Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Advice Needed - Dealer or Camp Newmar??

I have been having a continuing problem with my TV lift which will most likely have to be replaced. I have an appointment with my dealer for this next month. I have talked to the Newmar service techs 3 times and they agree the lift will most likely have to be replaced. But my dealer will not be able to order the lift until they observe the issue.

The issue is the lift will make a popping sound and then the lift will go down on its own. This will happen 3 or 4 times a day. My dealer is 480 miles away. Camp Newmar is 45 miles (525 miles) more away from a stop I have scheduled in early April. I am assuming the ordering and shipping of the new lift would take about a week. I would assume it would be a lot quicker if I had this work done at Camp Newmar.

I can stay on the dealer's lot during the week waiting, but I would have to leave on the weekend. To complicate this Florida will be very full next month with snowbirds, so finding a campground for a few nights may be hard to do. I am again assuming that I would be able to get a spot at CN and not have to leave so I would think this would be better. Will I have trouble getting a spot at CN in early April?

What would y'all do?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

CN!

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been having a continuing problem with my TV lift which will most likely have to be replaced. I have an appointment with my dealer for this next month. I have talked to the Newmar service techs 3 times and they agree the lift will most likely have to be replaced. But my dealer will not be able to order the lift until they observe the issue.

The issue is the lift will make a popping sound and then the lift will go down on its own. This will happen 3 or 4 times a day. My dealer is 480 miles away. Camp Newmar is 45 miles (525 miles) more away from a stop I have scheduled in early April. I am assuming the ordering and shipping of the new lift would take about a week. I would assume it would be a lot quicker if I had this work done at Camp Newmar.

I can stay on the dealer's lot during the week waiting, but I would have to leave on the weekend. To complicate this Florida will be very full next month with snowbirds, so finding a campground for a few nights may be hard to do. I am again assuming that I would be able to get a spot at CN and not have to leave so I would think this would be better. Will I have trouble getting a spot at CN in early April?

What would y'all do?
Tough decision for sure. Get it fixed now at a Florida dealer or wait until April for Newmar service center. I would choose Newmar service center unless it was an emergency just for the wait time at the dealer. Too many times you invest the wait time with a dealer and end up disappointed, plus having to spend the week in their lot then move on the weekend. The other issue is getting an appointment with Newmar even in April. The last I heard, they were already booking into May. I would check with Newmar for an appointment, because the decision may already have been made for you.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

I was not aware that I would need a service appointment. I thought it was first come first served. I need to get in touch with my Newmar service tech ASAP.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
For me, no decision here. Camp Newmar all the way. In addition to what you mentioned, there is the item that Newmar built it, they know how to take it apart. + There is the reputation Newmar techs vs dealer techs who work on all brands of RVs..

I fly the Newmar tech flag on this one.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

Raymond you will need an appointment at Newmar for the work.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Ray, camp Newmar is first come first served but you have to have an appointment for any service. I would go to Newmar.
How about the rally at Tampa? The techs will be there. Iím having a couple of things done there, itís closer than Nappanee.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Ray, camp Newmar is first come first served but you have to have an appointment for any service. I would go to Newmar.
How about the rally at Tampa? The techs will be there. Iím having a couple of things done there, itís closer than Nappanee.
The Tampa rally was full a few weeks back and there was a standby list. I think they try to limit any repairs to 3 hours or less
Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
How about the rally at Tampa? The techs will be there. I’m having a couple of things done there, it’s closer than Nappanee.
The main issue is the time span between ordering the lift and receiving it. I do not think the techs at Tampa would have one with them.

I will call Newmar service tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

My vote is for service at Newmar. To arrest Wayne’s dates, I contacted Newmar customer service last week and emailed a short list of warranty items that need to be addressed along with an inquiry for a WiFi Ranger sky3. We were given an appointment for April 30th. Tampa and Florida in parts of January and February, a Hilton Head visit in March, and the beautiful Indiana countryside in April, we’re loving the journey and the Newmar service department.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCJr View Post
My vote is for service at Newmar. To arrest Wayneís dates, I contacted Newmar customer service last week and emailed a short list of warranty items that need to be addressed along with an inquiry for a WiFi Ranger sky3. We were given an appointment for April 30th. Tampa and Florida in parts of January and February, a Hilton Head visit in March, and the beautiful Indiana countryside in April, weíre loving the journey and the Newmar service department.
If you are staying at Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort, look me up; lot 359
Old 12-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #12

Raymond, I have stayed at Independence over the weekend. You must sign for a key for the gate and agree to stay with your coach or on their massive front porch. You cannot wander around the lot.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Raymond, I have stayed at Independence over the weekend. You must sign for a key for the gate and agree to stay with your coach or on their massive front porch. You cannot wander around the lot.
This is what I thought also. But the service supervisor said no one is allowed over the weekend. I was given a key when we bought picked up our coach.

I plan on calling Newmar service and Independence today to get this clarified.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
If you are staying at Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort, look me up; lot 359
oops, attest Wayneís dates... We certainly will stop by. The first week of November we stayed on lot #304 on the Palmetto Loop. Great resort!
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dealer, newmar