Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

Thought I would start a separate post in regards to AGM batteries. Many high end all electric MH's are going AGM instead of flooded cell batteries. In my own experience the corrosion build up in and around the batteries on all electric units is near the unaceptable.

I don't know whether this relates to the two battery fires I posted separately about.

I clean mine regularly and have recently added the oil additive. Does not seem that much better.

So, I would like to hear from those using AGM batteries as to their performance. If you know the make and model number would help as I may be ready to switch.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

Thought I would start a separate post in regards to AGM batteries. Many high end all electric MH's are going AGM instead of flooded cell batteries. In my own experience the corrosion build up in and around the batteries on all electric units is near the unaceptable.

I don't know whether this relates to the two battery fires I posted separately about.

I clean mine regularly and have recently added the oil additive. Does not seem that much better.

So, I would like to hear from those using AGM batteries as to their performance. If you know the make and model number would help as I may be ready to switch.

Peter
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #3

In 2002 I installed Lifeline AGM batteries (GPL-4CT) in my 2000 Dutch Star. I chose the 6-volt batteries in that size becasue they were a direct replacement for the Exide batteries Newmar installed.

When I bought my 2005 Dutch Star it came with Interstate batteries and they were brand new because I was standing in the dealer's parking lot when my motorhome arrived. I fully charged the batteries and then dropped them to 50% charge, then fully charged them again overnight. Then I ran a 7 hour 20-amp load test on both sets of batteries, the old AGM's and the new Interstates. After the load test the Interstates were reading 12.25 volts and the AGM's were reading 12.55 volts, both reading were at the batteries with a quality Fluke meter. So I put the old AGMs in the new motorhome and the new Interstates in the old motorhome I traded in.

My AGMs fully charged and after resting a few hours show 12.9 volts while the Interstates showed 12.7 volts. AGMs will take a faster charge and that is important to me because I do a lot of boondocking. Many times at night we watch two televisions, use the satellite receiver, have two laptops on, plus a few lights. When we go to bed the AGMs still show 12.6 - 12.7 volts while the Interstates would be down to 12.3 - 12.4 volts.

Another advantage of AGMs is once installed you can forget them. Last month someone asked me about my batteries and I realized I had not looked at them in 7 months. I opened the bay door and saw they looked just like new except dusty. I closed the bay and will look at them again next summer.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

Thanks Norm, great info. Did it require that you add any regulating equipment to your altenator to control the charge? Also did you have to change the chassis batteries to AGM as they are charged by both the charger and altenator?

Peter
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #5

The only thing I changed was I set the Inverter/Charger to AGM. My alternator puts out a steady 13.8 volts which is good for both the house and chassis batteries. Actually, the charging requirement for Lifeline AGMs and wet cell batteries is about that same. I'm a fulltimer and I have been charging this way over five years without any problems.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #6

Again, thanks Norm. Looks like it may be the way to go.

Peter
Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #7

Peter,

We had AGM's put in during our visit to the factory last April. Like you the corrosion in our '07 Essex was unacceptable.

No corrosion anymore and we are very happy with their performance. We have an all electric coach and have done a fair amount of boondocking.

The factory changed the setting on the charger, since AGM's can be charged at a faster rate.

I would not have another coach without AGM's. Also they seem to be coming down pretty fast in Price.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Road Pilot:
Peter,

We had AGM's put in during our visit to the factory last April.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Road Pilot,
Mind me asking what the charge for the conversion was?

Thanks, Daryl

2008 MADP 4521
2006 Acura TL Toad
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #9

Thanks Dick. That's exactly what I need, a true user view of the AGM's

Peter
Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #10

Hi Peter,
No mess, no fuss is my answer. At Newmar two weeks ago, we had an additional tray added so that we can add two more AGM batteries for a total of eight. Regardless of type, eight batteries should be the standard for an all electric coach. Product separation you know! RB is looking great and your absence is noted.
John

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
...AGM batteries. Many high end all electric MH's are going AGM instead of flooded cell batteries. ...I would like to hear from those using AGM batteries as to their performance. If you know the make and model number would help as I may be ready to switch.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOVE THEM

We have an OLD, LOW-END MH that's NOT all electric and we love our AGM's

We're dry campers about 180+ days a year and use solar power.

We have 4 Concorde, Lifeline, GPL-4CT batteries which are AGM 6 volt Golf Cart batteries. I installed them about 3 years ago and other than checking the connections I haven't touched them.

Doubt I'll ever own a different battery type until Lithium-Ion's come down in price about 90%

Mac
Old 11-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #12

John, Haven't heard from you forever. I wondered how those batteries had worked out. Great idea installing the additional two. That put you considerably high AMP rating than prior to switching up as North Trail was incorrect telling you the AGM's were larger than the wet cell you had. They were the same 220 amps 20/20 rating. But by looking at some of the posts, they aren't that accurate when it comes to batteries. Anyway, seems you had the vision before all us pilgrams, but we've seen the light. See you soon, maybe January.

Mac, Cool, same model, 220 amps. Thanks for the input, this is sounding better by the minute.

Peter
Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #13

Peter,

If you have room to accomodate the next series of Lifeline 6 volt, (they are approximately 2" taller) you might want to review them as well. They are 300 amp/hr batteries so they offer a significant improvement over the 220 hour units. They are also heavier, so obviously you want to look at that as well.

Hope this is of assistance.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #14

Mike, the heigth would be too high. The only thing is if they could be mounted safely on their side. There might be room in that case, however for looks sake, the convential mounting may be the way to go and live with the 8 220's. I must say, the 880 amp hour total I have now are working well, even in a boondocking situation.

Peter