Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #1

If you have a G.E. Advantium microwave and are using it with a modified sine wave inverter be aware of this issue. Many coaches using these options experience a high voltage (approximately 138 vac) when the micro is used when operating on the inverter. This may cause one or both of the following. Interior light premature failure and or control board failure. Both of these appear to be caused by voltage in excess of 130 vac.

Here is how you can test your rig. Plug a RMS volt meter or multi meter into a duplex outlet within the coach. Do make sure it is RMS (root mean square) meter as a modified sine wave can not be accurately measured with a stanard unit. RMS meters are available at Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.
Now disconnect your coach from any power and turn on your inverter. Observing the meter and activate the micro. Put a glass of water inside to give the oven something to heat and therefore protect it. The voltage prior to turning it on will be 118 to 121, or somewhere it that range. It should remain in that range when turned on or exibit a slight drop, that is normal. It may, as many have, spike to over 130, or as in my case 138. This will do damage in a very short time.

The solution: Never use the micro wave on the inverter or replace the inverter with that of a true sine wave. I had mine replaced with a true sine wave.

How common is this? Very. My bulb burned out as did a friend in the park with his new MADP 45'. North Trail RV had a number of control boards burned out.

Anyway just thought you would like to know.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #2

If you have a G.E. Advantium microwave and are using it with a modified sine wave inverter be aware of this issue. Many coaches using these options experience a high voltage (approximately 138 vac) when the micro is used when operating on the inverter. This may cause one or both of the following. Interior light premature failure and or control board failure. Both of these appear to be caused by voltage in excess of 130 vac.

Here is how you can test your rig. Plug a RMS volt meter or multi meter into a duplex outlet within the coach. Do make sure it is RMS (root mean square) meter as a modified sine wave can not be accurately measured with a stanard unit. RMS meters are available at Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.
Now disconnect your coach from any power and turn on your inverter. Observing the meter and activate the micro. Put a glass of water inside to give the oven something to heat and therefore protect it. The voltage prior to turning it on will be 118 to 121, or somewhere it that range. It should remain in that range when turned on or exibit a slight drop, that is normal. It may, as many have, spike to over 130, or as in my case 138. This will do damage in a very short time.

The solution: Never use the micro wave on the inverter or replace the inverter with that of a true sine wave. I had mine replaced with a true sine wave.

How common is this? Very. My bulb burned out as did a friend in the park with his new MADP 45'. North Trail RV had a number of control boards burned out.

Anyway just thought you would like to know.

Peter
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

Ours spikes to 135v with the GE Profile. Wonder why Newmar wires the microwave thru the inverter?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #4

Thanks Peter. Mine was tested by dealer and spiked at 138. Result - I now have a pure sin wave inverter. Again, thanks to the "forum" for the info or I would never have known of the issue much less the solution.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Does Newmar put a pure sine wave inverter in the all eletric coach? We had the bulb burn out on our 04 Essex. Dealer said warranty "does not cover lght bulbs". We had it replaced in Nappannee. Pam also said it did not heat or cook like when we first got the rig. Could this be attribited to use while on the inverter?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #6

John, All the new all electric coaches now come with TSW (true sine wave) inverters now and for about two or so months. In my opinion, and this goes way back, any coach with a micro wave may experience efficiency loss on their unit if operated on a MSW (modified sine wave) inverter, and that loss may carry through to normal shore power operation. This applies to all coaches and is not necessary applicable to only those that are all electric.

Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
cwg

When our all electric coach had the inverter switched to the pure sine wave type, the techs said the modified sine wave inverter would have also shortened the life of the residential refrigerator.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

Newmar brass says all 08 Essex (Essexi??) will be TSW both all-elec and otherwise. Makes me glad I got to pay for TSW as a "special" as the near last non-all-elec 07 EXDP. If they threw it in as standard on non-all-elec prior to 08 then we'd all be asking for the upgrade.

The MSW "issue" was first brought to the limelight at most manufacturers by it's negative impact on the "residential" style refers common in all-elec coaches.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Makes me extra glad that I just replaced my MSW inverter with a TSW one in my Vectra: Xantrex RS2000 Install in a Vectra 36RD (long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #10

I guess the bottom line now with the improvements made in many appliances, and the like, to more logic state technology is, you have to get a TWS inverter or problems may happen. MSW were fine in the old days, but the old days are gone. Insist on a TSW inverter in future.

Peter