 20 minutes from Nappanee

Lambright Comfort Chairs LLC
1150 S 700 W, Topeka, IN 46571

I was in Nappanee for service the Newmar tech removed the chair backs and loaded the bases in my Jeep and I took them over to Vernon at Lambright they delivered them back to Newmar in a couple of days.
I had them remove the swivel base and opted for fixed base I think it’s easier especially on the FWS vinyl strip
Old 03-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Adjust Villa recliner

I think that this is due to the shorter back design that changed in model year 2019, previous years had tall backs like you would find at home.
Getting your butt as close to the back helps
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
GKU

Had the same problem in our 2019 MA. Recliners were very uncomfortable, so we bit the bullet and purchased Theater seating. Problem solved and they are wonderful.

George & Kathy
2019 Mountain Aire 4551
2018 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We bought a power recliner sofa from Lambright and it solved the problem. You can stop the reclined back in any position and it will stay precisely where you stopped it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

To followup on my recliner issue. I sent an email to Villa describing my problem. Someone responded pretty quickly and arranged to send me a "spring kit" for each recliner. We got home on Monday and they arrived from California on Weds. I installed them yesterday and am happy to report that the chairs are much better about staying reclined ! There are two springs per chair and require one bolt and 3 nuts per spring. I found the instructions to be a little sparse but the photos included in the email were very helpful. They sent way too many bolts and not enough nuts, but I had the correct size on hand. After learning how on the first one, the rest went pretty quickly. I did it without removing the chair backs, and if you recline the back before starting it is much easier as you don't have to stretch the springs so much. We haven't spent any significant seat time in them yet, but I'm very optimistic. Contact Villa and ask for the spring kit if you're having the same issue.
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #12

We have a set of theater seats that did not stay reclined. I reported this to North Trail when our took the coach in for warranty work. They said that nothing was wrong with them. I knew that there was and after we got it back from them with the problem not addressed I asked how they tested them. Did they run a slide out before sitting down because there is not room to recline unless you do. After several calls and emails with no answer about how they tested I got pissed. But that did no good except get me a response from our service writer that I was bullying her. I said that all I wanted was an answer to my question. She replied that none of the techs would tell her what they did to test.

A few weeks later a part came in that was ordered during our first warranty visit so I took the coach down for it to be installed. The service person was avoiding me so I found the service manager and asked him how they tested my recliners. He said he would check and disappeared.

A while later when I was walking around the service bays and saw my coach with a front slide out, I walked over to see what was going on because I knew that the replacement part that I was getting that day did not require a slide to be moved.

I looked inside the coach and saw a tech sitting in one of the recliners and asked what was going on? He said that he had been told by the service manager to adjust the tension which he did not know how to do. So he called the manufacturer of the seats and they told him...

...that the springs underneath were attached to small holes in the metal bars and to move the springs to holes that put less tension on them (or more...can't remember). Very hard to stretch them, he said. That fixed our problem.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the "power" Theater Seating in our Canyon Star! And LOVE them!

Started out, we were going to order recliners.....BUT....TWO ISSUES!

First, my DW is about 5'5", and sitting back in it, her feet would not touch the floor. Me at 5'9", my feet would touch, but not flat footed! That would never work for us!

Second, the "LEVER" for the reclining mechanism was so sloppy in its' attachment that it took a lot of pressure to get it to move. And in the upright position, it (the lever) would wobble around as if it were broken. A tech at the Dealer, said they were all like that! DEAL BREAKER for us!

We are so glad we have the theater seating! Comfortable, easy to operate, has a storage compartment for the myriad of remotes, usb charging port too!

It is sad to me that such a fine coach as Newmar, would even entertain installing such a shoddy built piece of furniture!

Moral of the story....had we not sat in both & tried them out prior to ordering, we would have never known, & then would be very unhappy owners! Try before you buy!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thumbs up

I also contacted Villa for the "Spring Kit" and they immediately said they would send one out. No Charge! Got them installed today, and it does make a difference. This should have been the standard...
Thanks, jbstok!
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recliner