Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Adjusting slide "gaps" HELP!

The problem: Driver's side slide on my 2020 Canyon star 3710 has become slightly "out of square".

Top left corner is touching the outer frame, & has slightly pulled the little trim piece away, just enough so there is a slight separation of the sealant. The problem is there is no "gap" at the top left corner.

BUT, the top right corner has a 1/2" gap! This being the problem!
The SOLUTION appears to be moving the "top" of the slide 1/4" to the right, without affecting the fit of the rest of it!

Bottom left vertical corner of the slide has a 1/4" gap, as does the bottom right vertical corner have a 1/4" gap.

The gap across the bottom of the slide is a constant 1/4".

I have read different posts in "Tips & Tricks", used the "Search" function; read all 38 pages of the "slide-out" PDF, but cannot find information addressing & correcting this issue.

1/4" is not much, but in this case is causing the slide trim & the slide frame to rub, and may be a potential for future issues.

HELP!

Your guidance & recommendations are appreciated!

Oh, & I'm leaving for a 6,500 mile , 2 1/2 month trip and would like to have it fixed, prior to hitting the road!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
The problem: Driver's side slide on my 2020 Canyon star 3710 has become slightly "out of square".

Top left corner is touching the outer frame, & has slightly pulled the little trim piece away, just enough so there is a slight separation of the sealant. The problem is there is no "gap" at the top left corner.

BUT, the top right corner has a 1/2" gap! This being the problem!
The SOLUTION appears to be moving the "top" of the slide 1/4" to the right, without affecting the fit of the rest of it!

Bottom left vertical corner of the slide has a 1/4" gap, as does the bottom right vertical corner have a 1/4" gap.

The gap across the bottom of the slide is a constant 1/4".

I have read different posts in "Tips & Tricks", used the "Search" function; read all 38 pages of the "slide-out" PDF, but cannot find information addressing & correcting this issue.

1/4" is not much, but in this case is causing the slide trim & the slide frame to rub, and may be a potential for future issues.

HELP!

Your guidance & recommendations are appreciated!

Oh, & I'm leaving for a 6,500 mile , 2 1/2 month trip and would like to have it fixed, prior to hitting the road!
How many times have you run it in and out? They can move slightly depending on frame flex.

It looks like this is a smaller, electric slide, right? I spoke to Newmar about operating my electric slides after leveling versus when aired up, and they say it is OK (no full wall slide). I would try running yours out and in when after leveling if you are running them when aired up (or vice versa if that is what you normally do)

I've watched my slide "reveal" when the coach is leveling, and it is surprising how much it moves/changes during the process.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a similar problem with my full-wall slide during the first year. It was not only out of square with the opening, like yours, but also wasn't fully retracting on one end. Newmar walked me through the process of manually running the controller to fully retract the slide, and then to reprogram the DSC100. However, they said that the "out of square" problem wasn't something an owner could handle, and I'd have to take it to the dealer. I did so, and they got it better, but it is still not perfect. Hasn't gotten any worse in 2 years, though.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #4

This issue is normally caused by running the slide room on the jacks. Are the jacks down while you are using your rooms? If so, retract them and run the room a couple of time. Need pictures of your room to tell you where the adjustments are. They are usually where the arms attach the room underneath.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
This issue is normally caused by running the slide room on the jacks. Are the jacks down while you are using your rooms? If so, retract them and run the room a couple of time. Need pictures of your room to tell you where the adjustments are. They are usually where the arms attach the room underneath.
Send Bobby photos and follow his recommendations
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Interested in your suggestion. I'm always unsure wether to level first, then extend the slide, or the other way around. We have a 2018 Canyon Star 3710.

If the site requires more than a little leveling, I extend the jacks and then the slides. Is this the right way?
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
Interested in your suggestion. I'm always unsure wether to level first, then extend the slide, or the other way around. We have a 2018 Canyon Star 3710.

Note a 2018 CS is a gas coach on springs and a 2020 CS is a diesel. Each of those owners should follow the instructions in the black briefcase in the owners manual.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #8

Richard,
I agree, and would if the info was in the black briefcase; but, it isn't. I've called the jack supplier, and tried to get an answer from Newmar with little luck. This is our sixth MH, so I'm pretty familiar with all of the systems. But "slides out, then level" seems counterintuitive to me. That's why I'm asking.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #9

Due to the slide rooms getting larger and the coaches staying the same size, you have a lot of flex in the chassis. Rooms are run out first to keep them square with the openings. If you level the coach first, the coach may level but the slide room can get in a bind at the edges. That’s why you pop off the corner trim pieces. It can also cause the trim going along to top and bottom of the sides to hit on the flanges. You would see the screw trim covers damaged from running the rooms on the jacks. Hopes this helps some.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Richard,
I agree, and would if the info was in the black briefcase; but, it isn't. I've called the jack supplier, and tried to get an answer from Newmar with little luck. This is our sixth MH, so I'm pretty familiar with all of the systems. But "slides out, then level" seems counterintuitive to me. That's why I'm asking.
This is a snippet from the manual for my Ventana - note what it says in the "Important" box. This is what I was trying to tell the OP.

My 3412 does not have a full wall slide, and my reveal has always been best when leveled. Additionally, I emailed Newmar and have it in writing from them that my procedure is perfectly acceptable due to not having the big full wall slide(s)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Op.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	366368  
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Richard,

When putting out the slides the best advice I’ve seen is to check that the “reveal” is the same on all sides of the slide; essentially that the wall vs slide aren’t racked. If the reveal is uneven then reposition the coach or adjust the levelers and check again. I do check every time I extend the slides.

It is not possible to check the reveal before retracting; the best procedure would always have a spotter outside watching as the slide comes in.

Sometimes old man weather makes the call for you; we had one time a storm turned violent; we were on the levelers on a fairly level campsite and when the slide toppers started to flap wildly we pulled in the slide without going out to check. But since that day I’ve tried to make sure I have done a risk assessment in advance so I don’t have to decide in the storm.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi again,

In response to some of the questions and statements:

1)2020 Canyon Star is a "GAS" engined, Ford F-53 chassis, 26,000 GVWR.
2021 models and newer are "FRED", front engine diesel.
So the issue in question here, is about a GAS chassis coach.

2)In my case, I look at the "reveal" gaps, before putting out slides, and in 95% of the cases, I put out the slides, then use the levers(jacks); which are "auto-level).

3)Right or wrong, I had a couple of cases where the front end was a bit lower than the rear,. I used "blocks", leveled, then put out slides, with no issues.

4)Something not mentioned in the original post, I do have "Liquid Spring" suspension installed, front & rear. And when putting out the slides, I do so at "normal ride height", turn off the system, then level with the jacks.
Before "Liquid Spring's", I would put out slides as stated above.

5)Waiting for a call back from Newmar, about possibly getting an appointment for Mark, the Newmar Mobile Service Tech, to come by an adjust it; prior to our trip out West. Hopefully this will be the best resolution to the problem. If not, I may have to try and find a reputable Newmar Dealer in Florida (St. Augustine area), to adjust it. Doubt that I will attempt it!

6)With regard to our "Newmar's"; fractions of an inch do make a big difference!

Have a great day, and Thanks for the responses. They are appreciated!
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #13

Thanks for the responses. I'll do a better job of checking the slide before I extend, leveled or not.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a solution....

Mark, the Newmar Mobile Service Tech is scheduled to be here on June 14th to adjust & repair the slide.

I will post a follow-up, after he fixes it!

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Have a wonderful "RV DAY"!

Tags
slide