Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Advice needed for ordering TV access at buffet

We’re looking for some advice from the resident AV experts. We’ll be ordering a Ventana 4369 soon, and have decided that we don’t want the front overhead TV. Instead, we would like to be able to connect a smaller TV at the desk/buffet for the times we want to watch TV while we eat, or work at the desk. We’ll have a factory installed TV in the living room fireplace which is on the same side as the buffet, as well as in the bedroom and outdoors.

We’ve been told that as long as we want cables and wires they already use, we can have them run anywhere. We would want to be able to have access to the same inputs (cable, antenna, satellite, etc) as we’ll have on the other TVs. We’ll use our own TV at the buffet, but would like Newmar to install what ever we’d need to the buffet area so we could just “plug in” our TV. What should we ask for?
PandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
We’re looking for some advice from the resident AV experts. We’ll be ordering a Ventana 4369 soon, and have decided that we don’t want the front overhead TV. Instead, we would like to be able to connect a smaller TV at the desk/buffet for the times we want to watch TV while we eat, or work at the desk. We’ll have a factory installed TV in the living room fireplace which is on the same side as the buffet, as well as in the bedroom and outdoors.

We’ve been told that as long as we want cables and wires they already use, we can have them run anywhere. We would want to be able to have access to the same inputs (cable, antenna, satellite, etc) as we’ll have on the other TVs. We’ll use our own TV at the buffet, but would like Newmar to install what ever we’d need to the buffet area so we could just “plug in” our TV. What should we ask for?
Have them run the coax and two HDMI cables that would nornally go to the front overhead TV (that you are not getting) to the buffet area.

The coax comes off the spitter that is fed from either the antenna or park cable. The HDMIs come off the Sat and Bluray HDMI splitters in the AV cabinet.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

Thanks! That seems simple enough.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

What? Whyever would you not want a TV on every wall????
Old 01-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #5

Well, OF COURSE we want a TV on every wall, but they're so big we'd like them to be at least 3 feet apart! Besides, 4 TVs for 2 people should be enough.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

One for each eye!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Newmarpusher- why 2 HDMI & a coax cable? I just had them run a HDMI cable & install a Duplex recep. to my peg board compartment so I could install a second outside TV on my rig.
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Newmarpusher- why 2 HDMI & a coax cable? I just had them run a HDMI cable & install a Duplex recep. to my peg board compartment so I could install a second outside TV on my rig.
The OP was asking how to make it just like the other TV's. Newmar runs two HDMI's to each of the front and outside TV's that come from two splitters in the AV cabinet. One is used for the included Blueray player, the second for the customer supplied SAT dish. All HDMI switching is done at the TV's.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #9

Newmarpusher: In the AV cabinet above the drivers seat, Newmar has 2 splitters up front & one in the rear on my coach- I'm running 3 Direct TV receivers for 5 LED TV's. Satellite in cables go into each splitter & 2 HDMI cables go out to two respective TV's, I slave my outside up front(in door side slide) to my Tele-lift TV behind my couch inside. My coach only has one HDMI cable going into each TV. They will install a slitter in his bedroom TV (just like I had done) & run one HDMI cable to his bedroom TV & one HDMI cable to his buffet TV.

Mahalo & Aloha
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Newmarpusher: In the AV cabinet above the drivers seat, Newmar has 2 splitters up front & one in the rear on my coach- I'm running 3 Direct TV receivers for 5 LED TV's. Satellite in cables go into each splitter & 2 HDMI cables go out to two respective TV's, I slave my outside up front(in door side slide) to my Tele-lift TV behind my couch inside. My coach only has one HDMI cable going into each TV. They will install a slitter in his bedroom TV (just like I had done) & run one HDMI cable to his bedroom TV & one HDMI cable to his buffet TV.

Mahalo & Aloha

There are a myriad of ways to do it.

I think the OP would have the greatest luck with Newmar to just state "Wire the buffet area as if it were the (non existent) overhead TV. Which would be two HDMI cables and one coax.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #11

Thanks for the discussion. It's been very helpful!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When it comes to TFV's RV's come in two flavors.. one has a wall plate, it has a switch, a light, a 12 volt outlet, and an antenna connection.. This is your Antenna booster POWER SUPPLY and antenna/cable selector switch, (IT is not itself a booster). Optionally it has a Sensar Pro but I know of no factory installing.. Suggest you have them install a Sensor Pro.

The other is a box of many buttons (BOMB) or Matrix Switch (proper name) It too has a button marked POWER and a light and provides power to the booster in the antenna head.. Unless you install a Sensar Pro in front of it (I DID, and recommend.. Well.. you know)

IF you have the BOMB. and TWO TV's. as I did when new, there was a 3rd OUT on the BOMB marked TV-3 (Strangely enough) and I ran a cable from there to.. Well in my case a 4 way splitter and then on to 4 "Ends"

I can put a TV in several places.. And do. Works great.

Newmar can do the same for you. IF you want an ADDITIONAL TV spot they can run off a BOMB or they can add a splitter.. WARNINGS though

1: Have them run both COAX and HDMI,, if you choose to over pay for Sat TV you will want the HMDI line run and an HDMI splitter at the receiver

2: If you do not have a BOMB with a spare port. they will add a splitter, this results in (usually) a 3-6 dB loss of signal (1/2 to 1/4th the signal) at the TV's past the splitter. now that has not been an issue for me (I loose a bit over 6dB in my 4-Way).

My system is kind of Rube Goldburg but I can most easily describe it by saying watch those commercicals where they say "Only _______ Lets you do _____" (first blank is "our over priced subscription TV service" and second blank is a long list of things like record in one room play in another, which I'm watching a show recorded in the other room as I type). And I designed it and built it so that I don't pay but 25.00/year for the "Subscription" to the program guide.. and tha't.. Is optional.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When it comes to TFV's RV's come in two flavors.. one has a wall plate, it has a switch, a light, a 12 volt outlet, and an antenna connection.. This is your Antenna booster POWER SUPPLY and antenna/cable selector switch, (IT is not itself a booster). Optionally it has a Sensar Pro but I know of no factory installing.. Suggest you have them install a Sensor Pro.

The other is a box of many buttons (BOMB) or Matrix Switch (proper name) It too has a button marked POWER and a light and provides power to the booster in the antenna head.. Unless you install a Sensar Pro in front of it (I DID, and recommend.. Well.. you know)

IF you have the BOMB. and TWO TV's. as I did when new, there was a 3rd OUT on the BOMB marked TV-3 (Strangely enough) and I ran a cable from there to.. Well in my case a 4 way splitter and then on to 4 "Ends"

I can put a TV in several places.. And do. Works great.

Newmar can do the same for you. IF you want an ADDITIONAL TV spot they can run off a BOMB or they can add a splitter.. WARNINGS though

1: Have them run both COAX and HDMI,, if you choose to over pay for Sat TV you will want the HMDI line run and an HDMI splitter at the receiver

2: If you do not have a BOMB with a spare port. they will add a splitter, this results in (usually) a 3-6 dB loss of signal (1/2 to 1/4th the signal) at the TV's past the splitter. now that has not been an issue for me (I loose a bit over 6dB in my 4-Way).

My system is kind of Rube Goldburg but I can most easily describe it by saying watch those commercicals where they say "Only _______ Lets you do _____" (first blank is "our over priced subscription TV service" and second blank is a long list of things like record in one room play in another, which I'm watching a show recorded in the other room as I type). And I designed it and built it so that I don't pay but 25.00/year for the "Subscription" to the program guide.. and tha't.. Is optional.
Newmar no longer used the "Bomb" referred to or any sort of central switching. As I stated earlier, there are two active HDMI Splitters in the AV cabinet, one for the included Blueray, one for the customer supplied Sat receiver. Two runs of HDMI eminate from those splitters to each TV. The Input controls of each TV are used to select either HDMI source.

The Antenna/Park cable coax splits off from the Powerswitch of the powered antenna near the entrance door. That switch is used to select either Antenna or Park Cable which supplies all TV's through a series of hidden passive splitters. This could be greatly cleaned up and result in a better signal since I've found at least three passive splitters hooked in series in my coax runs. This signal is again selected solely from each TV's INPUT switch (TV).

Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a quick question for folks reading this thread

Did the subject line throw you? "TV access at teh Buffet"..

It is clear what he wants when you read the post but did the subject line throw you? Just a yes or no.. Kind of wondering.

Tags
advice