Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #1

Aftermarket LED Fog Lights for 2018 Bay Star

Has anyone added aftermarket LED fog lights adjacent to the factory LED daytime running light strips on their 2018 Bay Star?

I am considering adding a flush mount LED Fog Light similar to the Rough Country 2" Square Flush Mount CREE LED Fog Lights. If possible I would like to wire them into the factory fog light position on the existing headlight knob that is currently unused as opposed to adding a separate switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_180840.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	222545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_141028.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	222546  

CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Are they 30 degree beam spot lights? If so then they might not do what you want.

https://youtu.be/-Q7FNaiWAAs?t=201

With spot lights there can be a super bright spot illuminated but not much else.

https://youtu.be/2s8XSkk1Y9Y?t=13
RV2traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

When ordering this Rough Country Model you select the beam pattern desired at time of order and on of the options is "Fog".
Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
I'm not promoting this brand: https://support.kchilites.com/hc/en-...ight-patterns- -just using the link to show the difference between fog, spot, flood and driving lights.

Fog & driving lights would be street legal.

I put a mix of cheap off road flood & spot lights on my motorhome. I haven't used them while driving yet because it is rare for me to drive at night. They're not meant for street use. My plan is to use the flood lights when turning onto secondary road or when entering dark exits etc. The flood lights cast a really wide beam in all directions so would illuminate tree branches etc.

The spot lights I added were probably not needed. High beam does a good enough job on the road when needed. Maybe they'll come in useful on some moonless night with no oncoming traffic.

Flood lights wouldn't be good in fog as they'd light up all of the line of sight particles in the air.

I have tested my new lights at night while parked and really do like the wide flood light beam.

The ideal combo for me would be street legal fog lights to illuminate a wide area of the road in front of the coach and flood lights for those occasions on dark secondary roads or campground entrances to see well off to the sides and overhead tree branches etc.

I ended up with 3 pairs of lights (4 flood/2spot) on three switches for versatility, appearance and redundancy in case some fail.

You should be able to look up the Rough Country part number to confirm that it is a fog light pattern. If it is then that should be a nice add-on to your coach.

Hopefully this also bumps your post up and someone with a Bay Star will offer some advice.
RV2traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Sorry for the confusion. I posted the wrong link and reference in my initial post. Those Rough Country Lights are NOT fog lights and are NOT approved for on-road use. I am actually looking at a similar looking (form factor) light from Rigid Industries with a SAE on-road approved fog light beam pattern. Duh.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful about adding lights to existing circuits!
The previous owner of my DP swapped all the incandescent bulbs with Halogen!
I'm in the process of replacing , wires, switches and circuit boards caused by over loaded circuits! Leds are not as big of problem, but check you wire sizes and ratings.

Tags
led, light, lights