Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #1

AGM Batteries as a Special

Has anyone asked for AGM batteries as a special and ask for Lifeline batteries? The normal Discover AGM are about 66#. The Lifeline GPL-6CT are 90# and 3 inches taller would you install in 2015 Dutchstar? Thanks for any help.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Canuck53,
Go with the Lifeline batteries. Discover AGMs are junk. I have had both. I now have Lifeline and am very pleased. As to the weight, here are some thoughts.
1. When it comes to batteries size matters. The larger the battery the longer it provides power. Get the largest that will fit in the tray.
However,
2. If you are a DIY person, the 90 pounds must be taken into consideration. I have the same concern as you. My Lifeline purchase was based on the weight I can handle. I got the lighter batteries because there is no way I can remove/install a 90 pound battery. However, since I am almost always connected to shore power, the batteries must provide power only during travel.

The bottom line is how you will use the batteries. If you really need to maximize the power, the heavier batteries are the correct choice. If you are like me, the lighter batteries will do just fine. Lifeline has lighter batteries than the one mentioned in your post. I purchased the GPL-4CT. Go to http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=14 and take a look.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

Hi Gary,

I like the whole idea of AGM and 1 less thing to worry about as a rookie RVer. I was hoping Newmar would install the Lifeline I stead of the Discover AGM's. Yes weight is a factor but if it fits and the coach/tray can handle it then maybe the larger size but the 4 would be fine.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #4

I don't know about other models but Newmar will only supply AGM's as a special order on "all electric" Ventana's.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Yes I'm sure they will supply AGM as a special order on the DS but I would like to specify the Lifeline brand not the Discover brand.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would not go with AGM's unless access for maintenance is an issue, but then I have worked with flooded wet cells since I was in my teens, and I am now in my 60s. I do not feel they justify their cost.

HOWEVER,, Many disagree with me, and if you do go for it.

And by all means, go with LIFELINE.

Do be aware that most good battery companies make a few different "GC-2" class batteries,, Some are a bit shorter, and lighter, and hold less power (like 210 amp hours) some are taller, Heavy as blazes and hold 250,, Most are 220-230.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
However, since I am almost always connected to shore power, the batteries must provide power only during travel.
In that case flooded wet cells would work just as well and be far cheaper in the first place and at replacement time.
Our OEM Interstate U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and were good enough at that point for at least overnight at a Wal*Mart, let alone just between hookups!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

Looks like I will be asking for Lifeline batteries as a special of a special. I'm 60 and never looked after batteries so I will look to simplify.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think Newmar will upgrade the Discovery batteries to Lifeline. In my case they refused it. All battery interconnect cables had to be customized. You may want to negotiate with your dealer to trade your new batteries to the Lifeline series, as one of the IRV2 posters did in 2013.
By the way, my Discover AGMs lasted over 6 years.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #10

Andy good to know thanks. I was hoping somebody had given it a shot. What did you do for hour 2015 DS? AGM or Stock batteries?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I went with the 8 AGMs. They are the Discovery batteries which are the same terminal configuration as the standard batteries. All the serial interconnects are solid copper bars, so changing them to Lifeline requires at least 4 custom cables to be fabricated.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Has anyone asked for AGM batteries as a special and ask for Lifeline batteries? The normal Discover AGM are about 66#. The Lifeline GPL-6CT are 90# and 3 inches taller would you install in 2015 Dutchstar? Thanks for any help.
We custom ordered AGM batteries with our 2015 Ventana 4037. I didn't specify a brand and assume that Newmar will use whatever they normally use.

I do have Lifeline's on my current coach and will probably consider changing to them 10 years from now when the Newmar AGM's wear out.

I'm with you and have no desire to maintain 8 flooded cell coach batteries. One less thing to NEVER have to worry about.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #13

I have ordered AGM for my Ventana as there is no way I am going to check the water level on 24 cells. Someone said they are not cost effective, which may be true, but if you are paying $300k+ for a motorhome I think you can afford the AGM's for peace of mind.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

I plan to take factory delivery so maybe the service dept would replace the originals with AGM of my choices?

Tags
batteries