Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This is the one I've used for years. I know it's a popular model. I set mine at 65psi. Unfortunately, I guess supply chain issues have caused the price to soar. They used to be about $100 less.
With all due respect to the RV Water Filter Store— a very good organization with stellar customer service— $220 for an adj pressure regulator of this type strikes me as really high. Maybe the “dry gauge” has something to do with it.
Watts seems to be marketing most of their units now sans gauge. You can get several Watts models online in the $60 - $70 and up range. I’ve had a Valterra model (with gauge) for about 5-7 years now. No problems. These Valterra are available online in the $50 or so range. I’ve also added another gauge before my regulator, so I can observe at a glance both park pressure and coach pressure.
I have not tried any of the many cheaper look-a-like models in the $30-$35 dollar range.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2022, 05:16 AM   #16

Quote:
This is the one I've used for years. I know it's a popular model. I set mine at 65psi. Unfortunately, I guess supply chain issues have caused the price to soar. They used to be about $100 less.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...-lf-with-gauge

Curious as to why dry gauge vs liquid filled
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've had one fail as well <12 mo old. Prolly cause i let it bounce around in the water bay connected to the hose reel.

For $30, I keep a spare with my extra water filter etc.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I have one of the off brand Amazon adjustable versions installed also. Liquid filled gauge been working fine for past 7 years.

We usually have about 1 park a year where they warn you about very high water pressure at the park. Some even loan out regulators.
Since I never check pressure at spigot not sure how high but they did warn about 100+ pounds at one location.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
I see typical pressures at campgrounds at about 35 - 45 psi, even at my house. I set mine at 65 psi as it's close to what my VSP pump can do, (I think it's 55psi). It's really just an arbitrary number in the ballpark. My regulator is primarily there for those few times that the campground has some outrageous pressure. Usually, it's stated when you check in.
Yep, Mountain Valley RV Resort in Heber City, Utah comes to mind. It's a great park - one of our absolute favorites - but they have some SERIOUS water pressure! I don't know specifically what it is, but would confidently bet it's north of 100 PSI.

And yes, they do warn you when you check in and are happy to sell you a regulator if you don't have one.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #20

My adjustable regulator is getting really iffy. I’m considering going back to a non adjustable model or even skipping it altogether. As others have posted I’ve never had a problem with too much pressure at any park we’ve stayed at (as far as I know since I typically use a regulator!). Likely I’ll purchase a compact non adjustable model and not use it until/unless I experience an over pressure issue. Obviously there’s no concern about low pressure since in that case I’d just use the supply to fill my tank while I use my pump.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
With all due respect to the RV Water Filter Store— a very good organization with stellar customer service— $220 for an adj pressure regulator of this type strikes me as really high. Maybe the “dry gauge” has something to do with it.
Watts seems to be marketing most of their units now sans gauge. You can get several Watts models online in the $60 - $70 and up range. I’ve had a Valterra model (with gauge) for about 5-7 years now. No problems. These Valterra are available online in the $50 or so range. I’ve also added another gauge before my regulator, so I can observe at a glance both park pressure and coach pressure.
I have not tried any of the many cheaper look-a-like models in the $30-$35 dollar range.
I didn't say they had to buy that gauge and I also noted that it was very expensive. I think the last time I bought one it was about $139.00. And yes, you can buy other brands, I just stated that this was the brand I use and has never been an issue. If you like Valterra and it works for you that's great. They can choose to buy yours one like mine, I didn't put any pressure on anyone to buy a certain gauge, I just linked to the store as a starting point. On something like this with such a high price, I find the model I like and then check about a dozen sources for the best price.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post

Curious as to why dry gauge vs liquid filled
In all honesty.....I really only use the gauge once.....I install the regulator and when I find some place with more than 65 psi, I set the gauge. After that, I never look at it again.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you buy one of the cheapies you can increase flow and remain 50 or under by just drilling out the intake side, hole to 3/8.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i use a WATTS whole house regulator from lowes

its been worry free for almost 10 years now.

its all brass, big and robust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water regulator3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	361104  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't say they had to buy that gauge and I also noted that it was very expensive…………… .
Don, I think you misunderstood my intent. My comment concerned the store’s pricing, not your choice. If I misstated somehow, I apologize.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:10 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Don, I think you misunderstood my intent. My comment concerned the store’s pricing, not your choice. If I misstated somehow, I apologize.
No problem....I thought their prices were way out of whack too! If I had to buy one now, I would have to think twice about that price. It's getting old fast that we're getting charged almost double the price on everything. Someone is making an increased profit on some of this stuff as a lot was already in their inventory.

we jsut got back from Lowes and ordered two windows. They were $1150 and about have that price a year or so ago. Even worse, the manufacturer, Milgard, is less than a mile from the store and there's a 40-60 day wait.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #27

I also use this
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...-lf-with-gauge but I place it after there stages of filtration. I have lost a few cheap ones from build up, being hooked directly to the spigot. Placing it post filtration should help prolong life. Plus these are rebuildable.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #28

I use to use a Watts Adjustable that was rebulidable also

NOW.......fresh water tank/pump exclusively

No worries about High Campground supply pressures, no exposed hoses/hot hoses from sun, pump provides consistent pressure/flow, easy to just flip the switch off at night/when leaving--going outside, and if pump shirt cycles then you know you have a leak somewhere//easy heads up.

Yep....pump no need for regulator
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator, water, water pressure