Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies and help guys……the job is done!!!!!
I actually thought the ride height was a little bit too low and that’s why I was having the issue with the bottom bolt for the shock, but turns out I’m only an 1/8 inch low and that would not be enough to make a difference on that bolt.

For anyone with the Spartan IFS1200….. The front shocks can be changed without disconnecting any steering/drag links. What I did was put more wood under the leveling jacks and lifted the entire front end off my wooden ramps…..I then put a 20 ton hydraulic jack in the center of the coach for my safety backup….if both jacks had failed I still had my 6” wooden ramps so I would have only been partially smashed, Lol

I was then able to turn the wheels each direction fully to the stops, I had previously tried this just using the steering wheel with a little weight still on the tires but it did not allow enough clearance.

With the wheels turned to the stops there is barely and I mean barely enough clearance to get that bottom bolt out but it worked.

It takes a 1 1/8” wrench with a 4 foot cheater pipe to break those bolts loose because I think the spec was 190 foot pounds so they are very tight.

The test drive with the new Koni shocks front and back, new coolant, new coolant hoses, new serpentine belt was all OK!!!!

There was a definite improvement in the ride and I purposely took some rough roads.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 04:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
It listed as Outer Tie Rod Assembly #11 in drawing page 3, and they are tapered.
Thanks for the correction.

Have never worked on one of the IFS's. Looks a LOT more complex than solid front axle.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:27 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you got it fixed. I think after you take it on a long drive, you'll find those Koni's are quite an improvement. One thing they eliminate is the chatter of the front shades.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #18

Tie rods tie the two front wheels together. It may be a single piece, or multiple pieces.
Drag links extend from the arm on the steering gear box to the left front spindle. It also may be a single piece, or multiple pieces. The reason for multiple pieces here is usually to help cut down on "bump steer" that can be experienced when traveling on uneven roads.

Tags
ride, ride height