Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Adjusting the air compressor governor on a 2018 DS K2

I have read a lot about higher air compressor PSI settings being recommended by Spartan, a cut off PSI of 135 PSI is recommended , I looked for the adjustment procedure in my Spartan CD and didn’t find it, so I called Spartan who said that they have it but can’t provide it to me.
So I’m looking to see if anyone here is in possession of this highly classified information.
As always, should any member of your team be caught providing this information , the secretary will disavow any knowledgeable of your actions.
This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds
Thank you agent Stuartan
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Stuart:

I don't have a written procedure to share, but I watched it being done on our MADP. I would be surprised if it would be much different on your DSDP.

Attached is a photo of what the regulator looks like in our coach. It is located in the passenger side rear engine bay.

The bottom cap unscrews (note the fins to assist in gripping it). Standard "lefty loosey, righty tightly."

Under the cap is an adjustment screw with lock nut (looked like either 1/2" or 9/16"...maybe the metric equivalent). Loosen the lock nut while using a flat-blade screwdriver to keep the screw from turning.

At the top of the unit, you will see a plastic cap covering a tire-style valvestem. This is where the pressure is checked.

The procedure I observed is as follows.

1. Bleed the air tank pressure down to 60 psi or so by repeatedly activating the brake pedal.

2. Adjust screw at the base of the regulator. (I think clockwise raises the pressure, but I could be mistaken. It will be obvious after the first adjustment.)

3. Start the coach and let the tanks air up. After you hear the customary blow-off indicating that the coach is up to pressure, shut the engine off.

4. Check the tank pressure at the fitting indicated above.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until the desired pressure is measured.

6. While holding the adjusting screw with a flat-blade screwdriver, tighten the lock nut.

7. Repeat steps 1 through 4 again to ensure that you didn't accidentally move the adjusting screw while tightening the lock nut.

8. If all is well, replace the bottom cap on the regulator and tighten hand-tight.

9. Replace the cap on the valvestem where you checked the pressure.

This is to the best of my recollection, and I observed pretty carefully. YMMV.

The above information is classified as "super, heavy duty, bottom secret" and should only be revealed as a set of "alternative facts."

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	212513  
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Adjusting the air compressor governor on a 2018 DS K2

Jim this is perfect, thank you very much, did the set your to 135?
I had just watched a video of a governor replacement on a older dump truck, it looked the same [emoji4]
Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Yes, Spartan recommended 135 psi and that's what the technician set it too.

Funny story here. As I watched, he tweaked the pressure and measured it at 134.7 psi. I said, "that's pretty darned close!" He replied, "yeah, but it is NOT 135 psi." He then proceeded to tweak it to EXACTLY 135 psi.

I appreciate mechanics and techs that like to get things right.

TJ
Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stuart:

I should add that the pressure was raised to stop the "Hadley not at ride height" error messages we were getting. Not sure whether you have the air suspension on the DSDP. If not, you may not need to raise the air pressure.

TJ
Old 07-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the HWH air leveling system now. Going in next year to have the Active Air installed. One of the first things you have to do is drive your rig to another shop somewhat close by to be sure your system will allow 130 psi or more as 130 is min for the Active Air to function.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Stuart:

I should add that the pressure was raised to stop the "Hadley not at ride height" error messages we were getting. Not sure whether you have the air suspension on the DSDP. If not, you may not need to raise the air pressure.

TJ

Thanks Jim, Spartan did acknowledge the 135psi, and did mention on the active suspension it was needed do to the warning
Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

I think it's funny that the Spartan guys talked me right through it after two of their "authorized service centers" couldn't figure out how to do it.

Hardest part about it is having a commercial tire gauge that reads 130 psi, which I didn't have so I had a mobile tech come out and do it.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I think it's funny that the Spartan guys talked me right through it after two of their "authorized service centers" couldn't figure out how to do it.

Hardest part about it is having a commercial tire gauge that reads 130 psi, which I didn't have so I had a mobile tech come out and do it.
How do you check your tires, Jeff? You don't need a fancy digital gauge to check the pressure in your air tanks. A quality analog gauge will do fine. I have long carried a Milton truck tire gauge capable of measuring to 160 psi.

The tech that set our pressure did use a nice digital gauge, but he readily acknowledged that an accurate tire gauge would work fine.

TJ
Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
How do you check your tires, Jeff? You don't need a fancy digital gauge to check the pressure in your air tanks. A quality analog gauge will do fine. I have long carried a Milton truck tire gauge capable of measuring to 160 psi.

The tech that set our pressure did use a nice digital gauge, but he readily acknowledged that an accurate tire gauge would work fine.

TJ
I can check the tires with my Viair inflation system but supposedly that is not super accurate, so I back it up with my TPMS.

I need to get a truck one and be done with it.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

On our 18 LA on Spartan K3 605 with the Hadley Air System we for the first 2K miles getting warning both on dash and buzzer that our ride height wasn't correct. Contacted Spartan and they said to raise air pressure to 135 with the air governor. We did but we were still getting alarm that ride height wasn't correct so another phone call to Spartan and they said you can go as height as 140 psi which we did by adjusting regulator on governor and all is good now for last 5K miles. Hadley air suspension is outstanding to have on LA. We are here at Newmar factory and they say the FL chassis on MA, Essex and LA doesn't have a Hadley system but another which isn't as good as Hadley.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
On mine there is a digital readout of the air tanks , couldn’t that also be used in conjunction with a gauge to confirm set pop off pressure?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I can check the tires with my Viair inflation system but supposedly that is not super accurate, so I back it up with my TPMS.

I need to get a truck one and be done with it.
Yep! They are not expensive; $20 or less for a Milton or Tru-Flate bar-type gauge. Here's what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-976-...ir+gauge&psc=1

TJ
Old 09-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #14

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but was doing some research and have a question.

Does the single governor control both the front and rear tanks?
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor