Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Advantium microwave

I have a London Aire on order and wanted to change microwaves. Was told $1476.00 to swap out for advantium. That sounds really high. Wondering what others were told. That to me was ridiculous.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL57 View Post
I have a London Aire on order and wanted to change microwaves. Was told $1476.00 to swap out for advantium. That sounds really high. Wondering what others were told. That to me was ridiculous.
I paid $650, but then another item that was a 200 item cost 1200, so I assume they made up the difference. The pricing for specials is not consistent, or even fair, but then again, what choice do we have?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

microwave

Price may depend on which model you are getting. A quick check on Amazon show the price from slightly over 1 thousand to 2800.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3KPEVBN2ZQIRK

I would ask what model they are installing and do they subtract the cost of the one they are replacing.

I read it is not difficult to swap but what is easy to some is a real challenge to others.
I have the Whirlpool and have used it almost every day for the past 18 months.
The only problem I had was the door coming open along I-40 and the platter falling out. It shattered and went everywhere. Bought a new platter on eBay and Newmar install an additional latch to keep it shut. The latch appears to be a standard drawer latch.

Good luck
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

That’s close to what my upgrade was about a year ago. Definitely worth it with the broil feature. Some have also had the unit vented outside. We decided not to and have not had any issues.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

I was told by a dealer when pricing specials that it costs $1,400 to install the Advantium in a 2019 DSDP 4369. Retail price at Best Buy for the same oven is $1,080 when I looked it up a few weeks ago. I'm going to wait and replace the standard convection oven if we're unhappy.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Have Best Buy work up a better quote. You can get it down to $899
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We paid about $1,200 one year ago. Newmar would not credit back the cost of the Whirlpool.

We found the Advantium priced $200 cheaper at Best Buy, but Newmar would then have to receive it, track it, match to your coach etc. I don't know if they would consider dealing with the extra hassle it would bring about. I don't really blame them to be honest.

Our dealer, Midway, discounted the specials we added. Is your dealer not doing that?

After living with for 1 year, the Advantium is worth the upgrade to us.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We added the Advantium to the MADP when we ordered it in January. Newmar doesn't break out the cost of individual special items; at least, they wouldn't for us. That makes it hard to really know what the upgrade cost is.

That said, when we were contacting various dealers before actually placing our order through one of them, some would provide the list and discounted price of specials. Some dealers will not discount specials at all (a deal breaker for us) and some would.

As I recall, the discounted cost of adding the Advantium was around $2K. Is it worth it? The DW certainly thinks so and, if she's happy with it, I'm happy with it.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well i have had my advantium for nearly 4 years , i paid 1200 at a local appliance store.

let them toss in whatever they want and just replace it with one you can get at best buy or locally and save the money.
it fits in the standard 30" hole. but the door hinges on the side so you may have to move ti forward some, but if its an option then the cabinet is most likely already for it.
either way its a fantastic little machine.

i have close to 50 recipes in it that i developed....yes i like to cook
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered the Advantium in our '02 DSDP. Cost was around $800 extra way back them. Never regretted it other than it didn't like the non sine wave inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I replaced my convection microwave in my Ventana with an Advantium and got it for under $1000. The swap out was simple. I would think to change from the standard convection to an Advantium on a new on order coach would be $400-$500 difference but I think Newmar has some fantastic upcharges on some of the items they sell.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
well i have had my advantium for nearly 4 years , i paid 1200 at a local appliance store.

let them toss in whatever they want and just replace it with one you can get at best buy or locally and save the money.
it fits in the standard 30" hole. but the door hinges on the side so you may have to move ti forward some, but if its an option then the cabinet is most likely already for it.
either way its a fantastic little machine.

i have close to 50 recipes in it that i developed....yes i like to cook
I had to sign off on a construction print for some changes to the cabinet, so I think they change the cabinets a bit to fit the Advantium -- at least on the Ventana.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Also, the dealer can request the specials be broken out. I got that way and I knew to ask for them that way, because I saw other people on here post individual prices for specials.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Rd1

for LADP, there is one or two trims they typically add, Adventium is slightly smaller than the whirpool, and it does not stick out as much as the whirpool. much better choice.

You can also have service replace it after delivery. service "may" give you credit, at least they did a couple years ago. and need to make sure they open the vent option in or out. inside work just fine as it vents out right under the kitchen roof fan/vent. just buy your own and schedule a visit for service now and have them replace it.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave