Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I finally did a temperature test of the alternator. I duct taped the temp probe to the alternator case and recorded for 8 hours. My 1400 ah of lithiums were at 23% and I let the BIM take controll for 1.5 hours. Temp went up to 185f and stayed there. I stopped and let it idle for 20 minutes and the temp went to 212f. I started driving, hit the latching relay on boost switch for 4 hours and the temp went to 215f. I pulled over and the batteries were 100%. I turned on one AC for the last 2 hours and the temp went to 217f. I drove from Crater Lake,OR to central CA in pretty cool weather, about 85 to 90 outside. With 85a load (about 30%) being the most I have seen with one AC running and 217 deg I am comfortable letting the alternator charge the batteries. So far my system has worked better than I thought.
Great info 10fan! And although I know temperature is an important factor, I would think load would be too. I would be curious to correlate the load with the temperature. I see at one point that you mention 85a load on the alternator. Do you have a meter on that all the time? I have been tempted to get a Bluetooth device that would allow me to measure this as well. What do you use to measure the amp draw?

Thanks
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought this on Amazon and it works great. (Thank you Charlie) Clamp it on the alternator output and I put my phone on the bed to record the output, signal won't reach the drivers seat. Used the same meter for temp. and to check a bad capacitor on my roof AC. I have compared the readings to my Fluke and 3 other multimeters and it is the same. I wish I could monitor everything all the time. I have checked alternator output 5 or 6 times while running one AC off batteries while driving and the max so far has been 85a. During those times my solar was close or at the max I have seen (121a). I would think the alternator output would go up when the solar goes down (I can only check solar when I stop) but the recorded amount stays very constant, only varies a few amps.

BTMETER BT-570CAPP Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter, Auto-Ranging Bluetooth Amp Meter for AC&DC Current Amperage Voltage Resistance Temp Electrical Tester with Backlit Continuity
Return and product support eligibility
$47.49
Old 08-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I bought this on Amazon and it works great. (Thank you Charlie) Clamp it on the alternator output and I put my phone on the bed to record the output, signal won't reach the drivers seat. Used the same meter for temp. and to check a bad capacitor on my roof AC. I have compared the readings to my Fluke and 3 other multimeters and it is the same. I wish I could monitor everything all the time. I have checked alternator output 5 or 6 times while running one AC off batteries while driving and the max so far has been 85a. During those times my solar was close or at the max I have seen (121a). I would think the alternator output would go up when the solar goes down (I can only check solar when I stop) but the recorded amount stays very constant, only varies a few amps.

BTMETER BT-570CAPP Digital Clamp Meter Multimeter, Auto-Ranging Bluetooth Amp Meter for AC&DC Current Amperage Voltage Resistance Temp Electrical Tester with Backlit Continuity
Return and product support eligibility
$47.49
Thanks. And yes, Charlie is a great help!

I see it now for $37.99
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PY8B1JC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1YAU90U3F1RJ9&psc=1

How hard do you think it would be to get it in there with a rear radiator? I guess that’s a question for Charlie.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Thanks. And yes, Charlie is a great help!

I see it now for $37.99
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PY...0U3F1RJ9&psc=1
Rich

I think it is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-BT.../dp/B07CFWL3SY
Old 08-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuallen View Post
Got it! Thanks.

Will put it on the Christmas list.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Probably not fun but look up from underneath and follow the wire from the alternator and find an easy place to clamp it on. I would think it goes to the batteries.

Tags
advice, alternator, batteries, charging, install, lithium, solar