Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AGM batteries

Good morning everyone. Sorry if there is another thread somewhere explaining this. But i just ordered 8 Lifeline GPL-4CT 220ah 6 volt batteries for my 2015 Dutch Star to replace the dreadful wet cells that came with my coach. I’m looking forward to less maintenance. My question is does anyone know of or have a link to the other Magnum inverter settings other than AGM-1 specifically for a Newmar coach? Thanks in advance for any help. COMMENT: in spite of annual maintenance, my Newmar wet cell batteries off gassed and corroded a couple of my battery cables. I am replacing / repairing them with 3/0 welding cables and heavy duty copper terminals. Doing the same 3/0 to replace the bus bars on my interstate wet cells. I was surprised to see so much corrosion from those wet cells. Acid actually ate away most of one of the terminal ends. Glad i caught this before it had a chance to cause problems on the road. I repainted the entire battery tray and compartment. If you have wet cells now, be sure to remain vigilant on regular cable and corrosion inspection.
4thetwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this document I wrote specifically for the magnum on a Dutch star.

http://www.newmarhoots.com/simple-gu...fe-in-your-rv/
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Take a look at this document I wrote specifically for the magnum on a Dutch star.

Simple Guide to Battery Life in your RV – Newmar Hoots
BTW, excellent reference guide. Thanks for your input.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
BTW, excellent reference guide. Thanks for your input.
Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great write up, thanks. Waiting for part 2 "Solar and Lithium Batteries" Take your time I won't need it for another 4 weeks.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Great write up, thanks. Waiting for part 2 "Solar and Lithium Batteries" Take your time I won't need it for another 4 weeks.
How about you be my ghost writer, since I don't have solar or Lithium?

Of course, if someone wants to donate, I will be willing to write part 2
Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thetwins View Post
Good morning everyone. Sorry if there is another thread somewhere explaining this. But i just ordered 8 Lifeline GPL-4CT 220ah 6 volt batteries for my 2015 Dutch Star to replace the dreadful wet cells that came with my coach. I’m looking forward to less maintenance. My question is does anyone know of or have a link to the other Magnum inverter settings other than AGM-1 specifically for a Newmar coach? Thanks in advance for any help. COMMENT: in spite of annual maintenance, my Newmar wet cell batteries off gassed and corroded a couple of my battery cables. I am replacing / repairing them with 3/0 welding cables and heavy duty copper terminals. Doing the same 3/0 to replace the bus bars on my interstate wet cells. I was surprised to see so much corrosion from those wet cells. Acid actually ate away most of one of the terminal ends. Glad i caught this before it had a chance to cause problems on the road. I repainted the entire battery tray and compartment. If you have wet cells now, be sure to remain vigilant on regular cable and corrosion inspection.
For your new Lifeline batteries you will need Custom settings for the charge profile not AGM1. I sent you a PM.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
For your new Lifeline batteries you will need Custom settings for the charge profile not AGM1. I sent you a PM.

Can you post those settings ? I may need those as well when I replace my batteries.... thanks
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Can you post those settings ? I may need those as well when I replace my batteries.... thanks
Each installation is different (number of inverters, size of charger, number and size of batteries etc) so all settings may not apply or be correct. When you upgrade your batteries send me a PM and I can send you the settings.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
For Lifeline GPL-4CT batteries the charge profile settings are Custom. Absorb=14.3v, Float=13.3v and Equalize=15.5v. NOTE: This is only one of 10 settings for the Magnum remote panel.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't help you with the settings for your particular coach, but I can tell you that you are going to love those AGM batteries, especially if the off gassing of the lead acid batteries has been such a huge problem.

I've had mine for over 4 years now, and they are still going strong. I have them on a high quality charger 24/7, except when I disconnect the charger to let them get a little workout now and then.

One of the best investments I have ever made, would not hesitate to do it again.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the great replies. Clearly, power generation via batteries can quickly become a complex matter I greatly appreciate the thorough article published. It’s interesting about removal and reinstall sequence of the positive power cable(s). That is precisely the opposite of a recent video I saw by RV geeks who switched to Lifeline AGM. His note is the Negative main should be the first off and the last on. The published article says positive main needs to be first off and last on for reasons which make sense to me. It can be confusing to someone without engineering level knowledge of batteries. Moreover, I’m willing to bet that most Newmar dealer technicians wouldn’t know this nor would they follow cable sequence removal. Newmar in particular is not helpful in disclaiming anything as critical as possibilities of damaging an inverter. In fact, virtually all of my factory installed battery cables were installed cable to terminal poorly with copious amounts of exposed cable between the terminal end and the cable shielding. I followed the positive off first and will make sure main positive on last. But one wonders why not just remove the cable with the Magnum module first? Finally, I still see varied recommendations on the Magnum settings with the Lifeline GPL-4CTs. It would be nice if Newmar Corp would take responsibility in a matter as critical as House battery power and schematics for Lifeline. The Chinese batteries that Newmar promotes are clearly not the choice for coach owners who wish to invest in reliable batteries.
4thetwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #13

There is no engineering involved; when the negative terminal is attached, the batteries are "hot" to chassis ground. That means that whenever you are messing around with the battery wires there is a danger that touching a metal wrench to a battery and accidentally touching the chassis could cause a short.

These batteries are capable of immense current, thousands of amps, in fact. Worst case could cause the battery to explode, scattering acid all over you and the battery compartment. That is a disaster you do not want to contemplate.

Disconnect the ground (negative) wire first. That way the battery is NOT hot to ground.

You still need to be careful to avoid letting battery terminals short together, but it's safer than having the chassis grounded.

Hook up the negative terminal last.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
There is no engineering involved; when the negative terminal is attached, the batteries are "hot" to chassis ground. That means that whenever you are messing around with the battery wires there is a danger that touching a metal wrench to a battery and accidentally touching the chassis could cause a short.

These batteries are capable of immense current, thousands of amps, in fact. Worst case could cause the battery to explode, scattering acid all over you and the battery compartment. That is a disaster you do not want to contemplate.

Disconnect the ground (negative) wire first. That way the battery is NOT hot to ground.

You still need to be careful to avoid letting battery terminals short together, but it's safer than having the chassis grounded.

Hook up the negative terminal last.

HTH

Tom
Tlgpe:

Please read the documentation or manual from magnum. The advice you are giving will destroy the ags,bmk, and remotes for magnum. This is clearly documented.

You must always disconnect positive first and connect positive last.

Tags
batteries