Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
The problem isn't staff or office space (other than when it comes to getting new accounts created), but instead the fact it's not functional.
Not sure this is 100% true. I think staff is important. It has to be the correct people not just programmers.

An example, the American Kennel Club, AKC is a lot larger than Newmar and handles a lot more items on every breed including litters, pedigrees, Show information, Judges Information, Championships etc.... the list is endless.

Several years ago they went on a complete up date much like this. They hired a lot of folks that didn't and still don't know a thing about the dog world other than they have four legs and most have a tail. It has been a cluster to say the least. Their web site is beautiful but for the most part useless unless you use it every day. Their search engine is lost and can't find itself. If you misspell a Judges name by one letter or leave out their middle initial it can't find that judge for example. Hell Google can but the AKC own web site can't.

My point is that the best computer people aren't going to fix a problem unless they know something about the products use and how it is used. Someone at Newmar needs to sit down with the folks in charge and give them problems to solve like real world problems.

Example would be. "I have a 2018 Dutch Star #607298 and my hot water doesn't work, what do I do?" With that information it is known to Newmar what the serial number of the Oasis is that was installed in the unit and what the diagnostics for that system are. Let them see what the folks are looking for not just list every part, bolt and screw and hope that folks can find out how they work. Other wise they can spend another $500 k and it still won't work.

This would help their own service department. Right now if there is a problem on a unit they are working on in one team and no one on the that team knows anything about it they run all over the shop trying to find out who does know something about it. Would it not be more productive to just go to the computer and type the problem in and all of the past repair orders of that same problem would populate the screen.

The information is there all they have to do is have a method to mine it that makes sense to the folks looking for it not to a programmer.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #44

After almost 3 years why hasn't NEWGLE been the answer

I have been told when a tech calls Newmar with problems on your coach the first thing they ask for is the VIN. Newmar then pulls up your coach on the screen and every part on it is available right on the screen(s). WHEN Newgle works like that I will use it not before. JMHO
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #45
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
The "original" version of Newgle was coach specific and extremely useful. A valuable resource for our 2011 Canyon Star. The new & improved version is useless as it is too generic. I have tried to use a couple of times for our 2016 Dutch Star and got too frustrated. I usually have to go to The Briefcase and/or manufacturer website. An improvement would be to go back to the way it used to be.
Here I thought it was me. Sorry to hear so many others find Newgle next to impossible to use.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Not sure this is 100% true. I think staff is important. It has to be the correct people not just programmers.

An example, the American Kennel Club, AKC is a lot larger than Newmar and handles a lot more items on every breed including litters, pedigrees, Show information, Judges Information, Championships etc.... the list is endless.

Several years ago they went on a complete up date much like this. They hired a lot of folks that didn't and still don't know a thing about the dog world other than they have four legs and most have a tail. It has been a cluster to say the least. Their web site is beautiful but for the most part useless unless you use it every day. Their search engine is lost and can't find itself. If you misspell a Judges name by one letter or leave out their middle initial it can't find that judge for example. Hell Google can but the AKC own web site can't.

My point is that the best computer people aren't going to fix a problem unless they know something about the products use and how it is used. Someone at Newmar needs to sit down with the folks in charge and give them problems to solve like real world problems.

Example would be. "I have a 2018 Dutch Star #607298 and my hot water doesn't work, what do I do?" With that information it is known to Newmar what the serial number of the Oasis is that was installed in the unit and what the diagnostics for that system are. Let them see what the folks are looking for not just list every part, bolt and screw and hope that folks can find out how they work. Other wise they can spend another $500 k and it still won't work.

This would help their own service department. Right now if there is a problem on a unit they are working on in one team and no one on the that team knows anything about it they run all over the shop trying to find out who does know something about it. Would it not be more productive to just go to the computer and type the problem in and all of the past repair orders of that same problem would populate the screen.

The information is there all they have to do is have a method to mine it that makes sense to the folks looking for it not to a programmer.
Agreed. I doubt very much the six people are programmers. More likely, they are the people entering these thousands of bits of information that still need to be entered, but the problem is the system itself isn't functional.

Based on what people have posted in this thread, Newmar seems to think that once they have all the information uploaded, then us coach owners will come here and search like in Google and poof, we have our info.

That's flawed logic. It needs to work like the old Newgle, where my account is associated with my coach number and when I login, I only see information related to the items on my coach.

That's a functional design problem with the site.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
I have been told when a tech calls Newmar with problems on your coach the first thing they ask for is the VIN. Newmar then pulls up your coach on the screen and every part on it is available right on the screen(s). WHEN Newgle works like that I will use it not before. JMHO
The same with Customer Service. One step farther. They see your phone ID if you have called in before and you pop up before you even give them your coach number.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #48

So, we can call this topic resolved, then?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #49

After going thru the Newgle class and discussing the topic with Newmar IT folks I think it's pretty safe to say that Newgle is not very likely to ever be a good tool for technical information. They were more interested in scanning in the owners manuals for appliances than trying to provide useful information.

They made dozens of excuses for why we can't access things like wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams and so forth. They claimed that all that stuff is different for every coach. However, they were unable to explain how I can call Newmar support and they can email those diagrams to me. They must be in a database somewhere. I just think Newmar has a different vision for Newgle than most of us do.

Perhaps with Newmar being bought by Winnebago things will eventually change. Winnebago has about the best technical information available on line of any manufacturer. However, they lack a cutesy name for it. Maybe the Newmar IT folks can come up with on for them.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #50
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Stay tuned for "Winnegle."

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #51

Having developed FCA's global technical service information resource system ("TechCONNECT") about 10 years ago, it's a very large initiative and takes a lot of investment to do well. It is the second highest used system in FCA and is core to the dealership service business. Maybe the pooled resources of Winnebago will help put the systems and authoring and processes in place to make the difference.

FCA sells access to the library via a subscription model ("TechAuthority" https://www.techauthority.com/) aimed at non dealer service facilities. As of 5 years ago, there was no free access for owners. I advocated that there should have been (access to one VIN's of info that you are the registered owner if you were opted in to Marketing et al).
Old 09-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #52

What is "FCA"?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
What is "FCA"?
Fiat Chrysler Automobile ie: Chrysler / Ram / Jeep / Fiat / Masarati / AlfaRomeo / Dodge / Plymouth et al.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Amen to those who have said, get professional help.

Both of my son-in-laws are professionals in the consulting / software business. One in consumer products and the other in telecommunications / high-tech. My daughters both worked for the same company before their marriages. They have shared numerous failures stories of companies trying the do customer interfaces themselves.

I won't share specifics, but in the telecon industry the two companies that usually rank worst in customer satisfaction produce their customer interfaces in-house.

Even companies like Google, Microsoft, AT&T etc., hire third-party consulting companies, paying 100's of millions each year to produce software system for both customer and employee interface.

A company IT department typically doesn't even know how to properly spec a customer interface or manage the third-party consultant. One of my son-in-law is currently working as a consultant for a major consumer products company overseeing the third-party consultant work and guiding the company's knowledge and decision making.

The 6 people working at Newmar on this project are a waste of company resources.

On the other hand, customer focus groups, brain-storming needs and desires, can be an important source of pre-design input. Competitive intelligence, some of which naturally comes from using third-party vendors, can also help the design process. After all the goal should be exceptional service for the customer, which includes being better than any competitor's prior efforts.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the purchase of Newmar maybe they were waiting for Winnebago to correct the Newgle problem.
Winnie always had a good reference source.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote